PDA

View Full Version : Looking for attractive clothing for baby boy

genevieve
09-11-2002, 05:45 AM
I'm very disappointed in the selection of clothing for baby boys. My son is 7 months old, 29" long and 20 lbs. He has long outgrown the newborn clothes and is now into the 18 month sizes. I'm finding it very difficult to find attractive clothing. The colors seem to be limited to navy blue, red, grey, an ugly yellow and orange. The clothing manufacturers also seem intent on making boys clothing with a sports theme. I'm not particularly fond of sports... I also find that I like the shirts that snap on the bottom like a onsie. A rebular shirt seems to bunch under his arms all the time. I like some of the Gap clothes. However, they don't seem to make many of the onsie style shirts. Does anyone out there know of a manufacturer who is a bit more imaginative in their designs and colors?

Genevieve

egoldber
09-11-2002, 06:48 AM
I love the Hanna Andersson clothes. I have a few hand me down outfits that were boys outfits originally that I put on Sarah anyway because the colors are so fun. But their clothes are quite pricey. They have snap onesies up to 24 months.

Lands End has many clothes that are very nice as well. (Some that are quite "Hanna-like"). They are not quite as expensive as Hanna, and have good clearance specials on their website. They also have snap onesies up to 24 month sizes.

There is an upscale line of clothes called CachCach that one of my friends with boys loves. They have wonderful clothes that are very adorable. I have seen these at BuyBuyBaby stores if you have one nearby.

I also have great luck at Lord&Taylor. I just got an outfit there for a friend's baby boy. I think they have a lot of great boy clothes.

HTH,

suzska
09-11-2002, 07:17 AM
I agree about the Lands' End stuff. My mom bought a bunch of stuff from the overstocks section for Christmas last year. I liked the one sweater so much, I bought another a few months ago for this year, in a different color.

I'm also not fond of sports themes, but I've bought a few--I tend towards the soccer and baseball ones, and try to avoid the basketball ones. Although I call Evan my "March Madness" baby, I'm not a basketball fan.

Usually I just buy stuff from Target and Wal-Mart since I don't get to the mall too often. But I've had pretty good luck at Sears and Penneys. Yes, most of the stuff is blue and gray, but sometimes I find something different. I've found a few turtlenecks at KidsRUs that snap on the bottom. And an OshKosh shirt with football bears that snaps on the bottom. I know, football. There are also a lot of "transportation" themed clothes, but since Evan is obsessed with cars right now, I don't mind so much.

A week or two ago I was at Gymboree when they were having their GymBucks promotion. I had trouble NOT buying stuff. I couldn't decide what to leave on the rack everything was so "cute." I bought two of the shirts that snap on the bottom in 18-24 months size. One is blue/gray/yellow stripes, the other is a nice brick red with navy/gold. The second one does have a small football helmet on the sleeve. :-( I didn't notice that until I brought it home. Oh, well. I still really like the colors. I also got a sweater vest in the same colors for next year. I got $120 worth of clothes for under $60, plus $25 in GymBucks to use next month off $50 more.

twins r fun
09-11-2002, 08:46 AM
I totally agree with you! I won't buy anything with a sports theme and that really limits the choices. I've had good luck at Carter's (outlet)-they do lots of animals and transportation, less sports. Some of their colors are a little drab, but I actually like the reds, greens, navy, etc-I hated baby blue! For winter I've bought several overalls from Osh Kosh (denim and different colors) and they look great on. Osh Kosh and Carters are also pretty good for shirts that snap at the crotch. I also prefer these, but since they're harder to find and usually pretty thin, I'm going to try putting a onesie under regular shirts or sweatshirts during the winter in hopes that the layers will stick a little and the outer shirt won't be riding up all the time. If you don't have an outlet center near you, most depatment stores sell Osh Kosh and Carter's. Good luck!

Someone whose got a boy and girl tell us-is it easier and more enjoyable to shop for a girl!?

Nicole

schums
09-11-2002, 12:13 PM
If you have a Parisian near you, try them. They have GREAT boys clothes, and the sales are wonderful. I got some stuff that was marked 25% off that had been moved to a "take an additional 60% off the lowest price" sign. They almost had to pay me to take the stuff!!

I'd look at Good Lad of Philadelpia clothes if you're looking for cutie boy stuff. Only problem is that the shirts don't snap. But you can buy an elastic "belt" at BRU that clips to both sides of the shirt and connects under the crotch to help keep the shirts down.

