PDA

View Full Version : Infant/Toddler Shoes in Wide Sizes

Catherine226
05-07-2002, 07:17 AM
Can anyone suggest a less expensive alternative for infant/toddler shoes in wide sizes? Currently, I have to take my son to the local shoe store for Stride Rites, which cost $40 a pop. I've checked many of the discount and department stores, even JC Penney catalog, and nobody seems to carry wide sizes.

m2tandk
05-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Do you have a stride rite outlet anywhere in your area?? We just found one here in south florida and the prices are almost half of the regular store. I had the same problem with my DS and thats the only place i can find shoes for him. Stride Rite or their outlet.

kelly

momathome
05-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Payless ShoeStores have wide sizes and their shoes tend to run wide to begin with. Good luck!
-Lauren

m2tandk
05-07-2002, 01:53 PM
how wide is your DS foot? Mine is a triple E width and Payless doesn't ever fit him. I have the same problem with my feet. I have an E width and "wide" in most places means about a C or maybe a D width. I haven't had any luck anywhere except Stride Rite. The Payless stores around here do not carry very many wides for children. And like I said, my kids foot is wider than what they have in a wide.

kelly

suzska
05-07-2002, 06:20 PM
I have seem some wide toddler shoes at KMart. Can't think of anywhere else. I thought my son's feet might be wide and got his last pair at KMart. But I just bought him a regular width pair of tennis shoes at Target the other day, and they look like they will fit him okay.

Catherine226
05-08-2002, 07:19 AM
Thanks everyone! I admit I have not tried Kmart or Payless. The outlet store is a good idea too! A new Stride Rite Outlet opened at the outlet mall about 1 1/2 hr from here (a good excuse to go shopping). We also have a really good consignment store where sometimes I get lucky and find a wide pair in my sons size. It makes me wonder why more stores and mfrs don't have wide sizes.

joodyjr
07-22-2002, 02:44 PM
I hate to sound like a dork, but please remember this: This is a crucial time for your childs foot development. Companies like Stride Rite make shoes that provide the stability and support that those little feetsies need. Payless shoes while they are inexpensive, may not provide the support needed for growing feet. Nike and New Balance are also nice alternatives and if I remember correctly, New Balance does have a nice variety of widths. You may also want to try Keds.
My mother has worked in the shoe industry for nearly 40 years and I have learned alot about foot care from her. However, a pair of Sunday only shoes, or a pair that will only be worn very infrequently, then Payless does save the day. But shoes that will be worn alot should have better support to them. (I have worked at both Payless shoe stores and Stride Rite/Nike/New Balance dealers). Again, I don't mean to seem a dork, I just want to make sure those little feetsies get the best support. And no, I won't buy your kids shoes for you! LOL :7