PDA

View Full Version : An alternative bumper idea?

cgpaytas
01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I'll be making the crib skirt and window treatments and coordinating the sheets to them. I was going to make the bumper, but then thought maybe I would make it too thick. So my question is, what do you think of having a crocheted bumper? I thought it might work since there are a lot of holes and it's pretty squishy. Has anyone done this or can you think of a reason I shouldn't? I'm a first timer and I am in unchartered waters.

TIA!
Christina

Momof3Labs
01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I crochet, and can't picture what you want to do. Do you plan to stuff it with something?

cgpaytas
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't crochet, so maybe it won't work. But here's my thought. It wouldn't be stuffed, just the connected squares. So, lets say it would be 5 squares at the top and bottom and 10-15 squares for both sides.

I'm not sure if I explained it properly.

melonkelli
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
If you have an Ikea near you, they carry a basic white bumper for about $13. (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=11085&langId=-1&parentCats=10106*10338)

You could crochet a tube-like cover for it and then hang it like a regular bumper. Or crochet a strip the same size as the bumper and stitch in on the outside (parent-visible) side of the bumper. You don't want fingers/toes to get snagged in the holes of the crochet.

The cloth that you're using for the crib skirt and window treatments can be used to make a cover for the inexpensive bumper as well.

Of course, you would have to be careful to remove the bumper (or any bumper) when baby is old enough to pull up and/or use the bumper as a step to get out of the crib.

kelli

Momof3Labs
01-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, a bumper needs some substance so that it kinda stands up on its own (they tend to slip down otherwise, even if tied tightly), and a crochet bumper definitely would not. And I'm not sure how a crochet bumper would offer any kind of protection from a bumped head or whatever - but it would be a place to snag fingers and such.

You don't *need* a bumper, either.