PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Wipes

caroliner
02-09-2002, 05:23 PM
I am thinking about buying some flannel wipes instead of commercial wipes for at least the first few weeks. Anyone else do this, what did you use, where did you buy,how many per day and would you recommend instead of commercial wipes?

tilly2321
02-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Hello! FOr review of some cloth wipes, go to diaperpin.com. I have heard many moms and dads use baby washcloths for wipes. As far as wipes go, you need to decide if you want to use flannel, hemp, or terry. These are great for baby's bottoms and can be reused. I would have at least three dozen laying around so you can always have lots handy. SOme may think that is too many, but I don't like to do wash everyday!
Some great sites to check out:
babylane.com
kellyscloset.com
katieskisses.com

Good luck!
Elaine

KathyO
02-11-2002, 09:36 PM
I agree with Tilly - you want to have lots of them around. No problem, though, as they can be quite cheap. I picked up a huge bunch of baby washcloths at a dollar store. I have a box of commercial baby wipes on the table for when my husband or I get to the table without remembering to moisten a washcloth first, but am still working on the same box I bought ten months ago. I think it's a major reason why my daughter has never had diaper rash.

KathyO

teresajill
02-11-2002, 11:43 PM
We used baby washcloths for a while and found it to be a major pain. There were never enough and it took a lot of scrubbing to get the spots out. Finally what we did was to buy the Huggies Natural wipes and then as we needed them, we would take them to the sink and rinse them out in warm water. That did the trick for us. I've heard some people even use soft paper towels, but they didn't seem all that soft to me.

suzska
02-12-2002, 12:53 AM
We've used Huggies Natural (unscented) from the beginning for my son, and have not had any problems with diaper rash--except when he eats pears. :-) Then his tushy gets a little red.

But, personally, I really like the Huggies wipes.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

egoldber
02-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Also, think about how often you want to have to do laundry. I figure I change my baby 6 to 10 times a day, using an average of 2 wipes per change. Thats 12-20 wipes a day. So to not have to do laundry EVERY day or even every other day figure you'd need about 50-100 cloths to be safe. I only do my baby's laundry once (occasionally twice) a week, just like I do my own. You'll also need to have commercial wipes for when you are out of the house and doing a diaper change, unless you want to cart the dirty cloths back. Personally, it sounds like a lot of work to me and having the baby is already a lot of work! Keeping track of washcloths would have been too much for me, initially.

I like both Pampers and Huggies wipes. At home, I use the Pampers Unscented pop-ups. I love the pop-up feature, but these wipes are VERY wet and before I put a new pack in the dipenser, I wring them out VERY thoroughly in the sink. That seems to do the trick and they are still PLENTY wet enough for changes. When I am out, I use the Huggies Natural Care, since the pop-up feature doesn't really matter then to me. Many people also like the Costco/Price Club brand (Kirkland) wipes, but I don't really care for them. My baby is 6 months and we have never had diaper rash. Unless your baby is perfume or chemical sensitive, I have read that diaper rash has more to do with a) how often they are changed, b) what they are eating and c) allowing their bottom to thoroughly dry before putting a new diaper on.

HTH,

HOBSON725
02-12-2002, 05:53 PM
HERE IS MY RECIPE FOR HOMEADE BABY WIPES...THEY HOLD UP REALLY WELL, EASY TO MAKE, AND EASY ON THE POCKETBOOK!

* 1 ROLL OF BOUNTY (OR OTHER HIGH QUALITY PAPER TOWEL) IN PLAIN WHITE SO THE DYES DON'T COME OFF
* 2 CUPS HOT TAP WATER
* 2 TBSP BABY OIL
* 2 TBSP BABY SHAMPOO OR BABY BATH
* 1 CONTAINER BIG ENOUGH TO FIT HALF OF THE PAPER TOWEL ( I USE A RUBBERMAID CONTAINER...#6 I BELIEVE)
1. CUT THE ROLL IN HALF WITH A BREAD KNIFE(A LITTLE MESSY,BUT IT DOES THE JOB). PLACE ONE HALF OF THE ROLL IN THE CONTAINER LARGE ENOUGH TO COVER. SAVE THE OTHER HALF FOR A 2ND BATCH OF WIPES LATER.

2. HEAT 2 CUPS OF TAP WATER IN THE MICROWAVE FOR 1-2 MINUTES OR UNTIL IT'S PRETTY WARM. ADD THE BABY OIL,AND BABY SHAMPOO/BABY WASH TO THE WATER. MIX THOROUGHLY WITH A SPOON.

3. POUR MIXTURE OVER THE PAPER TOWELS IN THE PLASTIC CONTAINER. COVER AND LET SIT FOR A FEW HOURS, UNTIL ABSORBED.

4. PULL OUT CARDBOARD TUBE FROM CENTER OF PAPER TOWEL ROLL. TO USE, PULL OUT WIPES FROM THE CENTER OF THE ROLL AND KEEP SEALED WHEN NOT IN USE.

COST: ABOUT 15-25 CENTS FOR A BATCH OF 64 LARGE-SIZED WIPES (YOU CAN GET 2 BATCHES FROM ONE ROLL!), OR LESS THAN 1 PENNY EACH!

katydid2002
02-15-2002, 02:53 PM
I never thought of that! I nannied for a lady who just kept a dish of cold water, and a roll of paper towels on the changing table. Also, she found that Viva were the softest possible paper towels, and I agree. Also, I remember doing an experiment in science in high school in which Viva won for the best absorbency. Give them a try!