PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a "non-changing table" - (cross posted)

Judegirl
02-05-2005, 08:58 AM
My SIL is looking for a changing table to keep in her living room, but she wants one that doesn't look like a changing table; kind of like a buffet or a hutch, with cabinets and drawers that she can easily transform into an appropriate piece for the living room. She needs in in pine, or unifinished. Does anyone have any idea where I might begin looking?

Thanks much,
Jude

C99
02-07-2005, 12:37 AM
I've been looking for something similar, but it's to go in a walk-in closet.

IKEA is a great place to start looking, since so much of their stuff is adaptable for multiple purposes. I don't know what your SIL's budget is like, but it's inexpensive as well. For other inexpensive options, I'd check buffets at Pier 1, Cost Plus, and vintage stores or flea markets.

Pottery Barn makes a great plain buffet that would work well as a changing table, I think. I saw it in a design magazine (the owners had used it in a bathroom), but it was too wide for our closet.

Another idea is to get one or two stock kitchen cabinets and cover it w/ a granite top or something. This is a more expensive design option though, depending on where you go for the cabinets.