PDA

View Full Version : Shoes, shoes, shoes

AugBaby
08-13-2002, 08:49 PM
DD is a year old and only recently started to take a few steps on her own. We've kept her barefoot most of the time, and now we're looking to purchase her first real pair of walking shoes. Today we took her to Stride Rite and had her walk around in a pair. She sort of stomped around and dragged her feet. A friend's dd of the same age has been in a pair of Stride Rite all summer and walks the same way. I had just thought it was her style of walking. Now we're a little unsure how to proceed. I looked at the Robeez on line, and they seem to be a totally different approach to shoes than Stride Rite. What are your experiences with the first pairs of real "walking" shoes? Stride Rite did have a pair of lighter shoes that the salesperson said were meant for children who really can't walk, just pull up. Unfortunately, they were out of them so we couldn't try them. Did our friend's daughter go into the shoes too early and that's why she never adjusted to the soles? Thanks!

MinnieMouse
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
My dd was an early walker at 9months and goes to day care so she needed something on her feet.

We LOVED the Robeez that we got her. The bonus with them (and you will discover this soon enough) is that she CANNOT get them off! Every other pair of shoes we've bought her come off in an instant! Over the summer (she turned 1yr in July) we have switched back and forth between sandals (from Payless and Target) and her Robeez. We have found that she does "stomp" a bit in the sandals...especially on harder floors..but she walks equally well in both styles of shoes.

I still believe the best way for her to walk is just bare feet (which the Robeez are closer to) and we only put shoes on her if she is going to day care or we are going out.

Christine

AugBaby
08-14-2002, 12:17 PM
This may sound stupid, but I am a first-time mom :-), do the Robeez provide enough protection for the soles of her feet? Also, do you eventually switch out of the Robeez to a Stride Rite-type shoe, or stay with Robeez for awhile? I'm just confused by what seems to be such a difference in the style of the two brands.

Thanks for your input!

Melanie
08-14-2002, 01:05 PM
I believe it's really a different philosophy. Do you believe barefoot is best or supportive-soles? Here's some info on the barefoot philosophy, plus tips for finding the correct shoes: http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/swc5.htm

Ds still has smaller feet, so I buy the soft pre-walker type shoes for him, but he mostly wears socks with grips on the bottom. (He only walks assisted) I think I will buy Robeez/Shoo B/Buskins (I'm not sure which) for him when he starts to walk outside.

Mommy to Jonah

mary b
08-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Hi, I was having the same debate as you. My daughter started walking with assistance at 10 months and now at 11 months can take several steps by self. We bought her the "first pair of walkers" from stride rite for $40 a month ago and have been very happy with them. The shoe/no-shoe debate I am finding is almost as big a topic as strollers/foods etc. So far, I am happy with these shoes. Before, we kept her barefoot all the time as she would just take off the cheapie sandals I had her in . When she was walking barefoot, she was on her tiptoes, which I read isn't good for their feet. Now I always keep her in the Stride Rites if we go out and then kinda do 1/2 and 1/2 at home. She deosn't fuss much with her shoes and they appear to be helping her. I haven't tried the Robeez kind but I will probably keep her in Stride Rites until she is 100% walking then try and switch her to Target brand Stride Rites since I can't afford $40 every 3 months.
Good luck,
Mary

emmiem
08-15-2002, 08:39 AM
I only used Robeez shoes before she was walking unassisted. They are similar to ballet shoes which you would never wear on concrete or asphalt because they would not last long! If you look at the Robeez website, they actually call them slippers for the bigger sizes. My baby who is 17 months old used to stomp around in Stride Rites. As she has gotten better at walking, the stomping has gone away. By the way, the Stride Rites at Target only come in one width and whole sizes and they run wide as a rule. So they do not offer the best fit. I'm a former shoe buyer for retail stores so I tend to do my research!

MinnieMouse
08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Beth wears her Robeez everywhere. Sidewalks, grass...doesn't matter. The only thing we watch for is when it's wet...they wouldn't work well then. We've had them for the entire spring and summer (we bought them a little big) and they still look great.

We switch back and forth interchangably and beth loves both kinds of shoes and walks well in either.

Christine

ct
08-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Actually, I have bought the Target Stride Rites (KidSmart I believe they are called) and have them in a 1/2 size, so some styles must come in halves. I did have to go to 3 Targets to find the size I was looking for though as they have a very limited selection. They are great shoes, especially for the price. I actually bought the KidSmart leather sandals over the Stride Rites because I thought the Stride Rites were too stiff and not as cushioned on the inside. HTH

ct

luvbeinmama
08-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Mary,
Look for a Stride Rite Outlet in your area, the shoes at the outlet are about 1/2 price!! (I can't afford $40 shoes all the time either)

mary b
08-19-2002, 08:06 AM
Thanks so much, I just found out that there is a brand new Stride Rite outlet about 1 hour away from us. I am so excited!

myllam
08-29-2002, 12:06 AM
Hi,

Has anyone else tried padders soft shoes? (www.padders.com) I had purchased some at TJ Maxx for $4.99 to use until I found decent shoes for my DS who is 1 year old and learning to walk. The ones I bought have suede bottoms and leather tops. My pediatrician had recommended flexible soft shoes to start with, no need to go for super expensive shoes.

I was surprised when I went to the local kid shoe store yesterday (they stock Robeez and Stride Rite) and was told that I should hold off buying stride rites until he could truely walk. (barefoot was best). When I told her that he needed them for daycare since they spend a lot of time in the park and he always insists on walking everywhere with assistance, she then pointed to the Robeez and said I could buy those, but basically the Padders he was wearing were similar enough to the Robeez that she felt it wasn't worth the added expense.

It was refreshing to go into a store and be told not to buy anything yet :-), but I'm also pleased that the "temporary" shoes ended up being the right shoes for my DS. I'm not sure if the padders would last as long as the other brands of soft shoes, but then he'll probably outgrow them before he wears them out.

Monica
Mom to 1 year old Brian - 8/12/2001