PDA

View Full Version : poll - what's your fave baby clothing labels? what do u like?

sntm
07-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Was on another message board and learned about catimini and am already predicting a new addiction as the patterns are sooooo cute.

What other really great baby clothes have you found? How's the quality -- how does the fabric feel, does it stand up to washing, are they easy to get on and off, etc?

Where have you found them for good $$? Any recommended online resale shops?

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

jenneric_2000
07-12-2002, 07:21 AM
I am a big fan of Gymboree, but you have to wait for sales. The have a Gymbuck promotion where you get one coupon per every 25$ you spend and then about 6-8weeks later you can redeem your coupons --per every coupon you can spend 25$ and get 25$ clothing for free!!! I received two gymbucks with clothes when DD was born so I got $100 worth of clothes for 50$!!! They turn over their whole store every few months so you can get some real deals and the clothes are all cotton, wash like a dream and are sized really well!!!

MinnieMouse
07-12-2002, 08:44 AM
This may sound weird..but Walmart!!

At least for infant stuff (0-3, 3-6, & 6-9). They have a GREAT line of McBaby clothes for infants. They have and entire group of clothing that all mixes and matches with bibs, hats and socks that match. They wash well and we've loved them. Each hanger of clothes is about $10 or less and will either have an outfit (overalls/shirt, dress, etc.) or 2 tops or 2 prs of pants.

With everything mixing and matching it's so easy to rotate everything she's wearing. They have onsies and tshirts as well as footed pants and capris (at least for the girls). There is generally one girls grouping and one boys grouping there at a time...with more selections on the discount rack. We found though that if you like something, grab it because these outfits fly out of their stores.

Actually our very favorite picture we have of dd was taken in a McBaby dress.

Other great resources that I've found is Babies R Us...on their sale racks and The Disney Store...believe it or not!...they have HUGE sales on their stuff as well.

I wasn't thrilled with Gymboree's prices...even the stuff on sale...maybe when dd gets a bit older and is wearing clothes long enough to wear them out...but they are in them for SUCH a short time...I can't see spending that much on them.

HTH

christine

egoldber
07-12-2002, 10:09 AM
I second the vote for Gymboree. Their stuff is great and they do have wonderful sales. Yesterday I got a onesie for $3.49! They are also having their big sock sale, all socks $1.99, and some colors are $.99. So I stocked up on some socks in the next size up. Gymboree is probably my favorite store, but you have to wait for the sales.

I also love Hanna Andersson. Her stuff is fantastic, so unique and special, but so expensive! I have a couple outfits that were hand me downs that are as good as new. I also picked up an outfit at a consignment store for $4.

Many of the big department stores carry a line called Moonbeams. Their stuff is also gorgeous, very similar to Gymboree in terms of quality and I find that their sizes run true. My 11 month old is wearing mostly 18 and 24 month clothes now, but in Moonbeams she can still wear 12 month sizes. I like to buy these at my local Lord&Taylor off the rack of "extra 50% off already marked down price" clothes :). I have also seen those clothes at other stores like Macy's.

I also buy a lot of her clothes at Target. They have some wonderful styles (they have some very obvious knock offs of styles from Gymboree and Carter's) and are great for buying basics like white cotton knit shorts for summer ($3.99, full retail price). With Target though, I have to ALWAYS buy a size or two larger since their clothes tend to shrink A LOT after the first washing. This is worse with some lines than others. Their Circo line isn't too bad, but their Lullaby Club line shrinks terribly.

I don't buy many clothes at consignment or re-sale stores, I find it to be too hit and miss. I prefer to shop the sales at the mall. In an hour and a half yesterday I hit Gymboree, BabyGap, Children's Place, Macy's and Lord&Taylor (and got Sarah's hair cut at Cartoon Cuts). I bought 2 onesies, a shirt, and 6 pair of socks for a total of less than $20. Personally, I much prefer to do my shopping in the mall and have my latte while I stroll, rather than hop small shop to shop. If you don't have a good local mall, though, this isn't always an option.

HTH,

Andrews Mom
07-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Gymboree is one of my favorites too. I'm always checking the sale racks and got DS an entire outfit (onesie, shorts, and socks) for about $10 the other day.

I also really like Old Navy. Good prices on most everything and occassionally great stuff on the clearance rack. I've found things for as low as $1.50.

My other favorite is Carter's. Their outlet stores are great if you have one close by.

