PDA

View Full Version : Best handprint/footprint keepsake sets?

twodogs
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I am a new mom to a 3 week old and would like to do a handprint and/or footprint keepsake set. I was given one from Red Envelope that has a material for making an impression of the foot and then a photo in a frame. I had trouble making the impression because the material seemed so stiff, and I really had to press on her foot (ouch!). So, I am hoping for suggestions on kits that use an ink pad instead, and hopefully one that has several different ages in it (1mo, 3mos, 6mos etc). Also, was wanting one that has frames so they could be hung on her wall eventually. Does anyone have a favorite? Thanks!

August Mom
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
I can't help with the inkpad variety (although I'm thinking that PBK may have those), but wanted to mention that I have never been successful with the plaster of paris concoctions. Those are just a mess IMO. My favorite method has been the material you received from Red Envelope. I think it's the same stuff I used - sort of like Crayola Model Magic. I think the key is that you need to massage it before working with it to get it soft. Then take it out of the package and roll it out, etc.

SarahK
07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
We used the Red Envelope one for our daughter when she was one week old and it worked really well for us--we did have to press hard though, but she didn't seem to mind too much. I loved that we could smoosh the clay and redo it a bunch of times until we got it just right. I'm sorry it didn't work well for you.

karolyp
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I bought a beautiful foot impression/ picture frame at Linens and Things. The link is below

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1365232&cp=1331609.1331975.1334517&parentPage=family

It was $29.99 and I was able to use a 20% off coupon. The impression material was pretty soft and easy to use. And after making the foot impression, I had enough leftover material to make a hand impression in which I rolled out a small circle, took her hand impression, punched two holes in the top, and tied a pink ribbon through so that I could hang it up (like a christmas ornament). Anyhow, I think the frame is just beautiful.

HTH
Karoly

twodogs
07-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I am now thinking of trying to buy some non-toxic paint and use it to make a stamp of her foot and hand. Then I can frame them and label them with her age at the time they were taken (since I want to do several, I don't think I want to buy one of the pre-made kits each time due to cost). Of course, I am not very crafty, so they may not turn out. If anyone has done this and had success, please share the "how-to." Thanks!

hellosmiletoday
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I successfully was got foot prints and hand prints (when she was 9 mo and one year) with a stamp kit, using archival quality paper. THe stamp pads were purchased at Get Smart educational supply stores.

We also have PBK tower, but our first try at getting handprint failed! Its very hard to use.