PDA

View Full Version : What to bring baby home in?

jojo2324
02-11-2002, 12:13 PM
I am SO glad I found this website. Now I finally have an audience for all of those questions my husband can only stand for a little bit longer :) He's a wonderful person, but doesn't seem too concerned about footies vs. sacks for sleeping, etc. Here is my question. I live on Long Island, in NY. I am due June 29th, but I will probably go into July. Needless to say, it will be HOT. I bought a little terry cloth outfit to take the baby home in, but now I am concerned that it will be far too warm. Should I just skip the whole take-home-outfit craze and put the baby in a tee shirt and leggings? And obviously if I do use the terry cloth outfit, I will need to put a tee shirt underneath, and will that be too much? And what about at night? It gets cooler here because we are by the ocean, and we are also planning on moving and do not know yet if AC is in the house. Do I bundle up at night? It seems that every day I am able to focus on the one thing I have no answers to...Is it obvious this is my first? :)

suzska
02-11-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a terry-cloth outfit? Is it just like a Carter's "stretchie" or something else? If it is a one-piece thing, I wouldn't think you'd need a T-shirt underneath. Last summer my son either slept in a Carter's "stretchie"(footed sleep/play) or just a t-shirt (snap-crotch) if it was too warm. In the spring when it was colder we would put a t-shirt under the sleep/play. I just dress him like I would dress myself for the weather that day. You probably don't want to bundle him up too much, but that's just my opinion.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

jojo2324
02-11-2002, 06:32 PM
the outfit is a footie made of terry cloth, like a towel, but thinner. i think it would be a bit rough against the baby's skin so that's why i would use a tee shirt underneath.

TaraNY
02-11-2002, 07:21 PM
I would suggest something one-piece, even if it has short sleeves...you don't want anything that will disturb the umbilical cord stump.

teresajill
02-11-2002, 11:48 PM
I'd also be sure to use one that has snaps all down the front and down both legs. The first time you dress your little sweetie, it will be a bit scary and this will help. I've seen lots of onepiece outfits with long sleeves and long legs, but no feet - you might try this. Also, once you wash the Carter's terry cloth outfit a couple of times, it will be plenty soft to go against a baby's skin. I had my baby last May and almost never used a t-shirt.

jojo2324
02-12-2002, 02:35 AM
Thanks all for replying, but my main concern is still the temperature. Do you think that I should just skip the terry outfit (It is footed...I'm not sure if that was clear.) because it will be too warm to wear it? Should I just use a white cotton tee and some leggings to bring the baby home, or a lighter weight footie? I just don't want the poor thing sweating like crazy (ie, me worrying about one MORE thing :))because mommy was too stupid to think that a terry cloth outfit would be too warm. But then I don't want the baby to be too cold!! AARRGGHH!! I have to go to sleep...it is far too late (and too early in my pregnancy) to be stressing over this.

TaraNY
02-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Make this easy for yourself...bring two outfits, or several layers. First of all, I really wouldn't recommend leggings as the band might tug and pull at the umbtilical cord stump. One piece is much better. Bring the terry outfit in case it is cool enough (it could be overcast and raining...you never know). But also bring a short-sleeved, lightweight onesie, and a short-sleeved, lightweight coverall or footed outfit.

Little baby clothes don't take up much space, so just pack a couple of options.

caroliner
02-12-2002, 04:39 PM
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I live in San Diego and my due date is late June. I plan to bring a few options with me to bring the baby home in including: a one piece, footless soft cotton snap up from babygap, a side snap short sleeve tee-shirt (Carters) with a pair of soft cotton leggings, also babygap, a long sleeve side snap tee shirt, and an over the head tee-shirt. I will also have a blanket with me. So, we'll just decide once she gets here which outfit is best.

mommymaria
02-13-2002, 10:36 PM
I brought my son home on a very hot August day last year. I had packed items from Baby Gap: a soft blankie; a cap; a soft jacket, pants and side snap tee shirt; and a one piece without feet. It was so hot that we just ended up putting him in the side snap shirt and the cap, using the blanket to cover his legs till we got settled in the car.

I was glad to have brought the choices and would recommend doing the same.

By the way, I loved those Baby Gap side snap tee shirts. They were just enough clothing for around the house the first few hot weeks and did not rub against the umbilical cord stump.