PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bags

Cindder
02-20-2002, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on who makes a really good diaper bag? There are so many out there, including some by designers (Kate Spade,Tommy Hilfiger..). I have no idea who makes the best in terms of functionality and durability.

Thank you for your help!!!

Deanne

MinnieMouse
02-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Land's End!!

We have two of them and they are GREAT.

Not that expensive ...and come in all kinds of sizes...even a backpack one!

Just go to landsend.com and do a diaper bag search and they'll all pop up.

Land's End also has outstanding customer service and replaces things years after you purchase them!!

Christine

tarheelmom
02-20-2002, 06:25 PM
It took me forever to pick out a diaper bag, but I finally ended up with the un-diaper bag from babystyle.com. I've read nothing but raves for the Lands End bags but decided I wanted something sort of "chic" (which is funny because I am totally a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl). Anyway, I really love it - it is long and sort of shallow, which means I don't have to dig around to find stuff at the bottom. It is also easily wiped clean. I knew I didn't want a backpack style bag, but some people really like those. I also have a Combi Fashion diaper bag that I have not yet used (my ds is 6 months old). By the way, my un-diaper bag looks just as great now as it did brand new. Good luck on your search!

Cindder
02-20-2002, 06:55 PM
I hear you on the style thing....Is the bag you have called the "un-diaper bag" from babystyle.com? I have been looking at the black Kate Spade messenger diaper bag...a little pricey but looks chic!

Thank you!

Deanne

tarheelmom
02-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Yes, that's the one. It's $58 now, but I think I paid a little more than that 6 months ago. I hated to spend the money but I have used it every single day since (we go out and about all the time). I got the black one. Just to warn you, the leather accents are a patent-ish leather rather than the soft leather, which doesn't bother me at all. I like it that way because it cleans a little easier. It's got bottle pockets on each end, which I use for my cell phone, etc. It's also got an inside pocket and key clip, and the bottom zips open and has a black changing pad. I get a lot of compliments on it and I could use it as a tote later! Good luck! By the way, I probably would have loved a Kate Spade bag but they don't even sell them anywhere near me!

suzska
02-20-2002, 11:06 PM
I'm another one of those moms who doesn't care about "style" as much as I do care about function. I also have two Lands' End diaper bags, but I haven't used the Little Tripper one as much yet (I'm sure that will change soon enough). I have been very happy with my Do-It-All bag. I have also been very happy with their Customer Service and have been buying Lands' End products for over 10 years.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Cindder
02-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks again for the input! I looked at that bag, and it looks nice!

You can always find Kate Spade on Ebay....usually at a good price COMPARED to retail, but its still pricey...

egoldber
02-22-2002, 02:55 PM
I now have 3 diaper bags, A Lands End Deluxe Do it All, a Lands End Little Tripper and a Combi Urban Sling. Until my baby was eating solid foods, I used the Little Tripper as my everyday bag. It was a great size. Now that she is on solids, I find it to be a little small for my everyday needs (since they now include her eating solids "on the road" ) and I now use the Combi as my everyday "out and about for awhile" bag and the Little Tripper for quick trips to the grocery, etc. I use the larger LE bag only on car trips as her "suitcase".

I LOVE the Combi bag. It is very nice and is organized VERY well. It has a ton of pockets, etc. so I don't have to dig for everything like I did in the Little Tripper. I still like the Little Tripper and think that in the future as my baby gets bigger, I will probably downsize back into that bag eventually. But in general, I seem to pack more lightly than is typical.

Another mommy friend of mine has a Belly Basics bag that she got from Nordstrom's that she likes very well. It also has the sleek, black urban look, like the Combi. yet another mommy friend has the Coach bag, which she likes very much. Most other moms I know are still using the free ones from the hospital.

HTH,

nywifey
03-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Cinder,

I was so hung up on that Kate Spade Messenger Bag for the longest time! It's just not functional. The bottle pockets are to wide that the bottles don't stand up. I've heard tons of complaints about her bags. The best bag for style and function is the Coach Transatlantic Baby Bag (read the tread in the stroller/stuff category). I'm also thinking of purchasing the Combi Urban Sling as an alternative for lighter days. But for all day outings, I think the Coach bag is the best choice (if style is important to you).

emmiem
03-04-2002, 12:00 PM
I also only wanted Kate Spade. I bought the diaper bag and used it for about 6 weeks. It doesn't have a lot of pockets for your stuff. The bottle pockets are ok. I used one for a bottle and the other for my cell phone. However, when I would swing the bag down to put DD in her car seat, my cell would also fall out. I tried using velcro but it would not stick for long on the microfiber material. I bought the Messenger Bag from NM online and returned it. It's too bulky and the pockets are even worse! I use my Coach one for long days out of town. It's big and gets heavy all packed up. I use the Gap Backpack Diaper bag almost everyday. I thinking about getting a Abenbag. It's stylish and more lightweight. I'm getting tired on plain black microfiber material. Seems heavy looking for the summer. Anybody have any input? My husband uses the LE Little Tripper. It's very functional but not stylish.

heathbar
03-19-2002, 11:12 PM
I spent so much time looking at diaper bags. I finally decided on the Baby Trend Black Backpack. It has 3 zippered areas in the front- for a wallet, keys, etc., which I think is essential. I liked that it is a backpack because I don't have to worry about it falling from my shoulder when holding the baby or taking a hike. It is very lightweight and easy to access the many compartments. It was only $29.99 at Babiesrus. I also like that I can use it for travelling, after the baby gets older, as a travel on bag.

