PDA

View Full Version : do I need to take a baby care class?

jojo2324
08-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Well, I feel like I do. I know that the general rule is that once the diapers start leaking and you're dealing with blow-outs, move up a size. My one month old (13 lbs) is in Huggies size 3 (16-28 lbs). They leak CONSTANTLY. But so do Pampers. We don't live close enough to a BRU or TRU to try their brands out (we don't really have time for such excursions, especially now that he's REALLY discovered his lungs:), and I'm not sure of the quality of CVS brand or Waldbaum's.

My feeling is I am unable to diaper a baby because he leaks the same way every time: always on his right side, either a little splotch on his tummy or all up his back. I guess maybe I am not fastening the sides tight enough, but it always seems like it's very tight against his stomach, even though I can get one finger between him and the diaper. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? And I change him pretty much as soon as I notice he's wet. He doesn't sit in one diaper for more than 2-3 hours (during the day).

How are Luvs?
thanks! joanne

laura_winckler
08-11-2002, 12:51 PM
A few things to check: are you pointing him down inside his diaper? It's possible that your diapers are too big; are you seeing gaps around his legs, for example? Also, you might try Walmart/Sam's Club brand. We switched to Smiles diapers because we were having constant leaks with Huggies and Pampers. We have since switched back to Huggies because they have changed the Smiles diapers and I don't like them as well anymore.

I know how frustrating this can be!! Keep trying different brands to see what works for you.

Melanie
08-11-2002, 02:28 PM
I second the suggestion to make sure which way he's pointing...when the diaper is on, put your finger around the bottom of the leg hole to make sure there's not a lot of space..and also suggest Target Brand Diapers...They are in a beige package, I forget the name. We liked them alot until our baby got bigger. We actually never had a problem with them, we just prefer the bigger stretchy sides of Pampers now they he crawls.

Mommy to Jonah

jojo2324
08-11-2002, 02:50 PM
I forgot to include that I do point him down. I think that there is too much space around his legs, but I can't make the gap smaller without cinching his tummy. We got the Huggies size 3s at BJs, a jumbo box, but they don't make a size 2, only a 1-2. At the same time I am not willing to spend $25/week on diapers when I can spend $30 and get 3 weeks worth!

will try target too, i guess. another excusion trip.

jra
08-11-2002, 07:04 PM
My son leaked in every Huggies I put on him. I tried luvs. I haven't had many leaks since--only when it was time to move up a size.

Jennifer

rebekah
08-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Hello ladies! I am 35 weeks pregnant and have no idea what "pointing him down" means. Can someone explain what that means? I'm quite confused :P

Zansu
08-12-2002, 01:07 PM
The Target brand is called Loving Touch. DS, who is 17lbs, 27inches, has done very well with these.

We've also tried Huggies, and didn't like them at all.

jra
08-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Pointing him down means making sure his penis is pointing towards his feet instead of his tummy. It helps make sure the pee goes into the diaper and not over the top.

Jennifer

newbelly2002
08-13-2002, 07:43 AM
I've been struggling with the same "leakage" issue (Didn't realize about "pointing him down"--I come from a family of girls and it never occured to me. Oops!) with every diaper. Since DS is small--just 6 lbs--we've been unhappily using the Pampers Swaddlers; they seem to be the only brand to have newborn sizes.

Are there others and where can we find them? We don't have a BRU or a Target in the area.

Thanks!

Paula
Mom to Dante 8/1/02

jojo2324
08-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Huggies has the NB size too. I've decided to use Huggies during the day, Pampers by night; they seem to hold more. We're heading up to TRU today so we'll pick up a small pack of those and see how they work.

laura_winckler
08-13-2002, 09:28 PM
I think that there is a Huggies size 2, but not at the discount stores in the huge boxes. I found the 1-2 size to be essentially the same as a size 1. We tried to move up to them from a size 1 and they weren't big enough. That may be the reason we switched to Smiles for a while, now that I think about it.

Melanie
08-14-2002, 01:00 PM
(I love your baby's name)

We went through many NB brands until we found Loving Touch(Target-sorry).
I believe Huggies, Pampers Swaddlers & Baby Dry, White Cloud(Wal-Mart). I *think* also the brand at BRU. Search the internet for these brands' websites and you will usually find the available sizes and you can ask them what stores in your zip code carry them.

Good Luck & Congratulations!

Mommy to Jonah

cara1
08-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Try LUVS. Waldbaum's sells them for same price as Huggies would be at wholesale club, and my son has had fewer leaks.