PDA

View Full Version : Roman shades in boys rooms

KBecks
11-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm considering a roman shade for the window in my toddler's room, but not sure if I'll like it IRL. Anyone want to share photos of roman shades or tell me about their experiences with them?

My windows are not as pretty as those in the PBK catalog. I'm concerned that the shade will block a lot of the window when it is "up", and I also wonder about placement of hanging the shade. Perhaps I need to hang it higher and/or order it in a wider size than my window trim? Our windows are basic 60's 70's plain style - no gorgeous trim.

etaylor75
11-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Good day. I do window coverings for a living and would agree that you should order the shade to cover the window trim. It will allow for better light blockage on the sides.

Roman shades do have a pretty long stack, so I would definitely hang it higher than the window which looks really good when up, kind of like a valance. I've hung them right at the ceiling before and if you have lower ceilings, it really makes the ceilings look higher.

Good luck!
Erin

tarahsolazy
12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
We have one in Forrest's room. There is just one big window, about five feet high and also pretty wide.

My DH made the shade, so its got blackout fabric on one side and a solar system print on the front. It adds to the decor when down. Its hung so that the upper 1/4th of the window is obscured when its raised, but with the big window, it looks nice. It is exactly as wide as the window, trim included, so it overlaps the trim (white fake wood) entirely, which I also think looks fine.