PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for this?

mastry
03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I designed and made this diaper organizer/shelf and a neighbor just asked me if I could make one for her sister-in-law. I have no idea what to charge, but was curious as to what people would be willing to pay for something like this.

My DH and I love it because it's so functional. It's a great place to store diapers, display, and decorate a wall. When my DD is older, I am planning to use it to store dolls, stuffed animals and toys.

tinkerbell1217
03-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I have seen similar items with coordinated bedding sets going for around $40-$65. Since you are making it by hand its extra special. I would charge at least $40 depending on how long it takes and the price of fabrics, etc.. Its really cute!

amp
03-17-2005, 08:21 AM
That is super cute! But I have no idea how much it's worth since I've never seen one before. Very nice work!

mama2galpals
03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
i think that's a great idea and a very cute item. try to figure out how much it will cost for you to make it including fabric and all materials and how much time it will cost. that will help you figure out a cost.

i'd say $40 would be a reasonable amount.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

tarabenet
03-21-2005, 09:50 AM
I work part-time in a sewing and sewing machine store. The standard rate that is suggested for sewing is $20 per hour, plus your materials, of course.

Bottom line: what is your time worth to you? Figure out how long it takes you to make it, then think about what hourly rate would be enough to make you take a job. Would you go to work at a job that paid $5 an hour? Would $10 sound OK to you? Add up your hourly and your materials, and there you have your minimum acceptable price. (Of course, when doing something special for a dear friend, you may want to charge less -- maybe even just for materials.)

If you decide to make and sell these (it is very cute, and a very useful design!), you should get $40 easily. I would think that cute fabrics or even made-to-order personalized things would go for anywhere from $50 to $100, depending on your materials and market.

Good luck!

mastry
03-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your advice (especially since your and "insider").

mastry
03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your advice (especially from an "insider").