PDA

View Full Version : ok girls - show me your creative kids rooms!!!!

KarenNYC
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
We are moving and I LOVE the rooms I did for Avery and Ryan here (well, Avery's room was Ryan's nursery as well and then I did a big boy room for him). I have 101 ideas for Avery's new room as I just can't redo the nursery - it will never be the same but I can not for the life of me come up with something for Ryan's room! He has dark blue furniture and I was thinking of doing wainscotting but who knows....

HELP!!!!

here are the pics of the kids rooms now:

jennifer_r
09-26-2006, 07:04 AM
First, both rooms are great! So creative and beautiful. I love seeing pics of other nurseries. I like the idea of wainscoting for your DS's room - maybe doing a glaze or "crackle" - I heard crackle is easy to do and it's something I want to do on our wainscoting in our back hall off.

Their used to be a pinned post (for months it seemed) in nursery necessities with tons of pics of nurseries. I tried to search for it but can't seem to find it now (will post back if I find it). Maybe someone else here can post the link.

Here's one post I found that had great boy nurseries:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=9228&mesg_id=9228&listing_type=search

I would try doing some searches in nursery necessities or even maybe post there asking for pics; you might get more responses.

In our old house, DD1 had the most gorgeous nursery and we moved when she was about 10.5 months old. I loved it so much that I decided to keep everything the same, down to the same faux painting. Well, we still have not hung up the curtains or the quilt (my husband lost the screws and I have to "paint" new ones to match the rods) nor any paintings so it still looks bare. My other DD who was born shortly after we moved into this house is not faring much better. The potential for those rooms are great - the furniture is great, we did gorgeous bedding for both rooms, beautiful faux painting for both rooms as well. But, it's all in the details and it never seems like a priority. Hopefully, this post will inspire me to get my butt in gear and finish everything off. If I do anytime soon, I'll send pics.

BTW, another reason we decided to redo DD1's room all over again is that it is very "timeless and feminine", no themes, just lots of flowers, embroidery, lace, toile, etc.. It's not at all babyish or young looking and in our old house. Infact, we had decided that when she wanted to change her room, we would make her room the guest room since the faux job would be perfect for a "feminine" guest room. We ended up doing DD2's along a similar vein, just a different color scheme (DD1's was green with pink accents, DD2's is pink with green accents - so they complement each other; the bathroom they "share" or will share is painted pink, green and yellow randomly placed and sized stripes - very adorable and fun).

Hope this post helps at all.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

newnana
09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
It's in Baby Bedding and Decor:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=7&topic_id=4487&mesg_id=4487&page=

It's a pinned post with a ton of nurseries. I never got around to posting our ladybug room, but mostly that's because it's still not really finished and DD is 16 months (oops!). We have the paint, the wallpaper border, all the essentials, but very little on the walls as accessories.

Thanks for sharing pics of yours!
Michelle

KarenNYC
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
thanks girls. I'll search thru those old posts for some ideas. I have a few already for Avery's room as I don't want to redo the nursery and I figured I might as well do a girlie room for her in pink and brown as those are her colors and I hav a ton of ideas. Some faux painting of molding and then doing a wall of "art" using barbie clothes in shadow boxes etc....

For Ryan's room, I am not sure what to do as I did a space theme for him already and have the linens and art but don't want to redo the room as it was expensive and I am not totally in love with it. He is not into cars, trains etc... and I was thinking of trying to do some racing stripes to match his current linens or fabric I find for window treatments.

uhg... so stressful!

katiesmommy
09-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Your kids rooms make me depressed. Don't take that as a bad thing, that's not how I mean it. They are fabulous, totally adorable, I love them both. We live in military housing, and we aren't allowed to paint. I wish I could paint DD's room. I absolutly hate having white walls all through the house.

jesseandgrace
09-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Sarah,

Thay have wall decals that come on and off like stickers, but without the hassle of coming off. I think it is called wall candy art, something like that. You could definitely use it to make a room with white walls look amazing!

katiesmommy
09-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Wow, thanks, I'll have to look that up! I'm just always so depressed by our white walls.

KarenNYC
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
yes - www.wallcandy.com has soem cute things but you can also look up self sticking decals online and find some great stuff - even full wall murals that are removable!

Tondi G
09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
This is the site

http://www.wallcandyarts.com/prod.htm

shilo
09-26-2006, 05:45 PM
ok, well dark blue furniture makes me think water... (but i'm a fish lover so i see 'under the sea' in everything - lol :)).

DS's nursery is a take on under the sea with some big wall mural paintings i did. even if you don't like the under the sea theme, if you can find a print you like, it's really easy to incorporate it into your walls. i just took pictures of the 'characters' on the bedding with the digital camera and then used a projector to get them blown up so that i could trace them out on the wall. a few tubes of fume free acrylics later and voila - your walls are done.

for the pp re: wall 'stickers' try googling for 'wallies'
http://www.walldecorshops.com/groupwallies.html

here are some pics: we uses a moulding/chair rail with a scalloped edge for 'waves' between the blue and the yellow on the walls. i guess i should go back and post in the pinned nursery thread... i found it very helpful 2 years ago when i was looking, thanks for the reminder.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

sdoyle
09-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Wow, you're talented!! I love the ocean theme. Not even a projector could help me do that. Very cute room!

brownlesa
09-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Wow! That is the cutest room ever! I wish I slept in there!

Leslie

scout123
09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
I was so excited to find thsi thread b/c we are building I am picking out colors for DD room. I LOVE the dots on the website you listed! If you have used them, how many sets do you rec. I buy to do a 9X17 wall?
TIA
Scout

KarenNYC
09-27-2006, 07:13 PM
there is also a product out there called tatouage that - while not removeable - is great. It looks like you had a decorative painter for a fraction of the cost.

starrynight
09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
The Dollar Tree has some and I've seen them at target in character stuff for little kids rooms if you are looking for that sort of thing. The dollar tree ones are various things, some for bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms.

calebsmama03
10-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I was browsing for some decor ideas and none of the attachments are working :(
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss P 5/05