PDA

View Full Version : At what age is bedding (pillow/blanket) safe?

quinnsmom
04-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi All,

We are talking about purchasing a toddler bed for DS in preperation for when the new baby arrives and needs the crib. Right now DS is 20 months - I am wondering - does anyone know at what age its safe to give a toddler a full out bedding set? All the little toddler beds online have a pillow with a top sheet and blanket/comforter pictured.

We give DS a blanket at night - loosely over top of him. I just can't imagine him using a pillow, sheet, and blanket safely. He is such a squirmer and will end up at the opposite side of the crib come morning.

We have never used bumper pads in his crib - I have always had a fear of suffocation. I have never put anything in his crib (besides his lovey that he holds while he sleeps) and just a few months ago started using a blanket over the sleepsacks.

Should I just give him the same blanket to use and forget the sheet and pillow once he transitions to the toddler bed?

What has been your experience?

Thanks! :)

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
DD has been using a pillow (it's not very fluffy - one of the extra pillows from our bed, actually) since her first birthday and a blanket (we used one as a newborn as she was a winter baby but only draped over her sleep positioner) since she was about 8 mos. old. The pillow really really helped her sleep through the night more consistently and nap longer. She hated her crib before we put the pillow in there and would never soothe herself to sleep. So the pillow, for us, has been wonderful.

We're not quite as worried about suffcation as you - we're crib bumper people. But I would think that 20 mos should be fine. I think it's highly unlikely that an older baby could suffocate in a pillow.

:) Lauren

megs4413
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
DD has been using a pillow for about a month now. It seems to have solved her sleep problems (at least a few of them). I think it's more comfortable now. It's just an extra pillow from our bed. She's only 1yo, but we dont have any problems with it. She's old enough to do what she wants as far as moving around and if she were to have a problem, she's strong enough to sit up or roll around to get to a place where she's free to breathe. I would think that 20 months is definitely old enough as long as DS is on target with his motor skills.