PDA

View Full Version : smelly diapers?

jojo2324
07-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi all...Even though he's only two weeks old, it seems that I could change diapers in a coma I've done it so much. A couple questions:

Is it normal for diapers to smell so strongly even with only a bit of pee? We are using Huggies, and it seems like they stink with just a smidge of pee in them. Has anyone else found this to be true?

I know that it's a good sign that he's wetting and soiling diapers, but why so many? I feel like he is going through a diaper at least every two hours, if not less. Is this normal? Will the number go down eventually?

Is his poop going to change? I am breastfeeding, and for some reason I thought that it was different. Right now it's yellow, not too strong smelling, and it's kind of like beads. The reason I ask is that those little beads are hard to clean! They really adhere! :) I am going through wipes like crazy.

I know I could ask my ped all of these questions, but I trust all of you here much more. Thanks for the help, and sorry if my q's were a little graphic.

jra
07-18-2002, 10:15 AM
I mostly use Luvs, but I have used some Huggies in the past. Huggies were absolutely horrible with the smell. Like you said, a little bit wet and they reeked (plus they leaked horribly on my son). Luvs aren't quite so bad, they can get pretty wet before you really smell it.

The first month or so, every time ds ate (breastfed--every 1.5-2 hours), he would have a wet and poopy diaper. Around 2 months, he started pooping only 1-2 times a day. During his 3 month growth spurt, he didn't poop for an entire week (perfectly normal as long as he wasn't uncomfortable--especially for a breastfed baby). The yellow color and lumps are both normal too. I can't remember what the lumps are, but remember they are a good thing to see. Since I didn't go anywhere the first month or so, I used a warm wash cloth instead of wipes so cleaning was easy.

Jennifer

MichelleL
07-18-2002, 12:46 PM
>Is his poop going to change? I am breastfeeding, and for
>some reason I thought that it was different. Right now it's
>yellow, not too strong smelling, and it's kind of like
>beads. The reason I ask is that those little beads are hard
>to clean! They really adhere! :) I am going through wipes
>like crazy.
>
>I know I could ask my ped all of these questions, but I
>trust all of you here much more. Thanks for the help, and
>sorry if my q's were a little graphic.

Dear JoJo,
I just had a babycare class last night and the nurse mentioned that the poop of a breastfed baby may be watery or loose. But she made it very clear that there should be nothing hard in the diaper. If the poop is like little beads, I would go ahead and call the pediatrician just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck & let us know what your ped said! :)

Michelle L

egoldber
07-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Pooping 8-10 times a day is totally normal in a newborn. Sarah basically pooped at every feeding. The diapers also sound totally normal. The "beads" could be one of two things. First, sometimes the poops appear "seedy", which means teeny whitish mucous like pieces. Totally normal. The other possibility is that it is from the diapers.

If you look at the diaper package it will say something like "occasionally small pieces of the silica gel from inside the diaper may migrate to the top and appear as small pellets. This is normal and will not harm your baby yah-dah yah-dah..." I had this happen once with a package of diapers. The whole package pretty much did that, but I have never noticed it before or since. This is probably what is happening.

The poops will slow down. Probably around 12 weeks or so they start to taper off. After this, some babies may go days or up to a week without pooping! Sarah never did this, but several of my friends babies did and the moms were almost hysterical until they pooped (even though the ped said all was fine!). My ped calls it the "7 and 7" rule for newborns. Which means they can poop 7 times a day or once every 7 days, both are normal and neither is a problem. Small comfort to the anxious new mom!

HTH,

Melanie
07-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Huggies left gel beads on my son, could that be what you see? BF baby poops are seedy, but beads sound odd. We use pampers, but you can smell with that sometimes, too, b/c of their scent. I really liked Target for the first few months, but now Ds is pretty "squishy" so I get the pampers with stretchy sides for a good fit without making them too tight.

At first he was always pooping, sometimes in the middle of a feed. It will definitely slow down. I can't say that I recall exactly when, but I remember worrying around 4 months when it was 5 days! Now it's every other day or so. Someone told me when they go on baby food it can go back to several times a day.

A nurse told me that for a BF baby any color but white or black is normal.

Mommy to Jonah

jojo2324
07-18-2002, 02:40 PM
It's a good thing I just went to BJs and bought 230 Huggies then, huh? :) My poor DH, he's so worried...he doesn't want our little boy to stink! As for the poop, I know that the diaper can release little silica gel beads, but this is definitely the poop. It just seems a bit curdled. Maybe that's a better word than beads. OK, have to run and feed...and I'm sure change a diaper! thanks!

luvbeinmama
07-18-2002, 04:35 PM
I really don't remember any smell with the pee, but then it's been over 2 years. I did use the Huggies and much preferred them at that stage to Pampers, which didn't fold down well around the belly button and always seemed to leave the silica gel on my son. The poop seeming a bit curdled sounds totally normal. I think "they" say the average newborn goes through 10-12 diapers daily, though I think my son averaged about 9. I think it equates to a poop for each feeding. And it does slow down later. I know it seems like all you do all day is nurse & change diapers at this point. But I really enjoyed the times when he'd fall asleep on my chest, and I'd just hold him for a while like that. I miss that.

Rachels
07-19-2002, 07:31 AM
You're probably seeing milk curds-- totally normal.