PDA

View Full Version : What works for stains????

dd_ani
09-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Arg! With the joys of solid foods come the joys of terrible stains!

What has everyone found to work best to get stains out of those cute little outfits? Or do I just live with them? (DH figured that since bunnies eat carrots, the carrot stains matched the bunny rabbit shirt... LOL)
Thanks!

Michelle

thorsmom
09-13-2002, 03:42 AM
I use Oxi Clean. It is amazing at getting out stains. You can get it at Target or if there is a Costco near you they sell the super size tub.

egoldber
09-13-2002, 07:20 AM
The things I try first are Zout (a spray) and Biz. Zout is pretty amazing. It has gotten stains out of things that have already been washed a few times.

I have not personally used Oxyclean on clothes, but it has worked a minor miracle on a coffee stain we had on some white carpet (picked out by the previous homeowner, NOT us!). I have seen Oxyclean at my local grocery stores, BedBath&Beyond and places like that as well.

As a last resort, I have tried washing items in a weak bleach solution. On items that are primarily white with some small designs this has worked for me with no garment fading. I have even tried this with color clothes as a last resort with good success. Your mileage may vary, and I wash the item by itself.

HTH,

KimberleyDawn
09-13-2002, 07:22 AM
Oxi Clean is good and you can also try the good old fashion Sunlight bar (I swore by it with my son).
Kim

Momof3Labs
09-13-2002, 09:44 AM
I also love Zout for nasty stains (pre-baby) and use Nature's Miracle a lot, also. Nature's Miracle is for pet stains and can be found at Petsmart or Petco, but it works equally well on people stains.

Haven't tried Oxyclean yet, but it is tempting!

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

APG
09-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Gonzo is a lifesaver. they sel it at bed bath and beyond, buybuy baby and home depot. OxyClean works too but is more of a project to use. Also, they make mommy's miracle, which is the same as nature's miracle. they sell mommy's miracle at bru

ct
09-13-2002, 02:18 PM
I've had better luck with Shout spray than Zout. I do spray it the night before I launder though to really let it soak in. For the very occasional stain that persists I use Oxiclean. Also, I always launder using the Heavy Duty cycle on my washer. I tried messing with the length of time of the wash cycle but found that if I didn't use the longest cycle or didn't use the Heavy Duty cycle, the stains were sometimes still there after washing (so much for trying to save electricity!). HTH - best of luck to you...

ct

laura_winckler
09-13-2002, 08:06 PM
We use OxyClean all of the time, but for stains that I'm more concerned about, I mix it up in some hot water and spray it on the stain before I toss it in the wash. That takes out every organic stain that we've come across.

suzska
09-15-2002, 09:44 AM
I haven't been able to find anyone else who has tried this:

If you read the ingredients of Totally Toddler, it's just detergent, alcohol, and "natural enzymes" (whatever those might be). So DH thought why don't we just try spraying rubbing alcohol on the formula stains. We did and it worked. I never had any trouble with stains. We just use Liquid Tide Free for all the laundry. I've also used it on food stains with pretty good success. When I think those alone might not work, I use some Shout. It use to take me an extra 10 minutes to spray all the formula spots (Evan had bad reflux until 6 months), but now I hardly have to spray anything. The only thing I never got out (and I never tried my OxyClean on it) was a mildew stain on a sleeper because it had formula on it and was left in the laundry hamper next to a damp towel.

dd_ani
09-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks, guys!!!! The oxyclean works like a charm! It even worked today on a white onesie that was the victim of diaper explosion at daycare and sat for hours before I could get to it!

Thanks again!

Michelle

ecarley
09-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Actually, it's the enzymes in Totally Toddler that do a lot of the work. Consumer Reports talked a lot about enzymes in dishwasher detergents about 6 months ago, and I assume they work the same way on clothing stains... they literally eat up the stain!

ecarley
09-21-2002, 08:03 AM
Another trick with Oxyclean as a very last resort...

Boil up a half pot of water, add a 1/4 or scoop and throw in the offending piece of clothing. Let it boil away for 5 or 10 minutes. If nothing else will get out the stain, this might. But it's a last resort because once it's gone into the boiling water, the stain is there forever. And don't overfill the pot because the water will bubble up pretty big once you add the Oxyclean.

egoldber
09-21-2002, 10:36 AM
While the enzymes do a lot of the work, alcohol actually does work on a lot of stains. It is great, for instance, for getting out ink stains.