PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for Fancy Dresses for Newborns...

Shirale
02-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Hi!
I have a 2 month old girl who is almost 22 inches and 10 pounds. I am looking for dressy dresses for her for a couple of special occasions (eg wedding and holidays)and I am not sure where to look...I would like good quality yet not ridiculous prices as she will grow out of them fast...can anyone help?

Thanks!

jojo2324
02-18-2002, 07:29 PM
What price point are you looking at? Could you use the same dress for several occasions? I was looking at the Gymboree site the other day and they had really cute stuff. Also, where do you live? There's a store near where I live (Long Island, NY) that specializes in children's wear. It's pricey, but the stuff is really nice, well made, most of it is imported. If you buy something there, you won't walk down the street and see four other children wearing it. It's called Punch, in East Hampton, NY. They have a website (www.punchonline.com) but it is very limited compared to the actual store. But they are really good about helping people over the phone pick something out and then they can ship to you. Maybe this can help.

suzska
02-19-2002, 12:31 AM
I was looking on http://www.babystyle.com and they had a few cute dresses--more "springy" type dressy dresses than super fancy dressy dresses. Most of them are in the $20 to $40 range. (Personally I like the way the Davenport Rose dress by Little Me looks that they have, but right now they only have it in the 3-months size.)

Penney's also has a cute white linen dress online, but I think it starts at 12M. I haven't seen much else while looking online. (I do, after all, have a little boy, so I haven't been paying attention to little girl clothes. LOL!)

Okay, I did a quick search and found this site: http://www.buyforkids.com/, but I don't know anything about them.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

emmiem
02-19-2002, 12:27 PM
Hanna Andersson makes beautiful dresses. They are wonderful quality and the sizing fits for a long time. They have a catalog and everything is also available online. I just bought a Spring dress from Gymboree also. They have brought their prices down this year on the dresses.

TaraNY
02-19-2002, 01:27 PM
Their prices might be higher than what you have in mind, but The Wooden Soldier has beautiful baby clothes. You can view their catalog through Google catalogs at http://catalogs.google.com/catalogs?issue=4841&catpage=cover&catview=thumb or call 800-375-6002 to request a catalog.

egoldber
02-19-2002, 09:50 PM
We went through a similar dress search when my daughter was 8 weeks olds and needed a dress for her to wear to a wedding. Try the major department stores like Lord&Taylor, Nordstrom's, Saks, and Macy's (or whatever you have in your area). The 0-3 month size is VERY hard to find things in, but your baby is a little bigger than mine was at that time. I found a couple of cotton knit dresses by Ralph Lauren that were just darling. They were beautiful and also classic. They were also on clearance (even better) for $15-ish, but only retailed for $35-ish. They were also a ton of accessories that went along with them (hats, blanket, tights, etc.)

HTH,

MelissaTC
02-21-2002, 04:55 PM
I was recently in Sears and they have some very pretty baby girl dresses and they are on sale this week. Some come with matching hats and they are so precious! They are also reasonable in price. Babies R Us also have some frilly dresses at a reasonable price. I would check them out before you spend a ton of money. Also, think about putting those dresses on consignment when you are done with them. Maybe you can get some of your $$$$ back.

-Melissa :)

neuhofer
03-04-2002, 03:33 AM
Try eBay. Gap is my favourite. Whatever brand you like, just search like the following examples: "baby gap linen" or "baby gap silk" or "baby gap luxe" so you don't have to look through a million items. You could specify the size if you want as well. You'll get tons of variety, many would be gorgeous little sets with matching bloomers and hats.

If you want brand-new items, just specify "NWT" or "NWOT" - that's eBay lingo for new with or without tags. It took me awhile to figure that one out! :)

Shirale
03-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,
thanks for your help! I found dresses (finally!) at Lord and Taylor. They actually have beautiful stuff, reasonable prices, and they have 0-3 and 3-6 mo sizes, unlike Macys. It is also such a pleasure to shop in Lord and Taylor (in NYC) as opposed to Macys....thanks again!

egoldber
03-06-2002, 05:01 PM
I have had wonderful luck at Lord&Taylor. Their clearance racks are very good, often times there is an additional discount on top of the marked down price. I have gotten $40 outfits for $4. And I never pay over $10 for really beautiful things there. Of course, you CAN spend a lot there, but you don't need to. :-)