PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sleepwear

LMO
03-08-2002, 12:26 PM
What do babies typically sleep in during the summer? (We live in Washington, DC, where summer can be very hot, but the air-conditioning's usually on.) My 5 month old has been living in Carter's footed sleepers, but he's on the verge of busting out of the largest size. I'm not sure what my next option is. I'm having a hard time finding anything with feet, but I'm not sure if that matters. Any advice?

HOBSON725
03-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Have you tried ONESIES? We live in Texas, which gets on the warm side in the summer, and I plan on having my DD sleep in onesies.

MelissaTC
03-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Since you are in DC, I am guessing there might be a Carter's Outlet in that big outlet place, Potomac Mills. They sell feetie pants which you can put over a onesie. I am in the Raleigh-Durham area in NC and we live in central air. I bought a bunch of those onesie pants and they onlycost $3. Check them out.

-Melissa
:)

suzska
03-08-2002, 11:58 PM
The "thin" Carter's footed sleepers stop at the 6-9 month size. After that the only footed sleepers I've been able to find are more on the "fleecy" side. And not what you want for summer. They do make two-piece pj's that are still on the "thin" side (not fleecy), some with feet (probably long-sleeved) and some without (probably short-sleeved).

My son was still only a few months old last summer, so he was still in the sleepers for the colder nights, and just a snap-bottom T for hotter/warmer nights. This year we've got two-piece pj's with shorts (and some also come with long pants) and short-sleeves.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

egoldber
03-09-2002, 11:53 AM
We also live in DC area (northern VA) and I was planning to use just onesies for my baby (now 6 1/2 months) this summer. In fact, the last couple nights have been pretty warm and that is all she has slept in. But we keep her bedroom door closed at night (to keep pets out) so her room is a little stuffy at night even with the AC on. I have found that she doesn't really care what she sleeps in. My husband thinks I'm pretty silly for wanting to change her into a "sleeper" at bedtime. :-)

HTH,

jojo2324
03-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Would onesies be okay for a newborn too? I am due with my first the end of June, and I've been wondering about this. I'm sure it will be sweltering most of the time (live on Long Island), but then with newborns don't you have to really monitor their body heat?

egoldber
03-09-2002, 08:16 PM
My baby was born last August, and I must say she slept best when she was in a onesie and then swaddled. But you don't need to cover them in heavy layers. In fact it is just as dangerous for them to overheat as it is to be too cold. After the first couple weeks, I was told by ped to dress her in one more layer than I was comfortable in. Now I dress her like I do myself.

HTH,

twins r fun
04-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I thought this was such a great, great idea but I could not find the pants anywhere. I looked in the Carters outlet and anywhere else I could think of. Finally, though, I found some at JC Penny's! They don't have feet, which is actually better for me and they were only $9.99 for 3 (and on sale to top it off). I bought small and medium for my twins, but the XL supposedly fit up to 26 lbs.

Summer pajamas from Carters were going to cost me $9-$13 each (and I have to buy double). This is so much cheaper and my thinking is they can probably wear the pants more than one night without being washed. The onesies will be a slobbery mess, but the pants may be fine (until we start solids!). Also if I decide it's too hot for pants once the babies are asleep I can actually slide these off very easily.

I think Melissa's idea is great and I'm so glad JCP had what I needed!

Nicole

Kate
04-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi Nicole - Twins??!! My son and daughter were born 1/14/02. I've been looking for someone to chat with by email to share twin tips etc.
-Kate ([email protected])