PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your playpen for?

vkmom
07-10-2001, 03:03 PM
Can't decide if I need a playpen for the living room. Do you use a playpen? What for? Thanks for your help.

Geebee
07-10-2001, 11:24 PM
YES! It is great! The key is to start early with a little time in the playpen each day.

I originally started using it when my daughter was very young (2 months or so) so I didn't have to worry about the dog running over her. I could lay her down under one of those baby gyms (stuff hanging over head) and not worry about her. And then I could go do the dishes or something fun (haha). I even had a "routine" where I put her in her playpen every morning after the first feeding while I ate, did dishes, laundry, etc.

I continued to use it for a little time each day (1 hour max). It was great when she started moving around. Since I started early, she was used to spending some time in it. Most of my friends tried to use it once their babies started crawling, but by then, the babies aren't used to it and don't want to be confined.

I think that it is just a great way to keep baby safe while you are getting something done. I have even dragged it outside, and she played while I washed the car. I could put her in the playpen while I carried in groceries from the car and not worry about her crawling outside or underfoot. I dragged it into rooms where I didn't want her into things, but I could have her nearby (like in the bathroom while I showered or in the office while I worked on the computer). There are so many uses. And she seemed to like when she had a different view (like the outside) and was content for a while.

I had one with wheels on one end, so I could just pick up the non-wheeled end and drag it around.

In the last few months of use, I used it to hold toys in the living room and block the fireplace. I was sad to see it go (haha)...

I hope that helps!

triangle
07-21-2001, 11:57 PM
I agree with the previous message for all the same reasons. I just got one and love it. It's a safe place to put my child and she seems to be fine with it. She's 5 months old and starting to roll so I know she is confined and safe if I have to leave the room for something (doorbell, bathroom..) I have a pack n play but I want to get a larger sized playpen - which are hard to find!

rebwal
07-24-2001, 08:21 AM
I'll be honest, we put our playpen together when my daughter was about 3 months old and have put her in it twice. Since then we have been using it as a giant (and expensive) toy box.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 09:41 PM
I have a Graco 3-way Pack & Play and used it quite a bit for the first few months of my son's life. The 3-way comes with a changing table which I have used every day for the past 15 months -- it's great as we have a 2 story house and the nursery is upstairs and the Pack & Play is in our family room.

The playpen was great when my son was little -- I could put him in there and run out to get the mail, answer the door, get a load of laundry, etc. However, the only way he was happy playing in it is if it was FULL of toys, so there was almost no room for him. I think he outgrew it quickly too -- by the time he was 6 months old, he refused to play in it -- it was just too small. We ended up buying a Super Yard, which worked very well for us until he was a year old and could walk. Now we use gates to keep him in one room.

We do use it as a crib when we travel, but other than using the changing table, it's become a giant toy box.

Sarah.....

brazilmom
11-26-2001, 10:07 PM
We got a Graco 3 way pack and play as a shower gift. My baby is 2 weeks old and she has spent 90% of her life in there. It has a bassinet that we have used so that she can sleep in our room (makes the 3 am feeding a little easier on mom). It also came with the changing table that lets me change her in the middle of the night without putting her on our bed or having to walk to her room.
So far the play pen has been very useful. I can put her in there while I do some landry or shower and I know that she is safe, she can't fall or roll off.
I recommend one to any parent.

vsmommy123
12-11-2001, 09:45 PM
The playpen has a few very useful uses - First, get one w/ a large (entire area) bassinet inset so the baby can sleep in it as a bassinet until they are about 15 lbs. The other insets that are only 1/2 the width of the playpen are not big enough and the baby will outgrow this in a few weeks!
I won't repeat what everybody else already wrote but the playpen is also good for taking on trips instead of using the hotel cribs which are iffy on the cleanliness factor. You can buy a ready made sheet for the bottom and then use that as a template to make your own out of sheets that you might not use anymore, or whatever. I did, and it worked out great.
I wound up w/ two of these things and currently use them both. I use one in the office so I can use the computer w/o worrying about my 11 mo. old getting into everything and the other in the living room. Of course soon she will be done w/ these but we will still use it to take on vacations w/ us.
Hope this helps!