PDA

View Full Version : help!! why do Huggies leak on my son?

minamorin
01-30-2002, 07:57 PM
i'm using Huggies Newborn diapers on my son, who is today 8 days old. i change him about 10~12 times a day, and only a few of those do NOT leak. All others, including dirty ones, leak through the receiving blanket i have him swaddled in.

is it because he is too small? he was 6 lbs. 10 oz. two days ago, and Huggies Newborn package says "up to 10 lbs."

is it because i don't have the diaper quite tight enough? his unbilical cord stump is still there, i have the top part of the front side folded down. could this be causing the leak? his penis points upward, and i've read that you should try pointing a boy's penis downward if you could. it doesn't look like my baby's penis wants to point downward!

someone said that huggies never leaked. what am i doing wrong? please help!!!

Geebee
01-30-2002, 10:42 PM
You aren't doing anything wrong! Sometimes, certain diapers aren't compatible with certain babies. I have friends that claim that it has to do with their body shape. Who knows. It is trial and error.

I tried Huggies Newborns, but they leaked on my girl, too. A friend of mine who has two girls swore by Huggies, but they didn't work for my girl. I switched to Pampers Newborns and didn't have a problem. My girl was only 6 lbs at birth.

So, try Pampers Newborns, and see how that goes.

FYI, all diapers leak at some point. (My daughter is 23 months old.)

I hope that helps, and you are doing fine!

emmiem
01-31-2002, 10:29 AM
My daughter weights 17 lbs and I have her in Pampers Premium 18-23 lbs. Seems like you need to size up. All diapers leak sometime. Try different brands.

webma
02-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Huggies leaked terribly for me too but Pampers were much better. I agree with the prior posters that diapers will leak. It's the percentage that counts. Moving up a size also seems to help since my girl is long for her age and weight.

minamorin
02-01-2002, 02:12 PM
thanks, ladies, for your feedback. it's interesting to find out that diapers leak if they are TOO BIG for a baby, not too small! i would have never imagine that! unfortunately we live in hawaii, where retailers don't do a very good job stocking products... went to two stores yesterday to find neither carried the smallest size in pampers!

webma
02-07-2002, 09:27 AM
You're right that the diapers will leak if there are gaps because they are too big. In general, the bigger size is more absorbent. If the leaks are mostly at night when the baby wears the diaper the longest, the next bigger size or an "overnight" version may help.