Happy shopping! :)

jojo2324
07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
i love love love catamini...the stuff is so adorable! I also really like petit bateau. It can be really expensive, but it lasts and the cotton is sooo soft. When my littlest sister was born she was able to wear some of the petit bateau that I wore when I was a baby! (Seventeen years between us!) Same for Zutano. They have cute cotton coordinates that you can mix and match; a bit pricey, but the cotton again is incredible. I know that there is a Catamini in NYC (Madison Avenue of course :p) but I have seen stuff on websites that sell "gently worn" items, or even new for much less. I believe one is kidscloset.com. It's based out of England, but they do ship to the states, and based on what I've seen, the prices are hard to beat. They sell items I've seen for $80 for $10! Search ebay too...I saw some cute Petit Bateau stuff there, as well as Zutano (babystyle for that). I'm pretty sure Petit Bateau has a store in NYC too (again, Mad Ave). They also make stuff for the ladies.

Honestly, I really just shop at Gap. I have a few nice things from those other companies, but I would skip the basics like onesies and tees and stuff like that. Carter's is just as nice. And my favorite outfit right now for my little guy is from Old Navy...The only thing about so many stores is the name splashing all over the item. It annoys me. However, you can't beat the prices, especially since they grow so fast. And I am a fiend when it comes to price adjustments at gap.

Another one I just remembered...Pepper Toes, at least for little boys. It's the boy version of Baby LuLu. I am not a fan of baby lulu; too much floral at once for me, but I think the pepper toes stuff is really cute.

ct
07-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Just an FYI about Target clothing - if you ever purchase something that shrinks so badly after washing that it is almost unwearable, you can return if provided you have the receipt (even if you don't have the tags anymore). I purchased some maternity tops there and even though I usually hang dry them, the tag on the shirt said to dry on low so I thought I'd give it a try. Needless to say the shirts shrank so badly that they were no longer useful as maternity shirts (didn't cover up the panel on my pants - real attractive!). I emailed Target and they told me that they would report this to their clothing manufacturer and that I could return the shirts to the store, which I did - no problems at all.

ct

Melanie
07-12-2002, 05:26 PM
I love Carter's. We live by an outlet mall, so I frequent their store often. They sell the same lines as are currently in the stores. I have yet to have any of them wear out before they've been grown out of. Their terry cloth PJ's run bigger than the non-terry cloth.

I have yet to find anything at Gymboree (other than bubbles!) for my son. Their girls' stuff looks cute, but nothing for boys that fits my taste.

I got some cute summer things at BRU sale rack, but usually their full-price stuff is more than I find other places. I haven't used them yet, so I can't speak to durability.

I also have a few things from Old Navy that I like. Also my favorite for shoes is K-mart! They seem to be the only place selling soft-soled shoes beyond the tiny sizes.

Mommy to Jonah

Rachels
07-14-2002, 11:30 AM
I also love the Gymboree stuff (although I have a daughter, and I agree that their boys' stuff isn't as cute). Other than that, we tend toward Carter's, Baby Gap, and Little Me. Little Me preemie things were great in the beginning since our baby was born at 38 weeks and was just a peanut. The only thing I don't like about the Little Me stuff is that some of their clothes have all the snaps in the back-- a major pain, so look carefully. The quality is great, though.
-Rachel

luvbeinmama
07-14-2002, 11:14 PM
I have had some Gymboree clothes and find that the quality is fantastic! However, I can't bring myself to actually go there and buy it myself, as it is expensive and I'm not good at waiting for sales.

I shop at Old Navy (limited selection for boys, but really good quality and nice styles), and at Target. I really like the clothes at Target, but have to agree about the sizing. I'm putting my 2 1/2 year old boy in 4T shirts and 2-3T shorts. However, at about $4-5 a garment, if he totally ruins something (which he really hasn't... yet!) it really doesn't matter. I've bought a couple of the Garanimals at WalMart and while the quality of the fabric leaves something to be desired, at $2.88, the price can't be beat. And the fabric is really light which is great for summer.

I did frequent the Carter's Outlet when he was younger and just LOVED their footed stretch pants before he was walking. I also like the Carter's sleepers & pajamas.

I've even shopped used/consignment stores and found some nice stuff that he grew out of before wearing out.

While I like the quality of the higher priced brands, I find that the less expensive stuff lasts just as well for my son, and I don't worry about it getting ruined.

luvtoshop
07-14-2002, 11:35 PM
I am 7 months pg and have been splurging here and there on beautiful Petit Bateau, Miniman, & Petite Ourse outfits. I will stick to Carter's outlets for onesies, gowns, etc. to offset the pricey outfits. : )

I purchased 2 Petit Bateau things on ebay. Warning: "Gently Worn" translates to baby has spit up on this and been washed 100 times and not 1,000. Decided to just buy a few pieces and get it brand new.

