PDA

View Full Version : Crib bumpers? Are they used?

jyllebean
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
We are currently using a pack n play with our 3 mo old and won't be buying a real crib until we move when dd will be 6 mos. Is it worth it to buy a crib bumper? I have heard conflicting advice & information on if they are safe or not. Just wondering what most people do these days. Is it just for looks?

Thanks!
-Jill

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I didn't see a reason to use them. Back when ds was a baby they didn't have the mesh ones. I may consider them for this baby but at the end of the day I'll probably skip them. Ds did fine without a bumper and he was a very active sleeper. Plus, I have heard they make changing the crib sheet kind of a pain. Anything to make that job easier. :)

I wrote up a reply on the safety controversy on bumpers. The real thread is back a page from here and this is the link:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=7&topic_id=8806&mesg_id=8806&page=2

Beth

mommabear
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I would either skip it or get a breathable mesh bumper. Once a baby is pulling up you have to stop using them anyway.

sophiesmom
05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I just bought a breathable bumper in sage at BRU and really like it. DD is 14 mos and i had to take out her bumper since she is standing. I was always worried when she was crying in her crib that her arm or leg was stuck. The mesh bumper is great... I wish I had it way before, as she tends to move around and always ended up near the other bumper, would make me nervous.

HTH!

tarynsmum
05-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I say skip it - itr's mostly for looks, and at 6 months you'd only get a couple months use out of it before she starts trying to stand on it.