PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU prevent flat head?

veronica
11-13-2005, 08:06 AM
I am about to have my first baby and have know that sleep positioners are a clear hazard for baby. The most recent studies seem to have confused a lot of people since I just took an infant care class where the instructor recommended the use of them. At any rate, I do not plan to use one at all but have also heard of all the new cases of "flat" head. Is there anything out there that can help prevent this. I do plan on laying the baby down in different directions to encourage her to turn her head toward different sides (since I read that babies like to face away from a wall), but am wondering, WHAT DO YOU DO?

kahplayground
11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
DD is now 10-1/2 months old with a close to perfect head. I am also a neonatal intensive care RN who has taken care of a lot of babies with flat heads (back or sides). I recommend that you make sure you give dc lot of tummy time. Start early. At the beginning, just hold her chest to chest, this will allow her to work on her head control and give the back of her head a chance to grow. Then at about 1-2 months, put a blanket on the floor with stuffed animals for her to look at (when she is awake of course) and lay down on the floor with her. Just do this for about 10-15 minutes every day and it works! Also, when you change the diaper, unless you have a changer where you stand at her feet, lay her down in different directions as well (just like you were planning to do in the crib).

Hope this helps and congrats!

Karin
~mommy to Reagan 1/18/2005

sidmand
11-29-2005, 08:00 AM
That's all great advice, I just wanted to mention to not be surprised if your DC actually favors one side over the other for about 8-10 weeks and will only turn that way in the crib or when you pick them up or put them down anywhere. I forget what this is called, but very common for babies to only look one way and so one side of the back does get a bit flatter at first than the other, but it should even out once they really start turning and looking.

DH and I always put DS to bed in different positions (and he would move around the crib so much it changed anyway).

We did a lot of "tummy time" which at first, like the PP said, was just DS lying on my chest. It took a little while before he actually liked being put tummy down on a play mat, but on me was all good and it was definitely tummy time since he wasn't on his back. Between tummy time and any time spent upright holding him or in a sling...he got a fair amount of time not on his back--he still has a bald spot on the back of his head (!), but his head seems pretty round.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

kahplayground
11-29-2005, 02:05 PM
The medical term for flattness of the head is called plagiocephaly and the medical term for when you can't turn your head one way is called torticollis.

Calla
11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Another recommendation besides those above is to avoid overuse of the carseat.

Also keep in mind that flat head is not a common condition, so do what you can, but don't worry too much!!!