PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Layette Items

minamorin
02-08-2002, 02:50 PM
I have been given two pieces of baby clothing items and don't know what they are.

They look like blanket sleepers, with a sack-like design and an opening all the way down in the front, except they're both made of smooth cotton (instead of sleepers' fleece type of material), and have hoods.

What are these things? Do you use them for just 3 minutes after baths, before you put a real sleeper on? I can't put the baby in these to sleep in, because he might turn his head around in the hood and suffocate, right?

neuhofer
02-09-2002, 01:15 AM
I LOVED these things and use them instead of regular sleepers, but found they are not often carried in stores.

Just to confirm: they have arms like regular sleepers, but are cut like a skirt across the bottom, and the bottom is sewn shut or ties shut with a cord, right?

I just thought they were great for newborns, instead of having to get those curled up little legs stretched into the sleeper legs - the arms are enough to deal with! (Also easier for diaper changes).

As for the material, I also preferred sleepers made out of a lighter-weight cotton knit like a T-shirt rather than fleece. I was amazed at what a little furnace my baby girl was (and her same-age cousin). If I wanted more warmth, I still had the option of a diaper vest under the sleeper or a blanket on top - with heavy sleepers you are stuck.

Suffocating in the hood? Good question. I never even thought about that. I had one sleeper with a hood and of course had no problems. Children's sleepwear and clothing is subject to some careful safety concerns, so I would expect this would be prohibited if it was a notable risk.

One drawback of these style of garments is that they are not recommended for wearing during car travel, as the bottom may not allow the legs to stay cleanly on each side of the seatbelt harness.

Shannon

minamorin
02-09-2002, 01:55 PM
thank you for your input. the mystery continues for me, though....

i do have three sac-like fleece sleepers just like the ones described, only WITHOUT hoods. they have zippers in the front, and changing in the middle of the night is easy -- zip, flip, change, zip back! these things also allow the baby to move his legs but still keep him warm, since their roomy design enables layering. i use them a lot.

sounds like you used the hooded ones just like the ones i'm using... i'm just afraid of using the hooded ones on my baby to sleep in, since he sleeps on his side, and i feel the need to keep his neck area clear of any soft material that could be potential suffocation hazzard.