PDA

View Full Version : Pampers Mega vs. Premium labels

BJMoe
12-28-2001, 10:43 AM
My DH and I finally bought our first diapers last night and were completely stunned in Babies R Us. We're due Feb 5th with our first and thought we'd be there until then deciding what to get. I had a coupon for Pampers or Huggies, and I remember reading in Baby Bargains that parents of girls seemed to prefer Pampers. Since we appear to be having a girl, we just looked at Pampers to make our choice a little easier. I understand the sizes, but what's the difference between their diapers marked "Mega" and those marked "Premium?" They appear to be in all the sizes. I know we'll go through a lot of diapers and will eventually try one of each package, just to see what we like best, but I couldn't figure put those Mega and Premium differences. Anyone know?

suzska
12-29-2001, 01:01 AM
"Mega" usually refers to the number of diapers in the package (or a price range--you get more in a Mega pack of size 1's than you would in a Mega pack of size 2's for the same price. There are things like "Jumbo" and "Super Mega," too. I'm not sure if there's anything smaller than "Jumbo," though.

"Premium" is a slighter "better" diaper than the standard "Baby-Dry's" I believe. Again, you get fewer diapers in a Premium Mega pack (purple package) than you do in a Baby-Dry Mega pack (teal package). It's all in the marketing! Okay, I was just at their site (http://www.pampers.com) and it looks like they may have renamed some things, unless I just never noticed before. The Baby-Dry's are now in Sizes 1-6 (no NB). The Premium's are in Premie, Newborn, and Sizes 1 and 2. The Premium "Custom Fit" are for Sizes 3-5. And I think they got rid of the sticky tape on the Baby-Dry's (mentioned below).

I have used both Huggies and Pampers for my son. Both Pampers Premium and Huggies Supreme, as well as the Baby-Dry and Ultratrim. I will admit to liking the Supreme and Premium diapers a little better, but they all "preformed" about the same. It mainly comes down to the closing device (velcro vs. sticky tape) and the stretchy side tabs--you'll understand once you've used a few of both. Just the way they're designed, the Huggies seemed to run a little "trimmer" vs. the Pampers in the same size. Mainly I just go for what's on sale and what I have a coupon for. But I only use Huggies Wipes--Alcohol and Scent Free. Some of the companies make their wipes different sizes from the other companies, so the refills you have from one won't fit in the tubs you have from another--that's why I just decided to stick with Huggies wipes.

I have tried Target's diapers, and they weren't bad. But if the name brands are on sale, and I have a coupon, they come out about the same--plus I get the points to save on the name brand ones for all those "cool" toy offers (save those points)! I tried the ToysRUs/BabiesRUs ones, and was VERY disappointed in them. They were awful, and I still have a bunch on newborn size ones lying around that I have no use for (unless I did remember to throw them out....).

Probably more than you wanted to know, but once I get started, sometimes it's hard for me to stop rambling. Also my son was on the small side (7 pounds 1 oz at birth), so I had to buy way more Newborn diapers than suggested since it took him a while to move up to the next size--and they only make one size pack of Newborn diapers (that's when I used the Target ones to save a little money). In the meantime I stocked up on Size 1's and Size 2's when they were on sale. Now he's in Size 3 and will probably be there for a while.

I'll stop now,

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Geebee
12-29-2001, 02:02 AM
One note on the package sizes...I found the largest packages of Pampers at Target and Walmart. Actually, I found Pampers Premium's by the box at Sam's the other day, and I had never seem them there before. BRU/TRU seem to only sell smaller packages (less diapers). Needless to say, the cost per diaper is less if you buy a package with more diapers.

I used Pampers Baby Dry for my girl for almost a year. They started to leak, I switched to Pampers Premium in the same size (after some experimentation), and we've been happy ever since (except for the cost). The impression that I have (from experience) is that the Premiums hold more fluid.

I wouldn't buy too many packages of diapers before your baby arrives. Keep receipts (especially for Target and their new policy, but that's another story). Different diapers fit well on different babies. I received Huggies at a baby shower (from a friend who used Huggies with both of her girls), but they leaked on my girl. I've also recently tried Target store-brand. They haven't leaked, but they don't have much elasticity in the waist band and they don't hold as much fluid. They might fit some babies well, but not my "relaxed-fit" 22 month old girl! I would still like to find some good, generic diapers, but I haven't found any that worked for my girl. It is trial and error.

Two other tips:
1. Always use coupons. (Sign up at Huggies and Pampers web sites)
2. Save your "points". Both Pampers and Huggies have points that you can save and receive "free" toys, etc. if you pay shipping. From Pampers, I've received 2 Sesame Street CDs and a Little People Amusement Park, and I'm waiting for my Sesame Street car track thingie. It makes you feel better for spending all of that money!

Enjoy!

BJMoe
12-29-2001, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! Now it makes a bit more sense, but I agree we'll have to try each of them to see what fits best on our baby. Thanks for the tip about signing up on the Huggies and Pampers websites; I didn't even think of that! :-)