PDA

View Full Version : looking for a "cute" way to darken my ds's room

knaidel
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Currently, we have venetian blinds on the windows of tha baby's room. I would like to get something that blocks the light better. Shades is the obvious answer, but as long as I'm spending the cash, I'd like to get something cute! I'm thinking curtains with some sort of thick backing/interfacing or something. Any ideas where I could find such an item?

kaitlinsmommy
05-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I saw some cute gingham room-darkening curtains in the PBK catalog. We are building a house and I'm planning to get them for my kids' rooms.

Melanie
05-06-2005, 11:24 PM
We did end up using the vinyl shades but it rolls up and is hidden during the day by Ds' valance. That was the best thing we found for total light blocking. For during the day he has wood blinds.

http://lilypie.com/baby4/011106/1/2/0/+10/.png[/url]

Expecting #2 - A Girl!
http://lilypie.com/days/050904/0/24/0/-8/.png[/url]

HannaAddict
05-15-2005, 03:03 AM
We ended up getting blackout panels from pottery barn kids and then cute PBK curtains to go over the cordless cellular shades we started with. The blackout panels work great, if the curtains you like don't have a thick enough liner.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

lisbeth916
05-20-2005, 09:35 AM
I made curtains for my daughers room out of denim. It blocks the light just fine. To make it more feminine, lavendar buttons were sewn on the tabs. I figured that if I have a boy next I will just switch the buttons to sage. The tie backs also have the buttons on them. I think I have a picture, if you are interested. HTH~Beth

athensmom
05-23-2005, 09:28 AM
We used roller shades and sponged a night time scene on them. I used two shades of blue paint and sponged them on to make a night time sky. I let the blue dry and then you can either use glow in the dark stars and moons stickers, or stencil them on in a creamy yellow. The dark blue paint really helps block out the light.

You could also remove the vinal from the shades and replace it with a dark printed calico fabric. Its very cheap and comes in lots of nice prints. Just glue gun the bottom to make an end seam.

spencersmommy
06-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I've found that planatation shutters are a great way to darken the room and look nice. ;-) We couldn't afford the whole house yet, but we got them for the kids' rooms and the front of the house. I love them! :-)