PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for a chubby baby w/ long torso

teresajill
10-10-2001, 12:21 PM
My little angel is just over 5 months old. She's wearing 12m clothing and seems to be getting near the end of fitting into them (hard to snap the bottom - and yes I have extenders). Her torso is really long and a bit chubby, but her arms and legs are short. She weighs 21 lbs and is about 27 inches long. I can't figure out what she's going to wear in the next few months. Does anyone have experience with this?

She mainly wears Baby Gap and Gymboree stuff, but also some Target stuff.

Help! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Geebee
10-10-2001, 03:31 PM
Try sticking with two piece outfits (shirts and pants) or dresses. It might be difficult to find these in the lower sizes (many of the 12 m outfits seem to include body suits), but you will probably get longer wear. You might be able to stick with the 12 month size with two piece outfits (and not go to the longer 18 m sizes).

For about the same prices as Gymboree, Lands End and LL Bean both have some cute separates (although I found some difficulty matching the pieces) in shirts and pants or dresses. It seems like Gymboree's lower sizes include bodysuits, not shirts, if I remember correctly (my daughter is in the 18-24 month sizes).

I just find that when my daughter begins outgrowing sizes, she can usually still wear the tops and bottoms but not the one piece outfits (bodysuits, overalls, etc.). For example, now she's mostly in 24 month clothes, but she has some 18 month sized shirts and shorts that still fit.

I hope that helps.

Enjoy!

Geebee
10-12-2001, 11:43 AM
I just shopped at Gymboree yesterday (so many sales!) and confirmed that the smaller sizes have bodysuits, not shirts. In fact, it appears that most of their clothes for sizes 24 months and under involve bodysuits. At my daughter's age (almost 20 months), bodysuits are a pain, so I am looking for shirts and pants outfits.

I know that it is hard because I fell into a baby clothes rut, but try looking other places for two piece outfits (shirt and pants, not bodysuits). The Gap and Gymboree are so easy for me because they are at the mall, their stuff is so cute (especially the girl's stuff), I know what size my daughter wears in their clothes, and they have sales all the time. And with Gymboree, it isn't "Can I find an outfit that I like?", it's "Everything is so cute, so try not to buy more than you need!" Now that I am trying to avoid bodysuits, I can't find anything at Gymboree that I like. I am trying to branch out, and I recently found some cute stuff at Target (great prices), Mervyn's, and Kohl's.

Good luck!