PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking for the impossible?

Elilly
07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
DH wants to redo Graham's room for his 2nd b-day as he doesn't "need" anything. I'm looking for a full sized bed that can accomodate a twin trundle underneath. Does this defy physics? I cannot find this combo anywhere!

Momof3Labs
07-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Can't you buy the two pieces separately? I know that I saw a number of twin trundles sold separately; you could compare the measurements to confirm that it would fit under a full size bed.

Elilly
07-31-2006, 03:47 PM
I thought of that too but is there something special about a trundle? Is it taller? If you have a trundle bed, does the main mattress (on top) have a boxspring?

HallsofVA
08-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Most of the trundle bed combinations I've seen the main bed doesn't have a box spring. I saw something almost like what you're looking for - but not quite. At the beach this year, our beach house had a duo-bunk, which has a full bed on the bottom, and a twin bed on top. They had a twin trundle bed under the full bed on the bottom (so the room could have slept 4 kids if needed). Seems like you need to find a raised platform full bed, and then a twin trundle on wheels to go underneath.

momof2inOhio
08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
You're not asking the impossible, you just need someone knowledgable about youth furniture to walk you through your options. You should definitely go to a "baby and kids" specialty store rather than a regular furniture store.

A good brand that can supply just what you want is My Room Furniture. Their website, www.myroomfurniture.net, shows all their different collections. The Cottage Collection looks very similar to what's in the PBK catalog and will cost you a lot less! I had one of their Paintbox beds in my sons room for about 4 years and now regret selling it because it was such nice quality.

You can purchase a full size bed that uses a slat-roll foundation and no box spring. It's great for little ones just starting in a big bed because they are not so high off the ground. You can add a low profile box spring as your son gets bigger. The trundle then fits under the bed. Be careful when you buy the trundle mattress. Sometimes you need to get one that is slightly smaller to fit the trundle. Even if you are able to use a standard twin size mattress, don't get anything with pillowtops or extra plush. You'll be limited on space underneath and those types won't fit.

I hope that info helps!

jse107
08-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, if you want a good quality set that gives a lot of options check out: www.oakdesigns.com. They also work in birch, which is what we just ordered.

We're also doing DS's room for his birthday and just ordered his "big boy" furniture from Great Beginnings. This was the comapny that they most highly recommend for children's furniture. We ordered a twin with trundle, but because you order the pieces separately, there's no reason you couldn't ordered a full size bed and a twin trundle. The construction is fantastic--much nicer than Pottery Barn, which we almost bought. We decided to make it an investment that Owen will like as a teenager, so we don't have to buy another bedroom set when he's older.

The beds can use either a box spring or bunkie board underneath the mattress without interfering with the trundle.

HTH! I know the furniture search for us was exhausting!

tiapam
08-10-2006, 09:18 PM
This full and trundle work together:

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/coll.do?coll=RB3089&dept=RB309

-Pam

DD - One year old!

Elilly
08-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Ladies,
Thanks so much for the input. We just returned from vacation and I'm so happy to see the suggestions. Off to do some more internet shopping!

val01
09-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I saw this type of setup at USA Baby. If you have one locally, I would give them a call.

Valerie