Sarah

brubeck
09-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Land's End has the cutest rugby rompers and onesie polo shirts. They're a little expensive but ultra cool. Old Navy has similar stuff but is much more limited in color selection, so you might be stuck with the usual. Often when you get rugby stuff it is assumed that it looks boyish enough that you don't get sporst themes.

I have found stuff at Mervyn's that has transportation themes (cars, boats, trains, planes) for boys.

I also second the Carter's Outlet stores. They have a nice selection of stuff, although I seem to recall that most is blue.

laura_winckler
09-11-2002, 04:36 PM
I think that you are really just stuck with this! Have you noticed how the section of boys clothes is like half the size of the girls' side of the store?? Once you get to 18 months, there are very few shirts that snap under the crotch anymore, although I got some at Old Navy at that age. You can try the stretchy thing from BRU that someone else mentioned, but I never liked it very much. I also try to avoid sports clothes, which leaves transportation themes, stripes and solids. I'm not sure that monster trucks thrill me much more than baseballs! The selection gets worse once you move up to toddler sizes.

We shop mostly at Carter's, Osh Gosh, and Old Navy. I find the Gap and Land's End to be a bit pricey for everyday clothes. Frankly, my DS's closet is full of blue and red striped shirts, solid red, solid blue, solid green shirts. I try to avoid yellow and orange (he's a blue eyed, fair skinned blond). There just aren't many choices, esp. once you move out of "baby" sizes. Don't these clothing manufacturers realize they are really marketing these clothes to the women . . . the same women who eagerly snap up the adorable girl outfits!

Anyway, just my two cents! I'm always annoyed by this issue!
Laura
SAHM to Eric (9/5/00) and Robin (9/3/02)

jojo2324
09-11-2002, 10:26 PM
I used to work in a baby clothing store and can honestly say that they just don't make that much! And the girls stuff is so much cuter. People would always complain about the lack of choice. The options are sports stuff, baby blue smocked stuff, trucks, or what I called the Abercrombie look.

I just went to Old Navy and was so disappointed to see the difference between the boys' section and the girls'. All the boys had were jeans and flag tees. I did get him several turtlenecks that snap at the crotch. Then I went to Carter's and went CRAZY. The stuff there was so cute. They had a cute dragon/castle line in grey and green. I prefer stuff with small animal prints, darker colors; a lot of European companies make stuff like this. Some of it gets a little funky though. I just discovered Off-5th, a Saks 5th Ave outlet, and they had a lot of that kind of clothing for cheap! Brands that I've found so far that I like for boys: Catamini, Petit Bateau, Pepper Toes, Carter's, Baby Rhino, some Old Navy. They're good for socks and basics. Of course, I can only really afford Old Navy. It's so funny how my need to shop for myself has just been transferred to my son. The sacrifices a mother will make! :)

genevieve
09-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I'm glad to know that it is not just me that has all this problem. I will give some of those stores a try. I do like some of the Hanna Andersson, but haven't tried it yet due to the prices. I have heard it is very durable and can be handed down. I have had some luck at Gymboree and found a few things that were cute.

I guess I will just have to go on a shopping spree, I have a Parisian, a Saks Off 5th discount store as well as a Carter's outlet in the area.

As for girls clothes, my daycare provider complains that they are trying to make little girls clothing miniatures of adult clothing. She finds many of the clothing to be far too sexy for a child. She was infuriated when she found out that Abercrombie and Fitch is making thong panties for little girls so that they could fashionably show them off with their hip huggers.

Thanks,

Genevieve

egoldber
09-12-2002, 06:36 AM
YIKES! Up through 24 month sizes, you can, of course, find very cute little girl clothes. But I have started noticing that many of the clothes 2T and up in the retail stores are a little more, hmm, adult, than I want to dress my little girl. I guess it will be more catalog shopping for us at that point.

And Hanna clothes do "age" very gracefully. I have some hand me down outfits that are pristine. I have also happened upon a few at consignment stores that were in excellent condition as well.

HTH,

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Girls' clothes are getting very risque...I think it's all about Sex and the City and Britney. It's hard to even just go to Gap and get a pair of jeans that don't have rips or leather or other bells and whistles.