Kate Spade is so over priced and doesn't have enough compartments.

nywifey
03-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Right now, LL Bean is offering really cute gingham trim on their Canvas Boat Bag Totes which are perfect for dropping baby off at the babysitters or grandma's for the day. The small Canvas Boat Bags are the perfect size for a few diapers, wipes and a toy or two. I love how they offer the bags now with a zipper closure and they are quite reasonably priced for the small bag at $14 w/o zipper, $24 w/zipper. I am currently debating between the small or the medium. I just think it's adorable with powder blue or pink trim! Plus, the baby can always use the bag for their toys in tow later on.

caryn
04-03-2002, 02:56 PM
I use a Land's End Little Tripper for quick errands, and I use the Baby Bijorn diaper bag for full-blown day trips. It has tons of compartments and can hold alot of stuff. It isn't practical for carrying around the mall or the zoo, though, because it is pretty big and it is hard, like a piece of luggage. I've also had luck at TJMaxx finding decent Kenneth Cole diaper bags.

m2tandk
04-03-2002, 04:04 PM
love Lands End!

MelissaTC
04-03-2002, 10:38 PM
I just received my Combi Urban Sling in the mail and LOVE IT! I would suggest checking it out. It is stylish, cool, functional and seems to be pretty durable...

-Melissa
:)

savvymomtobe
04-07-2002, 09:50 PM
I am expecting in May and have the Lands End Do it All bag. Both my sister and brother love theirs. My sister lost the diaper changing pad and Land's End sent another at no cost. Can't beat that for customer service.

Melanie
04-27-2002, 09:26 PM
I found that a diaper bag backpack worked well for us. I don't have to worry about leaving it in the stroller/on the shopping cart and being stolen (I keep my things in it too). However I do find myself using a regular diaper back for those occasions when I'm not in my usual mommywear. =)

I got the one called McKenzie Kids. It was from Right Start.

Mommy to Little Jonah

mom2be
05-15-2002, 04:52 PM
How do you like the GAP back pack? My husband and I are expecting our first this Winter. We bought the back pack because he said he'd use it too. I wanted the big GAP tote...Do you like the back pack? I know it has all the great little pockets which I thought would be helpful.

emmiem
05-16-2002, 10:05 AM
I like the Backpack. It has one section for adult things but I could never figure out what to put in the small pockets other than the cell phone one. The diapers go in the mesh pocket and the bottle pocket is great on the side. I used the other section for my checkbook, calendar, and papers. It does get heavy when full, however. It is handy having it on my back when pushing the stroller. Now, I am using the Abenbag. It's more of a big tote bag. I like it because its very pretty, and lightweight but it has no pockets outside and it just closes with a flap and things can fall out if tipped. I have discovered that there is no perfect diaper bag. The Coach one was the closest to being perfect althought it's too big and heavy for me.

minamorin
06-01-2002, 04:11 PM
i ordered the diaper backpack from lands' end. unfortunately, i have to return it. i like the functionality and style, the price can't be beat, so what's wrong?

i'm 5'2", weigh 95-lbs and am very small-boned. the shoulder straps of this backpack are too wide apart at the top, and keep falling off my shoulders as i walk. i'm disappointed, because i really liked it. however, it would likely work for an average size woman. i realize i'm off the normal curve.

just another input for those of you who are considering purchasing this product!

docreeler
06-10-2002, 11:19 AM
I looked at several diaper bags and decided I couldn't see spending $50 or $60 on a bag. I bought a very nice bookbag/backpack for $15 from K-Mart and stocked it myself. It has two exterior pockets (presumably originally intended to hold a soft drink bottle or can) that can hold my DS's bottles; it has three smaller outer pockets for my purse, my DS's medical record booklet, keys, pens, etc; and it has two large compartments. In one, I put his diaper changing supplies, and in the other is his spare clothing, toys, etc., and a leisure book for me. I have used this bag for over half a year and am extremely satisfied with it. When my DS outgrows the need of a diaper bag, the bag can be put to other purposes -- it does not scream "infant diaper bag".

I hope this helps.

- Lynn

daisymommy
06-12-2002, 04:56 PM
The best diaper bag in the world? (even better than the ugly-scratchy Lands End "Do-it-all" diaper bag that I returned) is the Eddie Bauer diaper bag! I have the mid/large size one that is the same size as Lands End, and comparable in price ($34.00 at Target or BRU) only it's better! It has that great sturdy "back-pack" rugged style fabric, with soft suede trim. It has a large inside section, with a waterproof pouch for wet/dirty stuff, large bottle holders on either side (will fit Avent bottles), a back pocket which fits a blanket, large diaper changing section with changing pad & pockets for toiletries inside, as well as a cell phone pocket, and parents pouch big enough for your wallet, sunglasses, keys, etc. I also have the smaller version which compares to the "Little Tripper" by Lands End, but once again, I find more stylish and better made. It has a parent pocket and bottle holders as well ($17.00 at Target or BRU). I have the bags in Navy blue, but they come in forest green, cranberry, and black as well. An added bonus--hubby says they look cool enough that he won't mind carrying they around when DS is born in August! Amy