Like that you are an overachiever! : ) Good luck!

jojo2324
07-15-2002, 10:01 AM
a note about petit bateau...they snap up the back, which some people love and most hate. I have tried a couple of things on my newborn and it is a real pain. Maybe once he has more neck control it will be easier. I'm not sure, but do most French companies do the same with the snaps?

ooh, Sucre D'orge is nice. Absorba too! Alphabet. I used to work in a children's clothing store. Can you tell? :)

Melanie
07-15-2002, 06:25 PM
I bought a cute Little Me Newborn PJ set that snapped up the back - what a PAIN! Now that he's halfway across the floor before I have him dressed, it might be beneficial. =)

Mommy to Jonah

mom2be
07-15-2002, 06:55 PM
I'm only 5 months preg, but I've gotten all my layette pieces. I love GAP! I've gotten most of my maternity items from GAP and always check out the baby sale at the same time. I've found awesome prices! I wore GAP pre-preggie so I trust the brand/quality for the baby items. They also have price adjustments. I have bought a few other brands (gymboree, childrens place, ect) but I always feel the fabric (would I like to wear it?) and check things like how easy are the snaps, zippers, ect. You can totaly find great deals if you just tell youself to shop only sales! =)

ellenyko
07-19-2002, 05:12 PM
ellenyko

I like gymboree, gap, carter's and little me because they are reasonably priced, well-sized and they wash quite well. They all have cute designs! We received some petit bateau rompers as a gift -- they have the infamous snaps on the back. Honestly, I didn't mind the snaps at all. I got used to them quickly (so many diaper changes) and I loved the rompers themselves so much that I bought others. Just be warned that the sizing is quite different -- my son is almost 6 months and he wears 12 month in pb. I loved an absorba outfit that he wore for about three months. We also received a few ralph lauren outfits that are quite soft and very cute. I found gerber onesies to be really rough (I don't think he cared, though!). If you really like the designer stuff, you can find it on sale at Saks and if there's an Off 5th (Saks' outlet shop) near you, I saw lots of nice things on sale there as well. Best of luck to you! It's never too early to prepare!

Melanie
07-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Old Navy is tops for socks! I thought grippy-socks were silly for babies until I had one. We were always standing him up on stuff (he loved it) and this kept his feet from sliding ackwardly. They seem the same as at Baby Gap, but a better selection and excellent prices. Last time I got 7 pairs for $10.

Stay away from Gerber clothing! It's all SO rough.

I have a question: what do you prefer for infant pants which are not stretchy (like jeans or chinos)? I like the zip/button fly with an elastic back. They seem to be easier to pull up, but it seems most brands/styles are pull-on. The ones we have found which are not were Old Navy and Target, however not all that they sell are like this.

Mommy to Jonah

betsyjaffe
08-03-2002, 01:57 PM
I love the Little Me stuff (at least for girls -- I have not always had luck with gifts for boys). I buy practically all of my daughter's clothes at their outlet store for very little money. I just don't buy the outfits that snap up the back, there are plenty that don't.

I have also done well with Good Lad, absorba, bt kids and Nanette at Nordstrom's Rack and Lord and Taylor.

Zansu
08-03-2002, 07:02 PM
I really like the Oinkbaby line. Great primary colors and nice fabrics.

MelissaTC
08-03-2002, 10:42 PM
I love Baby Gap, Gymboree and Carters. However, my son is a long little guy and right now, the GAP clothes are the only clothes that fit him well. Gymboree seems to run large and Carters clothes tend to be fine length wise but there is excess material on the sides. Since I live very close to a Carters outlet, I tend to get the majoirty of his clothes from there. It's not easy shopping with an infant! These clothes have lasted well through washings. I won't put him in anything that isn't cotton. I have also found that some of the clothes from Target and Wal-Mart are ok. My Grandma bought him some of the McKids clothes and they were 100% cotton and actually quite nice.

-Melissa
:)

joodyjr
08-05-2002, 09:24 PM
I loved Little Me when my son was an infant. He's almost 2 now and we shop Target. They hold up well, and the prices can't be beat even if they're not on sale. I did snag some onesie T-Shirts for $1.90 each. I also love Walmart's McBaby. I managed to find some incredible deals on Ebay and most of it was McBaby in brand new condition. Otherwise I'd have to say I really like Old Navy also for his clothes now.

Rachels
08-06-2002, 03:04 PM
I have some oinkbaby stuff, too. Adorable! My daughter always gets great compliments when she wears these.

ecarley
08-07-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Carter's and Children's Place. I especially like that CP stuff goes on sale while it's still in season. Gymboree clothes are fabulous too, but even when they're on sale, they're still too pricey for my taste.

Ebay is the best source for used clothes I've found on the web. Also, I frequent resale shops and large thrift stores. You can find fabulous deals if you take the time to look!

riostoker
08-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Carter's Outlet is by far my favorite. We do most of our shopping there. If you get on their mailing list, they'll send you a "20% off one item" coupon every time they have a sale. That ends up being a great deal! One time, I found a 32$ dress on sale 50% off for 16$. Then, I used my 20% off coupon, so it was only about $13!!

My favorite thing to do is go to big Consignment sales. There was one this morning that the Mothers of Multiples group did. Look in your local newspaper for these big sales. I sometimes find great deals on barely used Hanna Andersson, Gymboree, etc.

