PDA

View Full Version : Diaper craziness!!

jojo2324
07-31-2002, 08:09 AM
What is the deal? DS is maybe 12 lbs, but I'm guessing that he has outgrown Huggies size 1-2 (at BJs). They're supposed to fit up to 15 lbs! Maybe we need a crash course in diaper changing (funny, I thought the first week was just that:) but he constantly wets through his clothes and now he is millimeters away from a blow-out. We just bought 228 diapers...he is only a month old. He outgrew the newborn size at a week old. I am really quite frustrated because we have about 200 unused diapers and really can't afford to go out and buy a whole new size. Is this the experience of others? Off to get size 2s!

ps...what's the difference between huggies supertrim and huggies supreme?

jra
07-31-2002, 09:07 AM
I think the weight listed are just for general guidelines. My son never made it even close to the top weight on the packages before blowouts would occur and I would have to go up a size. Of course, any Huggies I used on him always leaked--they just didn't fit him well. You might want to try other kinds to see if that helps as well.

I only used 1 small package of newborn diapers. I only had them until his cord stump fell of and then we moved on to size 1.

I'm not familiar with BJs, but if the diapers are unopened, can you take them back and exchange them? I've done that at stores around here without any problems (even without a receipt). Otherwise, you can probably get some of your money back by putting them out on ebay.

I forgot one more thing. Make sure he is pointed down. It helps stop leaking.

Jennifer

Samantha
07-31-2002, 09:08 AM
My son has always outgrown diapers before the weight on the package, but I have friends that the opposite is true. I think it's a guideline, but really depends on the individual child. I have diapers in every size put away for the next baby. You can always donate them to domestic violence shelters and the like.

Sam

twins r fun
07-31-2002, 11:22 AM
So far my sons have been outgrowing the diapers 2-3 pounds before they "should". We always buy the Huggies ultratrim from BJs, but while on vacation bought a pack of Huggies Supreme. I really liked them, but not enough to pay the extra money on a regular basis. The outer cover is softer, the diaper is thicker, and they have this adorable Winnie the Pooh picture on the butt which looks great as your child crawls away from you! Nice diaper, but I can't justify paying more for something that ends up in the trash.

Nicole

suzska
07-31-2002, 12:10 PM
Well, we were in NB's for a loooonnnggg time. I started buying the Target ones at some point, but went back to Huggies or Pampers once he hit Size 1. DH doesn't like the way Pampers smell (powdery scent), so we stick pretty much with the Huggies. I like the Supreme better, and paid the higher prices for a while--although I would try to buy them onsale and with a coupon. Now I've decided to try the Target ones again and some other store brands. I got a package of White Cloud ones from Wal-Mart last week. Evan got a bad diaper rash on Sunday (that still hasn't cleared up). I don't know if the diapers are to blame, but I'm back to the Huggies Supremes. We never had any real problems with leakage or blow outs. Don't stock up on any one size/brand until you have a good idea of what will work for you--buying the Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega pack isn't a bargain if the diapers don't work. Once I think Evan is getting close to the next size, I'll start stocking up on the bigger size. He's in 4's right now, but I don't think we'll be moving on to 5's any time soon.

The only diapers I really hated were the BRU brand, but luckily I only spent $5-$10 on them when we were still using newborns.

luvbeinmama
08-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Like someone else said, if they are still in the package and unopened you can exchange the diapers for the larger size. I've never had any store not do that.

DS always went up a size when he hit the LOWEST weight for the next size up. He never lasted until the upper weight. I used about 4 packages of NB on him, then moved to 1's then 1-2's, but it's been so long I don't remember how long he was in the 1's & 1-2's.

With the Huggies, the supertrim is less expensive, and worked great for us through size 3. I tried the Huggies Supreme once or twice, but found they didn't absorb any more, and, once, I got the tip of DS's penis stuck between the elastic bands on the legs... pee everywhere!! LOL!!! After that I made sure I knew where that thing was pointed!!! Size 4 & up I found Pampers worked best. Don't know why the change at that point, maybe he ended up being thinner. My SIL always had to use Pampers on her son as the Huggies were just way too wide for him (a really lanky boy). I do like the way the Pampers "supreme" fits, but I don't buy them without coupon + sale.

