PDA

View Full Version : Kidline Malawi or Cocalo Alphabet Soup

Chaunacey
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
My husband and I are stuck between the Kidsline Malawi or the Cocalo Alphabet Soup bedding patterns.
(http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/kli/kli4200beds-big.jpg) (http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/coc/coc711033-big.jpg)

Our baby is due May 21st and will be a surprise...

We have already purchased every stuffed animal Pier One offered around Xmas time... they are all bright colors with paisley and plaid patterns.

I'm worried the pastels in the Malawi pattern are too prissy for a boy. Any advice? Thinks

kusiakje
02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't think that the Malawi patterns are "too prissy" for a boy. Pastel doesn't necessarily mean girly. But, to be honest, I've never thought the Malawi colors were pastel. They're colors that could be pastel, but I think they're a bit too dark for the pastel realm.

Either way, I think Malawi is gender neutral. My cousin got this bedding for her nursery and she didn't know her baby's gender either.

What does your husband think of the Malawi? Does he think it's too girly for a boy? Daddies are always the ones most sensitive to whether their sons will be considered girly. If your husband agrees with your "prissy" assessment, then your dilemma's solved. It seems like you'd both be on the same page that the Alphabet Soup is the best choice in case you're having a boy.

Otherwise, I think the quality for both sets is about the same. It looks like they both have lots of accessories, but you might still be able to use that as a tiebreaker if there is a particular accessory for one of the sets that you'd really like. I'm not sure what all is out there for the Alphabet Soup, but I know Malawi accessories have kind of taken over the baby world. I've seen a Malawi highchair, toy chest, and I think I even saw a diaper bag somewhere. So if you're really big into coordination, that might be a better set for you.

Ultimately, you just have to trust your gut though. Try picturing your finished nursery and see which one works best with all of your other decorating ideas. Or picture your baby with the bedding...which one would you like to see with pictures and such. Putting the bedding sets in a context like that is how I decided on ours. Maybe that'll work for you too.

HTH,
Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

galvjen
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
We didn't know the gender of our child ahead of time and purchased the Malawi set, plus a small throw rug. We like it! Turns out we had a boy. We have neverr thought the bedding was too girlie.
Jennifer

Chaunacey
02-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your responses ladies--- after months of being dead set on Malawi, we have changed our mind. Alphabet Soup it is.

amp
02-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I think both are fine for boy or girl. And both are super cute!

Have you seen and felt either of them in person? I have no experience w/ the Cocalo brand, but I have felt some of the Kidsline bedding and a lot of it is not great quality/softness. If you buy nice sheets, you may not care a lot about things like decor or bumpers, or even the quilt since it shouldn't be in the crib. But I thought I'd mention it.

Ceepa
02-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I like both, but wanted to say our DS has the MAlawi and it is really cute in his room. It's not too girlie at all and he loves talking to the animals on his bumper.

We only registered for the crib set and filled out the rest of the room with sage and cream colors. Neutral and sweet.