PDA

View Full Version : Need Room Decorating/Accessory Suggestions

amyff
09-08-2005, 12:53 AM
My daughter's "big girl room" walls are bare! What can I do to spice things up? I am thinking of dolly dresses on little hangers from a peg shelf or in a shadow box. Have any of you seen wall art (canvas would be great so I don't have to frame it) or accessories to coordinate with her bedding. I think vintage-looking art would be sweet.

http://tinyurl.com/ct39h

Any suggestions are welcome...I have no talent and a baby with colic so my internet research time is not what it used to be!

Mama to EllieCat
09-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi

I just wanted to say that I chose a very similar bedding for my 2 year old's room in our almost-built house. Your ideas of little doll dresses is great!

I was going to do something with vintage paper dolls and their clothes, but I may steal your idea.

I found a wooden baby doll crib at a garage sale, painted it colors to match and will pick out a vintage looking fabric and make a quilt for it. I also found a wooden baby high chair that I painted to match the crib. I have a few dolls that are vintage looking to put in the crib and chair. After that, I am at a loss.

Keep me updated on your progress!

nfowife
09-22-2005, 10:21 AM
I think doll clothes would be so cute, maybe you could frame them if you don't want to hang them and let them get all dusty!

Another idea that lots of people use is to have wood letters spell out her name, there are lots of fonts and you can do a "shabby shic" type of finish. Check out woodlandmanufacturing.com or lucysplayhouse.com .

Another idea is a sign with a cute saying, I got a cute one on ebay made by a lady who has a store called the "shabby chic sign shop". Here's her ebay store address: http://stores.ebay.com/Shabby-Sign-Shoppe

athensmom
09-22-2005, 11:27 AM
There is soooo much potential for a room like this! First off I would paint the room a pretty base color that would give it a little kick- pale pink, sage green, sunflower yellow. Because you are going vintage- do the real vintage thing and hit the flea markets. You can find great and cheap mix and match piece and with a little primer and spray paint pull everything together. I also like the idea of the doll dresses. I would do one of two things:

1: get small peg board chair railing and line the walls about 3/4 up- and then you can use the pegs to either hang dresses, art work, photos, sweaters...

2: do the same lining around the room with cloths line and hang the dresses and other items with clothes pins.

When I was re-doing my daughters' room recently I got varying size wooden stars at the craft store and spray mounted different colored and printed craft paper on them and nailed them to the wall. I used small tacks so they wouldn't show through. I did clusters of stars on the top 1/3 of their room. I also took large Chagall prints (maybe you could pick a more vintage friendly artist like Georgia O Keefe) prints and spray mounted them to foam board and hung them on the wall.

Lastly, I had a friend who was good with photography take B&W photos of my girls and blew them up to 8x10 and put them in inexpensive oversized frames for their room. They cost less than $10.00 to do.

Good luck!!

PS- try Rofling for the colic- works like a dream~!http://www.rolf.org/

Jen Fleece
Killan 10/31/00
Eloise 5/20/03

amp
09-22-2005, 02:06 PM
PP's gave some great ideas that I would follow.

I thought I'd also suggest seeing if there's anything that meets your needs on ebay. For example, we have PBK bedding and I've found that there are quite a few people on ebay who make prints or canvases or wall letters that are based on some of the PBK themes. Perhaps there are also some for LON bedding. Just a thought. I haven't actually looked.

Tondi G
10-05-2005, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine has an ebay store and makes a ton of stuff from PBK fabrics .... she can do custom work too with any fabrics!!! Check out her ebay store and see if there is anything you like... she may be able to help you get what you want!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/3-Buttons-N-2-Bows

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05