I go to Target and Walmart some, along with Gap, Old Navy, and Children's Place; however, I hate the "dress your baby girl like a teenager" look that so many stores are going toward these days. It often seems that's all I find in Gap, Old Navy, and Children's Place. Does anybody have suggestions for other places/brands with more traditional baby-baby clothes like Carter's? I just can't stand putting her in things like a denim miniskirt and sweater with a fur collar!

:)

elaine_l
09-03-2002, 02:33 PM
I really like the clothes I've gotten from Land's End. I usually prowl the overstocks and pick up things on discounts. The quality is excellent.

I've had terrific luck lately at Sears for toddler clothes. They have a house line that is very affordable every day and is really soft and durable. They also carry many brands that I like. I got some super Heath-Tex outfits there for my daughter that had a long tunic top with shorts. The selection is excellent, and I can usually find _something_ there that I want.

When I bought infant clothes, I found many nice cute onesies at Mervyn's, but I don't like their toddler clothes.

I also buy at Target and have found good things there.

Some of my favorite outfits have come from Baby Gap, but in the last year I haven't found much that I like there. They have a super after xmas sale where I've found some terrific deals.

Hanna Andersson has the best hats.

starrynight
09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
I like Healthtex, Old Navy, Little Me, and Oshkosh. I will buy Gymboree only if it is a major discount, otherwise things get outgrown too quickly to spend that much. Oshkosh and little me I will only buy on clearance or sale again for the reasons mentioned above. I also like Mcbaby from walmart and the Garanimals for going out to play.

caroliner
09-06-2002, 11:10 AM
My favorite so far (2 and a half month old) is Gap. It just fits her so well. I have the Hanna Andersson catalog and have tons of things circled because it looks wonderful, so I think I may end up liking that. I also like the babystyle brand basics. Good size and quality.

thorsmom
09-08-2002, 11:39 PM
My son has a lot of Catimini, Miniman, New Potatos, Le Top etc... Do you have a Nordstrom Rack. I've found incredible deals there for baby clothes often under $10.00. You have to keep track of when the merchandise gets delivered from the main stores but if you want to have the expensive designer brands at a great price its worth the effort.

Shirale
09-10-2002, 12:33 PM
I am a really big baby gap fan. They always have great sales and I alwasy find great clothes there. For fancier clothing, however, one great place I have found is the Off Saks stores. Amazing prices (esp their sales) for beautiful clothes (french brands, Ralph Lauren, Baby Dior).

jojo2324
09-18-2002, 08:08 PM
I just saw (and bought :) a whole bunch of Catamini and Les Bebes du Paradis at TJ Maxx...I live on the eastern end of Long Island.

sntm
09-19-2002, 11:23 AM
lucky you!! i may have to go browsing!

shannon
trying-to-conceive :)

egoldber
09-19-2002, 07:52 PM
I have recently discovered the Zutano brand of baby clothes. I LOVE them. They are so cute and soft and don't shrink. They are quite pricey (of course), but I found good deals on the clearance rack at my local Nordstroms (the one at Tysons Corner). One of my friends tells me that there is a Zutano outlet in Montpellier, VT.

HTH!

mama2be
09-19-2002, 08:10 PM
I too saw a few Catamini outfits at our local Durham NC TJ Max...they didn't have a huge selection but they had an adorable white pant outfit with a light colored "sweater" that had star like collar features coming off from the neck, and tassels off of the star points, with Penguins embroidred on it. It was adorable and I think $29.95...BUT there were no snaps on the pants...but gorgeous outfit!!!

jojo2324
09-19-2002, 09:29 PM
I LOVE Zutano....It is the softest clothing! They also make a Cozies line, which is all fleece and velour. I think that BabyCenter sells some stuff. Has anyone found a website for it that sells all of the cotton basics in a lot of different prints? I have searched high and low, but to no avail.

egoldber
09-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Try this site: http://www.theredballoon.com/clothes.html

HTH,

cara1
09-20-2002, 07:23 AM
I've seen them at a tiny little (expensive) baby boutique in Nassau County (Locust Valley, or one of those quaint little villages on the North Shore, I don't remember exactly where.)

jojo2324
09-20-2002, 08:46 AM
I actually have that site bookmarked, lol. That is just a little selection of what they have; there are so many more prints. Was the store called the Monogram Shop?

sntm
09-20-2002, 08:47 AM
no luck. lots of little me, though. am holding out for catimini or + HPT.

shannon
trying-to-conceive :)

cara1
09-20-2002, 11:41 AM
yes, i think so.
for your bottle problem, try avent, but odds are his fussiness has nothing to do with the bottle. you can buy them online if it's too far...target is cheapest, but TRU has 15% avent coupons right now,.good luck.