PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bedding Sewing Patterns

tammyvt
03-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to get some input from the ladies out there. I love the look of the custom crib bedding but hate the prices. My grandmother is an excellent seamstress so I was thinking about buying the fabric and having her sew something together. I love the look of the Javis Davis bedding and am going for that type of look. However, I can't seem to find any type of patterns. I've searched all over the internet and McCalls and Simplicity don't have much too choose from.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

s7714
03-29-2005, 12:37 AM
As a sewer myself, I don't see anything offered by Jarvis Davis that couldn't be easily created by simply doing some minor modifications to one of the basic patterns McCalls, Simplicity, etc. offers. Things like adding ruffles, adjusting segments of bumpers, etc. should be pretty easy for an experienced sewer. IMHO the most outstanding feature of the Jarvis Davis items seems to be more the fabric selection/coordination vs. the construction.

Have you shown your GMA pictures of what you like to see if she might just be able to use of the patterns out there?

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05

C99
03-29-2005, 12:38 AM
I used a pattern to make my crib skirt and was going to make a crib bumper as well, but never got around to it. I just used a standard pattern from one of the big ones -- Simplicity, McCall's, Vogue, SewEasy, etc. W/ custom bedding, it's really the fabric that makes it stand out. I can't imagine how much variance there would really be between patterns of nursery gear.

mastry
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
My friend and I sewed everying thing in my DD's nursery and didn't use a single pattern. I had never sewn before, so I had no clue what I was doing! I pretty much designed it after some of the Wendy Bellisimo bedding that I had seen. If you take your grandmother with you to look at some of the bedding you like, she might be able to do it without a pattern (I'm sure hers will look better than ours since she's a seamstress).

As a word of advice, I decided make the bumper in four separate pieces, which has worked out wonderfully. My DD started standing in her crib at 5 months and instead of taking the entire bumper out, I just took the front piece out. The other three gave her head some protection when she wiped out in the crib and it still looks pretty!

Have fun! I attached a picture of what my design looks like...

tammyvt
03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Your bedding looks awesome! Thanks for the pic's...this helps a lot. I love the pictures above your crib with your baby's name. Did you make those as well? They are so cute.

mama2galpals
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow! That bedding is so great (I can't believe you didn't know how to sew). I also love the name letters above the crib.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

mama2galpals
03-29-2005, 01:12 PM
That's strange because I have seen patterns for crib bedding (including bumpers blanket and accessories) in fabric stores like joann's, fabric bonanza, and even walmart. i'm not sure of the brand though.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

mastry
03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks! I had someone make the canvases for me. She's pretty cheap...only charged $25 for each letter.