PDA

View Full Version : Where to find black-out cutains or shades?

MegND95
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
My 16m old ds is waking at 5 am every morning, due to the sun coming through his east facing window. 5 am is just too early in my house, so we are hoping that by installing room darkening shades, he might sleep in a little later. We have standard wood-panel blinds in the room now, but they are not doing the trick. Any hints on where I can find them?

Thanks!

JTsMom
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you can find them just about everywhere- JC Penney, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.

momtoemma
07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Pottery Barn Kids also makes black-out curtains or panels.

vdrake71
07-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I bought Room darkening blinds from Home Depot. The manufacture is Bali. They are special order and they are great. The only problem is the price.

JenaW
07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
We got some at Home Depot for about $6 per shade. They are just plain, white, heavy, pull-down shades with the wooden dowel in the bottom (no strings or anything). HD will cut them to size to fir your window. They are not the prettiest (very plain) but we have them inside our curtains so you don't see them and they do the trick. Great deal for the price!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

calv
07-21-2005, 01:25 PM
do you know who the maker/brand is or is it a depot brand? Thanks for the info!

ajrivers
07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
There is a company called Country Curtains on the web that has tab top curtains that are room darkening. I think that's what we are going to end up ordering.

JenaW
07-22-2005, 11:47 AM
I am not sure of the brand because DH got them. I just checked on them now and there is no marking that I see. I do know they are plain white and came in a plastic wrapper. The store cut them to size for us, and even recut them free when we got them home and they didn't fit properly. We did not order them, they were right in the store. DH said they had another style that was a bit "prettier" and more expensive, but these have worked great for us.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

karolyp
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I got some room darkening shades at Bed Bath & Beyond. Granted they are a little more expensive, but they easily attached the curtains I already had up and I used a 20% off coupon too. Here is the link to them

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=104430

I've also seen the same thing, for the same price, at Linens and Things

However, if you're good with a sewing maching and got the time, you can get the material and make them yourself. I've seen the same "black out" material at Joanns for around $6 a yard.

HTH
Karoly

lmintzer
07-22-2005, 07:09 PM
We also bought Bali's "Midnight" blackout cellular shades from Home Depot for both kids' rooms. We got them without any cords, so they are also very safe. They aren't as pretty as the cellulars we picked for the other rooms in the house, but they really work to keep a room quite dark. The look is very neat and stream-lined as well. The downside was the price. These things are costly!

Melanie
07-22-2005, 10:25 PM
>We got some at Home Depot for about $6 per shade. They are
>just plain, white, heavy, pull-down shades with the wooden
>dowel in the bottom (no strings or anything). HD will cut
>them to size to fir your window. They are not the prettiest
>(very plain) but we have them inside our curtains so you don't
>see them and they do the trick. Great deal for the price!
>

Same here. Though I recommend buying the nicest roller shades they offer (I think ours had 2-3 "grades" of shade). That is what we have for Ds and have never had a problem. Dh recently came home with two of the cheaper ones for ours & baby's room and I detest them! They don't roll as well and take multiple tries to get them up/down.

2lovingkids
07-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I had the same problem with my ds. I bought the "warm window" from JoAnn's and made roman shades. Sounds like a lot of work... I know. It is a little time consuming. However, it keeps his room cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and now he sleeps until 7:30 (instead of 5:30). Great solution if you are up for being crafty.

ekbecker1
07-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I also got the cellular-type shades from Home Depot. I tried the roller shades from Home Depot first, but they didn't do the trick. Even thought I got the thickest vinyl they had, the light still came in from the sides because the shade curled inwards on the sides. KWIM? The cellular shades hang down straight and cover the window all the way to the edges so no light can get in. We have 2 average size windows in the nursery and it was around $85 total.

supercalifragilous
07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
The Home Depot $6 ones I believe are made by Redi-Shade. They're the ones that stick at the top, right? They have two kinds - one with the wooden dowel at the bottom (for easy folding) and one without.

We got these but they still let in too much light for DD - but DD has to have it PITCH BLACK.

We ended up having to get blackout curtain fabric at JoAnn's when it was on sale and made our own curtains. Even the light peering in from the top/sides was waking her up so we actually have to pin the sides down and install the curtain higher. What a pain - but it means an extra 3 hours of sleep for her (or should I say us). ;)