PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Diapers - Just How Many ???

nywifey
06-28-2001, 11:32 AM
I have a really stupid question: Just how many newborn size diapers will you go threw? My DH has this idea to stock up as we see them on sale. But in all honesty, how fast do they go from newborn to the next size up? I've heard to have at least 100 a week for the first month - is this true??

mom@home
06-28-2001, 03:21 PM
If I were you, I would buy just 100 of the newborn to start off with. How many you will end up needing total depends on the size of your baby. My baby was just under 6 lbs at birth and wore newborns for the first month. A friend of mine had a 7 1/2 lb baby and only used them for the first week. Stage 1 diapers start at 8lbs and are cheaper to buy than the newborns. Also, Pampers diapers seem to be sized more generously than Huggies so if you have a big baby, Pampers may be a better bet for the money. On the other hand, if your baby is tiny, Huggies will probably fit better. Good luck!

cabote
07-09-2001, 11:28 PM
I had my baby on May 14, 2001. I could not find "newborn" diapers or premie diapers. She was 6lb 14oz. I started using "Dry Bottoms" the Walmart brand in a Stage 1. They were a little big at first but not for long. These diapers have worked very well and are cheap ($7.00 for 68 diapers). She needs a Stage 1 pack per week; approximately. She is now 8 weeks old and about 70 diapers per week continues to be the norm. You don't really need to stock up. I had NO diapers except the little ones we brought home from the hospital. My huspand went out the first day home and got a name brand diaper that was too expensive. We tried Dry Bottoms and that was that!

mef
07-11-2001, 05:24 AM
Our daughter was 8 lbs, 2 oz. at birth, and we had (between purchases and gifts) about 80 newborn diapers. I would say that by the time we got to 65 or 70, they were getting tight on her. She is now in size 1's at 3 weeks, and fitting well into them (though there is plenty of room for her to grow into them.)

marilyn
07-20-2001, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't stock up an ony newborn diapers at all. Maybe get 1 little package. UNtil your baby is here you dont really know how much she/he will weight. My daughter was supposed to weight 6 pounds but weighed 8 and I never used newborn diapers, went right for size 1 and they worked great!

Good luck!

Marilyn

sarsah
08-22-2001, 09:45 PM
I would buy 1 or 2 packages, but be sure to keep the receipts. My son was 8 lbs, 3 oz. at birth and we didn't make it through a whole package of newborn diapers -- they were too small.

Even the hospital used size 1, not newborn.

If you want to stockpile diapers, go with size 3 & 4. Those are the sizes you will use the most of. My son is 15 months old and has been in size 4 since he was about 10 months old. He's at 50% for weight, so he's not really big either.

Sarah...

tabbiredd
09-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Hi, My son was 7lb 12oz, and 20 1/2 inches long. Pretty average size baby. We had 4 pkg's of Pampers Newborns and used them all. I liked them because they have the notch cut-out for their little cord stump, so it can breathe. I put him into size 1 diapers when all the newborns were used up, and it was a perfect transition. I think that diapers that are too big leak and you make more work for yourself cleaning sheets and sleeping clothes. Buy at least 3 pkgs of newborn size diapers. You can always exchange them at the store if you need to.

ecarley
09-10-2001, 07:39 PM
It all depends on the size of your baby. Unfortunately, you can't predict it at all (mine was a 9-11 whopper), so if you're going to stock up, do it on size 1's. If your baby is in the 6-7 lb range, send a friend out to get you one package.

lisaE
11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
I am so glad you asked this- it's not a stupid question at all. We are expecting our first baby in January and we already have a ton of diapers that we received as gifts, plus my mom keeps buying them. I have been curious about this myself. We have kept receipts knowing that we could return/ exchange for a bigger size. Good question!

Lisa

celfsh
11-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Also, one brand may work better for you than another, so I think it's wise to hold off stocking up until you know which brand you (and your baby!) prefer.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

Melanie
11-12-2003, 06:35 PM
but I agree...buy a smaller pack of a couple of brands...you can always donate what you don't use. We tried Pampers, Luvs, Huggies, White Cloud(Wal-mart) & Loving Touch(Target) in that first week or two! The only ones that fit were Walmart & Target and the wal-mart made Ds turn bright red. All the leftovers were taken to a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they are very grateful, they don't care if they have been opened.

Next time, I'm hoping to use some cozy Kissaluvs instead.

Marisa6826
11-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Just to confuse the situation a little more... ;)

Sophie was 6 lbs. 1 oz. and was in NB Pampers Swaddlers for THREE months! Even at 11 months old now, she's still in size 3 Cruisers.

-m

peasprout
11-13-2003, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't buy too many. The hospital will usually send you home with a bunch. Just keep asking the different nurses and they'll give you more! Like everyone says, it depends on your baby's size. DD was full term and 5lbs, 8oz. She was swimming in the newborn diapers for months before fitting them. She's one now and just fitting into stage 3s.

vpalmer
11-13-2003, 08:41 AM
I would recommend at least 100 newborn diapers or so. My DD was 9 pounds at birth and we used newborn diapers for three weeks. I agree with previous posters that if you want to stock up on diapers buy lots of size 1 diapers. I believe we had about 400 and still bought more.

Have fun!

Veroncia
Mom to Eva 6-12-03

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 11:41 AM
LOL - Colin was 8lbs 4oz and wore exactly ONE newborn diaper! We went straight to size 1's!

KUvsOU
11-13-2003, 12:21 PM
My son was only 5 lbs 3 ozs when he was born so he wore the newborn diapers for several months. I had already purchased a box of size 1 Huggies Diapers from Sams Club for him; however, Huggies diapers have never fit him right and we had problems with them leaking. In the end, I had to give the rest of the box away and buy a box of Pampers instead. As others have said, you never know which diaper will fit your child the best so it is great that you have kept your receipts.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

stillplayswithbarbies
11-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Logan was 8 lb 6 oz. We used the pack of Pampers Newborn that the hospital gave us, and one more pack and then she was in size 1. I think we used one pack of those and went to size 2. We've been in size 3 ever since.

I'd say instead of buying diapers, buy yourself some gift cards to Toys R Us/ Babies R Us. Then you can use it to buy diapers of the right size and brand later.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

starrynight
11-15-2003, 12:55 PM
I agree with eneryone that said you don't know what brand will work for your baby until they are here.

Alex never wore newborns, he didn't even stay in 1's very long. Pampers worked best with him, huggies leaked. Daria couldn't use dri-bottoms or any other store brand they all gave her horrible rashes and she wouldn't get rashes otherwise, so we stuck with pampers/luvs for her. Eliza was the only one to fit in newborn diapers, we used 3 packs, 2 of the bru/tru brand and one of the huggies newborns. Those worked good but the huggies size1 didn't they are not cut as genorously in the legs as pampers so now we are using pampers/luvs and those work fine. She is 7 weeks old and already in size 2! You can tell when they need the next size up when what was working is suddenly leaking when it wasn't before.