PDA

View Full Version : Coat or Bunting?

emmiem
09-24-2001, 07:51 AM
I have a 7 month old and I'm confused about what to buy for a winter coat. I see regular coats and then I see baby buntings. Do you need both? Does the bunting fit over regular clothes including denim? It doesn't get very cold where I live but we do need some sort of winter coverings.

Geebee
09-24-2001, 03:18 PM
It depends on where you live and what you do. I live in the Dallas area in a suburb and walk in the neighborhood once or twice a week. For my daughter's first full winter, I bought her a coat, but she only wore it a handful of times. It worked best for walks in the neighborhood, but it was relly a waste of money.

Out and about, I was told by a police officer to not put babies in coats in carseats. Use blankets on top of the baby instead. Coats affect the amount of give that the car seat belts have and can allow a baby to slip out in an accident. I'd pull my daughter out of the car wrapped in blankets or put her under my coat just to run into stores. (The part that she didn't like was the wind in her face!)

So, unless you live someplace really cold or you are outside with your child often (walks, plays outside at parks, etc.), I'd skip the jacket and the bunting.

Oh, and I just realized that my daughter was about 7 months a this time last year.

Enjoy!

ma2be
12-10-2001, 07:53 PM
I have seen this Bunting at Babystyle.com that's wonderful. It's called the Original Bundle Me by JJ Cole ($40.00). (When you go to the site, click on Gear, then new idems)I've noticed a lot of Mom's here in NYC are using it. This bunting/blanket/boot has openings inside for the straps of the carseat or stroller. Just place the baby in it, lock the straps, and zip them in. I think it's a wonderful alternative to a snow suit. Plus, i've been reading that it's much safer to use something like this than a snow suit since the car seat straps can not adjust as well around a snow suit. I would use this and maybe put a fleece jacket on them as well. Hope this helps.