PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming outfit?

Naty
08-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Hi all,
I know it's early for this question, but I was wondering what type of outfit did you dress your baby in to take him/her home from the hospital. Is the outfit usually a fancy or special one? My baby will be born in early March 03 which technically still is winter here in Northern Virginia. What outfits do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Rachels
08-07-2002, 07:21 AM
I brought my baby home in a gown and booties (Carter's makes adorable versions of both)and tucked a blanket around her in her carseat. If it's still chilly, you might prefer something that snaps around the legs. You should steer clear of tight onesies or crotch-snap t-shirts at first, to avoid putting pressure on your baby's cord. As far as whether the outfit is special, it's entirely up to you. Picking a beautiful-- but cozy-- outfit beforehand gave me something concrete to think about when I imagined carrying my newborn home. You're in for a treat!
-Rachel

daisymommy
08-07-2002, 12:16 PM
How was it getting the carseat strap snapped between her legs with the gown on? I have several adorable Carter's gowns that I would love to bring my DS home in, but I figured I couldn't get him strapped into his carseat. I'm going with a light weight one-piece footed sleeper (pastel Winnie the Pooh) with a matching cap that has little ears sticking up on it (too-cute!) It's hot here in northern Virginia, but everyone always says babies like to be warm. Does anyone think he will he be too warm? or just right?

egoldber
08-07-2002, 03:12 PM
With weather like we've had lately, that should be fine without a blanket. You will probably want to put a hat on your newborn for the first week or so, even when it is warm. But my ped said after that it wasn't necessary. He says that people tend to REALLY overdress babies and that they generally only need one layer more than you do, if that. It is just as dangerous to overdress a newborn as it is to underdress them while they are still trying to figure out how to regulate their body tenperatures.

It was actually kind of cool last year on August 17th (the day we brought Sarah home from the hospital). I had her dressed in a "ducky" onesie and matching hat (it was HUGE on her), and used a light blanket to put over her in the carseat.

Baby can wear a gown in the carseat, but you have to pull it up above their hips to buckle them in properly.

Rachels
08-07-2002, 05:24 PM
It was no problem buckling her in with the gown on. Newborn babies tend to keep their little legs all scrunched up, so pulling the gown over the hips doesn't actually affect them much. It was a little chilly when we brought her home, so I had a blanket tucked in around her over the carseat straps. And yes, she did need a hat at first, even when it warmed up. By two weeks old, she seemed more able to stay warm enough without it.

daisymommy
08-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Hey thanks for the reply Beth! Nice to have an opinion from someone in the area who knows the weather! I packed the Pooh jammies and as an alternate "cooler" outfit (in case it's really hot), I packed a Carter's ducky onesie/creeper! Funny! It's blue with little yellow ducks on it, and I have the matching socks and hat (along with a dozen other coordinates of the same style, as I fell in ove with this line...:D ) Hope you and Sarah are doing well. Enjoy her first birthday!

newbelly2002
08-08-2002, 12:32 PM
I second the idea that the baby will more than likely be swimming in whatever you choose. I brought home DS last week (down here in middle Virginia) and he was 5 lbs. 13 oz when he left--the special outfit had to be scrapped in lieu of a T-shirt and diaper just so I could keep his head out of the clothing! If you're set on having your baby wear an outfit, you might want to consider having a back-up preemie outfit in case he/she is a little one.

Paula

Melanie
08-11-2002, 04:59 PM
I suggest packing 2 or 3 outfits. Maybe a gown, onesie, & sleeper (booties, blanket & hat, too of course). We put our son in his smallest sleeper for homecoming, and he still swam in it. It was for up to 10 lbs. and he was born at 7lbs 8oz. For the first couple of weeks everything long-sleeved had to be rolled up.

Mommy to Jonah

suzska
08-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I had a little Pooh Bear two-piece fleece outfit. I bought it at Target--yes, it was the first thing I bought, and I paid full-price (that didn't happen much more ;-) ). I put a little yellow t-shirt (over-the-head, not crotch-snap) on underneath. Even though it was newborn size, Evan was "swimming in it." He was 7 lbs 1 oz at birth. But if you have a 10 pound baby, things would fit differently. :-) Here's Evan's picture.

P.S. I live outside of Pittsburgh, and it was still a little chilly when Evan was born, but it was pretty nice the day we went home, so I don't think I wrapped him in anything else--just put his cap on his head.

PJAlama
09-02-2003, 06:41 AM
I would like similar advice, but my baby is due quite soon (today marks 38 weeks), I am fairly sure he will be larger than average, and we're talking about NJ in September, which is an iffy month -- maybe fall, but maybe still summer -- in a car with no air conditioning. I'd been told I'd need something with separate legs, in order to accommodate the car seat, so it threw me for a loop to find out that I couldn't use one of the many snap-at-the-crotch onesies people had so thoughtfully given for shower gifts. I'm not sure if a sleeper will be too heavy. Should I be looking for pants and a shirt? I don't have much time to shop. At the hospital tour, they confidently described the multilayer outfit they thought our babies would need on the way home, "because after all, they'll be going from an air-conditioned hospital to an air-conditioned car." They ignored my husband & me saying simultaneously, "Our baby won't!"

