PDA

View Full Version : Washing Bedding

shburks
08-25-2004, 05:06 PM
I know all bedding should be washed before baby uses them, but does that include things like the bumper and the crib skirt? When you wash them (and their clothes), do you also use a fragrance-free dryer sheet/fabric softener?

Susan

Rikkele
08-26-2004, 11:48 PM
We washed everything except the crib skirt although I know from previous posts on this topic that most here washed everything. I was worried about washing the bumper but then figured if it couldn't withstand the washer it wasn't worth the $150 I paid for it (stupid I know!). This required a trip to the laundromat for their extra large capacity washer. Also, use of dryer sheets/fabric softener is not recommended at all as these (and soaps like Dreft) actually add a flammable chemical residue to clothes. HTH!

shburks
08-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks. Concerning the fabric softener, I'd never heard that--very interesting. I had heard that Dreft could do that, but I'm not planning on using it anyway--just a dye-free, fragrance-free detergent.

Susan

bostonsmama
08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Is there a chemical in the perfume of the fabric softener, or is it just the properties that soften the material that make it more flammable? A good friend of mine uses the Downy Free (No dyes, no perfumes) on her son's clothing (5 mo. old) along with All Free & Clear (same) with good results....but I bet if she knew she was putting her son at risk for his jammies catching on fire more easily, she'd stop.

Is there a safety website we can visit to check out the logistics of it all?

TIA, it's amazing the things we learn every day.

Rikkele
08-27-2004, 03:51 PM
I think it has something to do with the fabric softener itself and not necessarily the perfume. I got this info right out of the BBBook on page 166 of the 5th edition. Not too sure of their source for this info but I will do a little more research to see if I find anything. I don't use any fabric softener just to be sure and have not found it to be necessary.

ribbit1019
08-28-2004, 04:15 AM
About washing that bumper: make sure you don't dry it on high like I did (wasn't thinking and forgot to change the setting) mine won't fit around the crib now....and is too expensive to replace. I would recommend even hanging it to dry and then air fluffing it if you have that setting! I use All Free and Clear too, no softners or dryer sheets and my 3 mo old is fine. And her clothes are no worse for the wear, there are a select few that I have to pull out of the dryer right away and that is all. I would rather smell her wonderful baby scent then fabric softners/sheets anyway. :O) Good Luck!

Christine

shburks
08-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks again, everyone. There isn't any problems with static cling without using fabric softener?

BTW, Christine, I'm with you--I'd really smell baby smell, too! Just making sure I'm doing things right!!

Susan

hellosmiletoday
08-29-2004, 10:13 PM
I had not heard about the problems with Dreft so I did a quick search and found that the Dreft website states that Dreft DOES NOT alter flammability of fabric. I think there must be an error in the BB book regarding Dreft. THE BB book states that soap flakes are bad...but from I have read thus far, Dreft is not composed of soap flakes. Fabric softener is flammable, but Dreft appears to be fine...but I may be wrong.

I have been using Ivory Snow which is cheaper, but it is a "gentle" detergent and Dreft is supposed to be better for stains. I'd like to find a dye-free baby friendly detergent that is stronger than Ivory.

If I have time I will do more research on the topic and update, maybe post in another forum...but its not likely cause I'm trying to keep updated on hurricane Frances.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04