PDA

View Full Version : question about full-length zippers

elizabethaw
08-09-2001, 02:51 PM
I've noticed that some brands of sleepers have a full-length zipper from the neck to one foot. I haven't changed a diaper for a very long time, but it seems like it might be harder to deal with a zipper that only goes down one leg than snaps that go up and down both legs.

Are they a pain? Or are they no problem? Some brands I've seen highly recommended have them.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Geebee
08-10-2001, 01:43 PM
The only way that I found the zipper sleepers to be a pain is the way that you have to shove the baby's little feet and leg into the sleeper leg without the zipper. The actual zipping part is much easier than the snaps. The snaps that go most of the length of each leg are easier. And when babies are young, there aren't too many snaps.

I didn't try the zipper sleepers until my child was about 12 months. At her size and with longer legs, it is kind of a pain to shove her feet and legs into the sleeper. But then, at her age, snaps are a pain also because there are so many of them (I'm not looking forward to winter).

And another thing (uh-oh, here I go): I didn't by the Gap snug fitting sleepers because of the price. I always bought Carter's at first, even though I thought that the Gap sleepers are cuter. Well, I found some Gap snug fitting sleepers at a Gap outlet, so I bought some. As it turns out, I don't like Gap sleepers at all. The snug fitting arm and leg bands are a pain, and the footless sleepers with snaps are a pain. Ugh.

If you have a newborn (or haven't had your baby yet), you might want to look at those gowns with elastic. They are very easy, especially at night when you are half asleep.

Probably more info than you wanted. I hope that helps.

elizabethaw
08-11-2001, 11:56 AM
Thanks! Not at all more than I needed to know! I'm due in January, so I'm just trying to imagine how all of these things will work. I'm happy for any and all advice I can get.

Thanks!

JanaM
08-13-2001, 12:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-01 AT 11:37AM (Mountain)[p]Hi Elizabeth,
Another option is a baby sleeping bag. I used them with DS and loved them. The problem I have with blanket sleepers is that not only do they zip down only one foot, but that they zip DOWN instead of UP. By this I mean, if I have to change a diaper in the middle of the night I have to unzip the entire length of the sleeper thereby allowing cold night air in. Most baby sleeping bags have the zipper attaching at the top and close by pulling down (does that make sense? kinda like closing a coat upside down). A late night change only requires the legs to be exposed. But make sure you check the zipper before you buy as I have seen a few with the zipper close at the top. Also it is not as easy for a toddler to unzip themselves because the zip pull is at their feet not neck. Another benefit is that it does slow down mobility a bit. When DS was just over 5mo I walked into the bedroom to find he had piled up everything in his crib and was standing on said pile, wearing a very cheesey grin, trying to get HIGHER. I was frightened as I didn't realize that 5mo olds could even stand much less engineer an escape pile. The sleeping bag kept him from being able to get a leg-up on anything. Here are a couple of websites that have them. I have also seen them in a few department stores.

http://www.littlebigfoot.com/
http://www.cosibag.com/

HTH,
Jana :)

sarsah
08-22-2001, 09:30 PM
My son wore the Lands End polar fleece sleepers exclusively his first winter (he was born in May, so he was around 5 months old the first time he wore them). In the spring, we switched back to Carter's terry cloth sleepers. Let me tell you, for a squirming infant (my son is very active), the zippers were much easier to deal with.

Sarah....

Shuezs
11-13-2001, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the great web sites!!! I've been looking for baby sleep sacks forever and was having no luck. I've just placed an order and can't wait for it to arrive! Now, finally, I'll be able to sleep knowing the blankets are on him and not over his head or on the floor or any place else...
Thanks!!!