Thanks,
Pauline

JElaineB
09-02-2003, 08:31 AM
There's no reason you can't use a snap at the crotch onsie on a newborn. That is what my hospital puts babies in from day one. As long as it isn't really tight (and a 0-3 month size should not be too tight, even if you have a big baby) there won't be any problem with the umbilical cord. I would think a onsie and a cotton sleeper with feet will be fine for September in NJ. I took my son home Sept 30 last year on a weirdly hot day and he was fine in that outfit. He was actually in a preemie outfit that my husband had to run out and buy because DS was born small. I would not put a shirt and pants on a newborn. Too hard to put on and the pants would be more likely to irritate the umbilical cord than a onsie and/or sleeper.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

amp
09-02-2003, 10:22 AM
You can put your baby in pretty much anything you want to. It can be *special* to you and not be an extravagent outfit. We brought 2 outfits to the hospital and were glad we did since DS peed on the first one. We ended up bringing him home in a Carters sleeper we brought as a backup. Certainly not a fancy outfit, but he was adorable!

mommyj
09-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Some of the moms on these boards suggested buying a preemie outfit if you want one that fits. I bought 2 outfits, one newborn and one preemie, and ended up having ds wear the preemie outfit. He was 6 lbs 12 oz and 20 inches long, but the newborn outfit was HUGE on him. I was gald we had an outfit that fit because we got really cute pictures.
I think the Gap carries some preemie outfits, so it might be worth taking a look. You can always return the preemie outfit if your baby is big and you end up not using it. Or, what I did was to look at some smaller shops that sold new and used baby clothes. The outfits I bought were brand new w/their original tags and I got $30 outfits for $7.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

mamagoosie
09-03-2003, 08:18 AM
For something special, I would consider a sleeper from Janie & Jack - their stuff is newborn-soft and totally adorable. They have some really cute velour sleepers that are a little warmer. They are full price right now, but they will go on sale before you'll need them. I second the suggestion to buy both preemie and 0-3. Our dd was 6 lbs, 6 oz and wore preemie stuff for the first 3 weeks. Good luck.

starrynight
09-04-2003, 09:49 AM
If your hospital takes portraits or you yourself will be taking pictures you might want something a bit nicer. The hospital where my son was born took portraits so I got him a nice one piece outfit that snapped in the legs from carter's in 0-3 month size. It was November in new england so I also had a hat, and bunting. Although that day was unseasonably warm... Anyway with my daughter, they didn't take portraits but I didn't know that at first so I brought her a nice once piece little me outfit again that snapped in the legs but also up the back (those are a pita and would never do that again LOL) a cap and light bunting, it was February in Georgia so not terribly cold. This time around I'm due in October again in GA, could be cold could be hot. So I bought a lightweight one piece from Macy's that has feet and snaps up the front and I will pack a cap and that's it. I will bring a light blanket and bunting just in case but I don't think she will need it. So basically after all my rambling I suggest bring a warm outfit and a cooler back up because you are unsure of how the weather will be or wait until the last minute to buy something because you will know if it's warmed up or not. Good luck finding something adorable :).

Tondi G
09-06-2003, 06:32 PM
One word of advise... buy a few preemie outfits!!!! we bought the cutest little sleeper blue and green striped from Old navy with a matching hat... all in size 0-3 months.... the hat was tremendous and he SWAM in the outfit! Even the tiny little newborn socks seemed big on him..... he was 6lbs 10 ounces at birth!

If it will be chilly I would get something long sleeved preferrably with legs.... with or without feet... you can always put on some socks! I went with all the recommendations and brought along those side snap shirts etc..... DS basically went into a snap crotch onesie when we got home from the hospital..... in fact that was all he wore for about a month..... it was HOT here in July in Los Angeles.... it never seemed to bother his umbilical stump and all of the onsies were big on him anyways! And we didn't have any trouble getting things on over his head! I would just say to find something in the preemie or newborn size that is a nice warm SOFT comfortable cotton!!!! They are expensive but we got a few petit bateau onsies and they were so nice and soft I wished everything he wore was like them!!!! Our outfit wasn't fancy at all but it was the first thing we bought when we found out we were preggo so it had some special meaning to us! Just buy something SMALL.... when you look at it and it seems tiny... go for the smaller size! You live and you learn... at least we will know for #2!!!!! LOL! I am sure Baby Gap has some great going home preemie or newborn outfits!

Good Luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

cchavez
09-07-2003, 01:15 PM
I too want to suggest getting a preemie outfit. DS came home in an adorable sweet pea outfit from Gymboree but he did swim in it! He weighed 7 lbs at birth but lost 10% in the hospital. We did get some great pics and since it is a gender neutral outfit #2 (if there is a #2) can wear it home too even if we have a girl.