PDA

View Full Version : How did you decorate after lowering the crib?

martycw
11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
We just lowered the crib mattress and the bedding I loved so much looks sad! The skirt is wrinkly because the crib has a drawer beneath it and the rest of the crib looks naked with the bumper on so low. I can't imagine how it will look with no bumper... I've actually thought about putting a second bumper on top of the first one to perk it up. :)

Anyone else feel like this?

Momof3Labs
11-16-2005, 08:44 AM
You'll get used to it, honestly. I wouldn't do two bumpers as that will affect circulation to the baby. And the skirt should sit fine (not wrinkly) even with a drawer - ours did.

amp
11-16-2005, 10:13 AM
You do get used to it, just like Lori said.

The first time around we didn't even use a bumper, and it still looked weird when the crib dropped down lower! And we ended up removing the skirt entirely when the drawer and the crib height started messing it up.

martycw
11-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Before anyone thinks I'm a terrible mother... I was only kidding about adding a second bumper. I know babies climb on them and the concerns about circulation etc. I would consider taking the bumper off entirely (safety) if it weren't for the fact that I know my son would bang his head on the rails, because he scoots up so close to the sides of the crib!

The crib just looks so lonely and on my crib, the skirt really doesn't fit right now. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I loved his bedding before this! :(

nfowife
11-17-2005, 01:59 PM
I just lowered DD's mattress 2 weeks ago and she also has a drawer underneath the crib. Now that the mattress is lowered, you can't even see the skirt on the sides (and my skirt is 4 seperate panels). So, I just folded under the side and back panels and hiked up the front so it is even and not too long . I safety pinned it to the metal mattress platform underneath so it won't move around when I take out the mattress to change the sheet. I have very tall bumpers and I keep the dropside lowered (I'm short and it's easier to get DD in and out of the crib- she is not sitting up or standing up in the crib yet) so the bumper doesn't look too low yet. But it is a different look, you'll get used to it!

Momof3Labs
11-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I think that's one of the many secrets that no one tells expectant moms - that you get so little use out of most of the pieces in those gorgeous but expensive crib sets! Another is that the cute little 6 month stuffed belly in the Motherhood dressing rooms is just a farce - when will they start giving you the butt, thighs and boobs to go with it??

martycw
11-17-2005, 06:48 PM
LOL!!!!

alkagift
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Yep, I had that issue too, since 90% of the pattern of mine was gone without the bumper and dust ruffle. I couldnt' use the dust ruffle at all, something about the way the legs of the thing worked. In any case, I did go out and get fun patterned sheets to liven things up. I considered cutting up the bumper to use as a valance, but I decided I might have another child someday!

Allison
Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/