PDA

View Full Version : Would you use US size bedding on a European crib?

kozachka
10-14-2005, 06:18 PM
We are moving to Ukraine next week and I am debating whether to take our PBK Outer Space set with us. We will be getting a convertible crib at our destination upon arrival but I don't know whether I'll like the bedding available locally.

The problem is that everything is smaller in Europe so our sheets would a tad too big for the mattress. Crib size: Ukrainian 120x60 cm, imported (European?) 125x63, PBK sheet 132x71. Do you think it would be a problem? DS is 22 months old and has been using blankets for a while so I don't think it is very likely that he'll pull a sheet over his head.

nfowife
10-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't think it will be a problem, but you can buy those elastic sheet-keeper things to put under the sheets to hold them nice and tight (for looks more than safety) if you want. They are pretty inexpensive and I think they'd do the trick.

TylersMommy
10-15-2005, 05:38 PM
We live in Germany and I have a standard US crib bedding set that fits on the crib here. The sheet is a little snug making it a little harder to get on, but once its on....it's on! I would definately bring your own bedding that you really like. The selection here is pretty much...bears, bears, ducks and bears. Really hideous. And this is a western European country so I would think the selection here would be even better than the Ukraine? Good luck with whatever you decide!

newbelly2002
10-16-2005, 06:58 AM
The pp covered it pretty well. I will say that the US blankets will not fit very well into the traditional European size duvets (if you choose that route). The blanket fits in his crib (or used to at least) but not ideally. What I did was bought the blanket, bedskirt etc from the States. Then bought a plain solid colored sheet and bumper to fit the European mattress. Then again, our son was only 5 weeks when we moved, so there was more cause for concern.

Tyler, where in germany are you? We're in Berlin. I agree that in the major stores (Spielemax, Happy Baby, Babywalz etc) the majority is bears and ducks. However, if you check out some of the boutiques, the natural (Eco) stores, and especially the web--say some places like Haba and teh like--they have some really gorgeous options. I think that's what we're going to do this time as having to stop-gap everything to fit drove me crazy with Dante.

Good luck with the move!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod