PDA

View Full Version : Baby Gift

Shirale
05-20-2002, 09:48 AM
Hi!
My friend just had her 4th baby, a boy (she has 2 other boys and one girl) and I have no idea what would be helpful or useful or evenj just nice to buy for the baby as a present! Does anyone have any ideas?? I am a first time Mom so I think the things that were great for us she already has! Thanks!

KathyO
05-20-2002, 10:51 AM
You're right - she's probably not only well set for gear, she probably has her kid-care setup well-established, and no more room in the house anyway!

How about some gift certificates for local delivery/take-out places? Or an hour or two of maid service? Do you have a local laundry service that will whisk a pile of stuff away and return it clean and folded? Or maybe a massage therapist who makes house calls? Are you close enough to take the other kids away for a day, or do her grocery shopping for the first few weeks?

I admit, stuff like this doesn't have the "ooh, cute!!" fun aspect of a sweet little outfit or something, but multi-moms I know have been ready to break down in tears and kiss the feet of people who give these kinds of gifts!! My mother STILL talks about the gift of 6 weeks of diaper service that her mother gave her.

Just a thought,

KathyO

Andrews Mom
05-20-2002, 02:12 PM
What about getting her a gift certificate to Picture People or Sears Portrait studio or something like that. By the 4th baby, she probably isn't taking as many pictures but might appreciate some professional shots.

suzska
05-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Of course there's always the "not-so-glamorous" gift of diapers/wipes. Or maybe just a gift certificate to somewhere (for said diapers/wipes/baby essentials) with a small stuffed animal for the baby--something that would be just his.

tarheelmom
05-21-2002, 06:34 AM
I have a friend who has a huge, well-off family and got everything in the world for both her babies. When the second one came, I had no idea what that baby could possibly need. I ended up buying a bunch of books for her, since I figured books get torn up, etc. by the older kid/kids. I made sure to get at least one the older child would like. She really liked the gift and her older child loved it, too. Hope that helps!

MelissaTC
05-21-2002, 07:51 AM
One thing that people always seem to need for their babies are the little essential things that seem to get abused as they go through children, like towels, receiving blankets, washcloths, etc.. You might want to consider putting a collection of these items together for her. With a boy, she'll need those extra wash cloths and diapers to "protect" herself from unwanted showers! Also, think about some of those necessary health and beauty items like vaseline, cotton balls, baby wash, baby shampoo, etc.. These are things she is going to need and may not be able to get out of the house to buy.

HTH,
Melissa
:)

laura_winckler
05-30-2002, 07:24 PM
I want you to be my friend!! :-)

willsmom
06-02-2002, 07:25 PM
A gift I love to give to any new mom is film! I have spent a fortune on film and film developing and then the stuff for putting it in a scrapbook. A gift of film and a gift certificate for somewhere that develops film might be handy. Just make sure you know what kind of camera this person has. 35mm film wouldn't be that helpful with a digital camera!

Another fun idea is to make a little scrapbook that is all ready for her to just place her pictures in. I doubt that she has a lot of time for scrapbooking with four little ones. Someday the fourth child is going to wonder why there are no keepsake albums of him! I like to use Creative Memories snap packs (everything you need to make an album) and their "sentiments" album. It makes a wonderful gift and people think it took you a really long time! (it doesn't) You can go to creativememories.com for a consultant near you.