Don't know if this helped! Good Luck!

jojo2324
08-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks...of course at 4am blow-out occurs...I thought we were in the midst of a major weather catastrophe. I had been to store last night and bought some size 2s in pampers rash care and huggies supreme (w/coupons...interestingly, no price difference between those and the swaddlers or ultratrim), but didn't have them upstairs with us. So I'm trotting through the house trying to find these diapers and knocking stuff over. Back to our room to see DH pretty much sleeping while DS is screaming, DH mumbling shh, it's okay to which I scream of course it's not ok, he's not going to be quiet, he's got @$*& all up his back, can you please do something! (have not yet eradicated all expletives from my vocab, especially at 4am) And DS is so sweet and smiley and cooing while I am trying to scrape this poop off of his back...It's all worth it in the end :)

Thanks for all your input. BJs sells diapers in big boxes with smaller bags of them inside. I've already opened the box. I guess I'll have to use those for the next one.

luvbeinmama
08-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Yeah, there's no price difference PER PACKAGE!!! But look at the number of diapers you are getting for your money. There are fewer diapers in the "supreme" lines of any diaper brand. The new Pampers Swaddlers, etc. are replacing their "supreme" line and are the same thing with a different name as far as I can tell. The Baby Dry is the same as the Ultratrim in Huggies... the lower priced, but very effective diapers that most moms buy.

laura_winckler
08-05-2002, 07:22 PM
I always found that we outgrew a diaper size when we reached the minimum weight for the NEXT size up, which is smaller than the maximum weight on your current size. Does that make sense?

As for your big box of too small diapers, pass them on to a friend who is expecting or has a younger baby. I got a huge package of size 1's from a friend that way and it was much appreciated!

joodyjr
08-05-2002, 09:20 PM
My son too outgrows his diapers before he reaches the max weight. Also, we just never had luck with Huggies. I tried them when he was an infant and tried them just recently (he's almost 2 now). They still don't hold water, literally, to Pampers. I couldn't even get him through a naptime with Huggies. However, I do have good luck with their Huggies Overnights. But otherwise we will stick with old faithful, Pampers.

Melanie
09-13-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm calling ALL OVER TOWN, no one has these!

Thanks...

Mommy to Jonah who has a bad antiobiotic-induced rash

egoldber
09-13-2002, 09:52 PM
I have seen these occasionally at my local CVS. I don't really remember seeing them anywhere else. You might try cvs.com as well.

HTH,

jojo2324
09-13-2002, 10:33 PM
I got them at my local grocery store, Waldbaums. I live on the eastern end of Long Island, NY. I did a search online and can't find any for sale. Sorry :(

Melanie
09-14-2002, 02:21 PM
I live in SoCal, and the nearest CVS is too far. I found them at Albertsons (grocery store). They had two packs which they held for me. Probably overkill, but since Pampers doesn't even have them on their website, I thought I'd keep an extra for future. Ds is at the bottom of their weight range.

The lady on the phone asked, "don't you want to know how much they are?" I said, "You are the only store in town who has them. It doesn't matter!"

Mommy to Jonah

brubeck
09-16-2002, 08:32 PM
I've seen them occasionally at Babies R Us. Of course they are very bad about keeping all sizes/brands of diapers in stock (they always seem to be out of the exact combination of diaper size, package size and brand I need) so call first. I also got a pack at Albertsons the one time I needed them.

The good news is that generally you only need one pack at a time. Use them throughout the bad diaper rash, then use the extras for nighttime (when pee will sit longer against the skin) until the bag is done.

Melanie
09-18-2002, 01:12 AM
FYI - I got a response from Pampers, they are discontinued. Now I'm really glad I bought both packages. They informed me that all their diapers have lotion now (of course the RashCare says it is diaper rash ointment, but who knows).

Mommy to Jonah