PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers and sleeves

vivianm
12-17-2001, 02:15 AM
As a first time mom-to-be, I am having trouble figuring out what qualifies as a newborn sleeper. I just took a newborn care class in which we were advised that for the first month, all babies should wear sleepers (gowns or footed)that have the foldover sleeves to keep baby's hands warm. I received many newborn and 3-month size items as shower gifts that the manufacturers claim are sleepers, yet they don't have the foldover sleeves. Help! The baby is due in a month (mid-January) and I want to be sure to have the right kinds of items on hand or at least be able to correctly advise those buying things for me.

suzska
12-17-2001, 01:49 PM
Hmmm...I never received that kind of advice. Personally I didn't care much for the gowns. I know some people swear by them, but they didn't work for my son. I had about a half dozen Carter's Sleep-and-Plays (or Stretchies) that were footed, in the 3-6 month size. My son was only 7 lbs 1 oz when he was born (on the small side), so the sleepers were a little big, and one hand would always "get lost" in the sleeve. Not to mention his feet would never stay in the "feet" of the sleepers until he grew into them around 4 months old. Next time around I think I'll by a few in the 0-3 month size just so the poor baby isn't swimming in them for a few months (assuming I have another "small" baby).

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Jeanne
12-18-2001, 03:17 PM
I use the fleece zippered bag sleepers for bedtime. That way I could do a quick diaper change in the dark.

Geebee
12-21-2001, 11:45 PM
I thought that the foldover sleeves were for preventing babies from scratching their faces!

I have a 22 month old, and no one ever told me what they told you. If you are concerned about keeping your baby's hands warm (maybe you live someplace really chilly???), there are little mittens (with the purpose of preventing face scratching) for newborns. Check Babies R Us and maybe Target. You could also used socks. I used newborn socks from Old Navy, and they stayed on my baby's hands better than the mittens (I didn't use them a lot).

BTW, take something for your newborn's hands (mittens or socks) to the hospital. The hospital doesn't usually cut the newborn's nails (something about the skin under the nails - I can't remember), and those nails can be long. Newborns scratch their little faces (and draw blood!) so easily.

I hope that helps!