I second the durability of Hanna Andersen...My mother has loads of stuff that was given to her, lots of nice striped pjs, and they have worn beautifully. No fading or other signs of age. Another place I've found is www.snipsandsnails.com for boys' stuff.

twins r fun
09-12-2002, 09:56 AM
> She was infuriated when she found out
>that Abercrombie and Fitch is making thong panties for
>little girls so that they could fashionably show them off
>with their hip huggers.
>

You've got to be kidding me! That's aweful, but what's worse is that there are actually paople who will buy them.

mspacman
09-13-2002, 12:52 AM
On the bright side (for mothers of boys), has anyone else noticed that boy's clothes are often CHEAPER than equivalent girl's clothing?? For instance, at Old Navy, the boy's shirts are often a dollar or two cheaper than shirts for girls that are no different except color and maybe a little collar bow or scalloping. I like Old Navy (they're having a huge baby sale now, and I just picked up a bunch of stuff under $3 from their clearance rack) but this pricing double standard really irks me!

mspacman
09-13-2002, 12:56 AM
Another "silver lining" for boys' moms: you won't pay later on for hair accessories and makeup! :)

laura_winckler
09-13-2002, 08:14 PM
My friend buys boys' jeans, shorts, etc. if she wants something plain. She says that they are cheaper, and it's nice to have a pair of jeans that don't have embroidery or sequins on them!

Melanie
09-14-2002, 02:24 PM
The best I have found is at Carter's. If you have one local, sign up on their mailing list and you will almost always have a 20% off coupon.

Moms of boys: Let's be glad we won't have to find non-sexy clothing for our 5 year old! The things we see for girls - ugh!

Mommy to Jonah

kathsmom
09-14-2002, 08:24 PM
I agree about the girls' clothes. They have gotten way too sexy. I have a 6 year old and was trying to find some shorts outfits for her in the size 7-16 girls section. All I found were short shorts, halter tops, cropped tops, and bikinis. I finally found a few things at Wal-Mart and Target that were appropriate for her age. I may have to start shopping for her at Lands' End and LLBean.

One suggestion for boy's clothes is Kelly's Kids. They do home parties (like Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc.). If you go to the website at www.kellyskids.com (I think that's the correct address), you can order a catalog and/or get in touch with a representative of the company. They have adorable clothes for boys and girls in a variety of colors and themes. You can even order matching sets. I saw one family in a store that had all their children matched in the coordinating outfits (2 boys and 2 girls) and it was precious! You can find some people selling their Kelly's Kids clothes on ebay (they are not cheap, unless you order at the end of the season!).

Good luck in your search!

Toni - mom the Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (edd 9/30/02)

elyen
09-28-2002, 11:17 PM
I have a 15-month old son and really like Nordstrom's Pine Peak Blues clothing. It's not cutesy, but not too "grown-up" looking either. The clothes are really well made; he's had several items since he was 6 months old, and I've been very pleased with the quality. You can often get it on sale for half price or less, and not necessarily too out of season. I just got him a long-sleeved flannel shirt for $8, and corduroys for $9.

Charlie Rocket / Mini Rocket has fun little boys' stuff too.

Of course, we also shop Gap and Old Navy.

mama2be
09-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Yeah...but just wait a few years...ever notice that our clothes, alterations, haircuts etc....are at times 3 times 4 times the cost of boys/mens...

But you can bank on the reverse for atleast a few years of life...

I raid thrift stroes and buy every denim pair ov overalls and pants with snaps and khaki shorts that I can find for my son that's 'cooking" :) For maternity clothes too, I have found some adorable things.

mama2be
09-29-2002, 02:49 PM
WE have young girls in our neighborhood wearing short shorts that have sayings across the butt...like "cheerleader" etc...I am by no means a prude but I don't know if I would want my young daughter wearing jargon across her rear end that states "look at my rear end"...

cara1
10-05-2002, 02:34 PM
I just bought a lot of really nice stuff at H&M. They have a pretty big baby and kid section. Nice colors, fabrics, and styles. Colorful, too. And pretty inexpensive. I don't yet know how they'll hold up; we'll have to see.

spa
10-23-2002, 12:36 PM
In NYC we have a store called Daffy's that sells lots of European and upscale baby clothes at discount prices (cheaper than Baby Gap!). I love Babymini/Catamini, Absorba, Cozy Toes, Alphabet, Minibasix, and Creme Caramel. Of course, we still shop at Old Navy and Baby Gap for the big sales and socks. For outerwear, I stick to online specials, like Sierra Trading Post and Baby Catalog sell ski-quality outerwear at deep discounts. I'm obsessed with bargain shopping when it comes to Elias' clothes, because I know he's going to grow out of it so quickly!

jojo2324
10-23-2002, 10:45 PM
My mother found some of the cutest stuff there for DS this summer...It was all so adorable and I don't think one thing was over ten dollars. We actually just opened a Sierra Trading Post for the first time today...All the previous ones we automatically chucked because we thought they were junk mail. Silly us! They have great stuff. And if you go online they have more than the catalog. Another good site for outerwear is www.campmor.com.