PDA

View Full Version : Bumpers are for....

robinsonbn
01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Ok so I am confused. We are supossed to remove bumpers once DC starts rolling. But if DC doesn't roll then what is the purpose of the bumper in the first place? What can I do to prevent bumps and bruises from DC rolling into the sides of the crib if there is no bumper? I'm just really confused.

amp
01-13-2007, 08:59 AM
We never *needed* bumpers, and in fact many experts don't recommend them at all due to sids risks. Yes, they were probably intended to keep kids from bumping heads and getting limbs stuck, and without them, some probably do get stuck or bumped. In our case, our DS never had one and we never missed it. Then, when we had a girl and I went girly in the nursery, we did have one and only removed it when it became something she could step on as a ladder of sorts. Neither of my kids have made any habit of rolling into the sides or getting caught in the slats. You may find that it's a concern for you, but you may not. And, although they recommend removing it when he starts rolling, you have to make your own "best judgement" decision. In my mind, once my kids were rolling around easily, they were also lifting their heads and wailing on a regular basis, so I wasn't as concerned about them getting wedged in against the bumper and not being able to move. So, the long short answer is, use your judgement and know that the bumper isn't really necessary.

o_mom
01-13-2007, 09:09 AM
"Bumpers are for..." ...bedding companies to make money!

We never used bumpers, but just the Crib Shield. It covers the sides of the crib in mesh so they don't get arms and legs stuck. My kids have never had bruises from rolling into the sides of the crib. They just don't roll that fast. :-) They will get much more spectacular bruises later from walking and crawling.

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2007, 03:58 PM
ITA with the sentiment that they are there for the bedding companies to make money. :)

We never used bumpers or anything else. Ds' crib was a crib and a fitted sheet.

Sure, there were times he bumped into the slats but it was hardly a big deal at all. Never got stuck either.

I would rather him get bruised than burrow into the bumpers and suffocate. (He loved to sleep with his head pushed into the corner of the crib...I would have been a wreck if we had bumpers.)

Beth

let73
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
My understanding is that the original use for bumper pads was to prevent babies heads from getting stuck between the crib slats. (Hard to believe that they made cribs like that!)
Now, cribs are designed where the babies head should not be able to fit in between the slats. So, crib bumpers now are pretty much used for decoration and bedding companies to make money like PP's mentioned.
We have been bumper free... no bruises yet! It is such a hassle changing crib sheets, so I'm glad I don't have to mess with a bumper too!

MartiesMom2B
01-20-2007, 09:05 AM
You are so right about the bruises thing. I remember looking at DD when she was an infant thinking that she was so perfect and how she never had a bruise or a cut. Then she started walking and she was covered in bruises on her knees.

To the OP - bumpers are just for decoration.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)