PDA

View Full Version : looking for shoe-type slippers

dueinapril
09-23-2002, 11:44 AM
My son (5 mos old) is in need of some type of 'day shoe' or slipper that he can wear throughout the day. We live in Wisconsin and the mornings are getting cold! His daycare provider walks him in the morning as she takes her children to school. I use socks for now, but I am looking for something more substantial instead of shoes (which he kicks off and doesn't seem as comfortable as slippers). Does anybody have any ideas of where I can find something that is comfortable, warm, and will cover his feet during the day? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

KimberleyDawn
09-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the type of shoe you are looking for but even if they aren't they are still cute to look at :)(www.robeez.com).
Kim

egoldber
09-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Check out Robeez and Bobux. They may be just the thing!
www.robeez.com
www.bobux.com

Also, at places like TJ Maxx and Target, I have seen thick slippers with a "sole" for babies. This may also work. But the Robeez and Bobux really stay on.

HTH,

ct
09-23-2002, 01:49 PM
My mom bought my daughter moccasins (Minnetonka brand I believe) when she was quite young and DD just loved them. HTH

ct

brubeck
09-23-2002, 06:26 PM
If you don't care about cost Padders makes some great slippers for $10 a pair. You can find these at various specialty baby stores and on the internet. One Step Ahead and Land's End also make expensive (but high quality) baby slippers. One Step Ahead has a type they claim that babies cannot kick off.

If you want to be reasonably priced, Target makes slippers under the name Cherokee Baby that are $4 per pair and are terrific. Warning though, buy one size too big because they shrink in the wash. The boys' ones are extra nice because they have leathery soles (good for beginning walkers).

Walmart also makes some that are $3 a pair but I have found they tend to pill and look awful pretty quickly.

Lastly, I have seen cheap slippers at TRU/BRU but I have never tried them myself.

mary b
09-23-2002, 07:58 PM
hi Beth, do you recommend these for a 12 month old walker? I am looking for an alternative to the heavy shoes for fall/winter for indoors.

Thanks!

egoldber
09-23-2002, 10:27 PM
If you mean the Robeez/Bobux types, these shoes are wonderful. Of course, my 13 month old isn't walking yet (!), but friends of mine with them do really well! If you mean the other shoes, I have not personally seen them on a walking baby or tried them.

HTH,

sntm
09-24-2002, 01:32 PM
try hanna anderson too! I think they have some.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)

trumansmom
09-25-2002, 09:31 AM
My not-quite-10 month old walker loves his Robeez! They stay on great and make slippery floors not so slippery.

We also have the thicker Padders that we found at TJ Maxx for about $5. I like them okay, but he's managed to take them off a couple of times. We use those for around the house, and the Robeez for daycare.

cara1
09-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Robeez, Bobux, Elefanten, and Hanna Anderson's...are these really okay for walkers (outside)? What about walkers who still eat their feet? Are these shoes non-toxic?

Melanie
09-25-2002, 12:46 PM
I just checked bobux.com and noticed this brand says "non-toxic leather."

My son isn't an independent walker yet, but we are definitely going with this soft-sole style. I think it makes it easier for them to find a natural gait, as opposed to kids you see walking funny b/c their shoes are heavy/awkward. However, this is an untested theory of mine. ;-) There are other reasons people choose soft-soled as well...there was another thread on this somewhere...

Mommy to Jonah

trumansmom
09-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Since Truman's still a bit wobbly, he mainly does his walking inside, and his Robeez are great for that. However, since we live in South Dakota, I wanted something more substantial for outside now that the weather is starting to turn. So for outside I got a pair of Stride Rites. Found a great deal on clearance ($20) and then went to Target for their Kidsmart line which is made by Stride Rite.

I have no clue about the toxicity! I'm going to assume that they are okay. I'd be more worried about the yucky stuff they walk through! But then again, after all the gross things I've pulled out of Truman's mouth, I'm a bit jaded!

belindapooh
10-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Ok I'm in the predicament to buy some "shoes" for my 8-mth dd. Her caregivers at "school" say that she's pulling herself up on everything and with just socks she often slips on the floor but ok on the carpet. I saw the Robeez, shoobkids, and padders online. It's hard to decide since I can't see them or try them on dd's feet. Not to mention she's a tiny one with very little feet. We do have a Stride Rite store nearby so I plan to venture there as well as TJ Maxx and Target. I don't want to restrict her from learning how to walk so what do you think I should get dd for daycare? Thanks.

Belinda
FTWM to Nyah born 2/6/02

Melanie
10-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Socks with rubber grips on the bottom? Ds wears Old Navy (7 pairs for $10) but I have also seen Gap (4 pairs for $10) and Carters. These definitely did the trick until recently (10.5 mo) when he started taking them off, but only occasionally.

Mommy to Jonah

webma
10-03-2002, 08:59 AM
My daughter wears bobux and loves them so much she puts her feet out for me to put them on. She has the standard shoe and a higher top one called a jodphur. She's worn them when she was learning to walk and now that she walks, speed walks and climbs. I use them for indoors and on trips outside. She doesn't do a lot of independent walking outside.

If you want warm slippers for indoors like the ones at lands end check out rei outlet they are selling them for $5 or $6 and small sizes are less than a $1. No that's not a typo.

belindapooh
10-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I ordered me a pair of Robeez and Padders. I went ahead a bought a pair from Stride Rite. What's everyone's opinion on them? Thanks.
Belinda
FTWM to Nyah born 2/6/02

Shirale
10-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Just another plug fot the Hanna Andersons- they are perfect slippers for the indoors! My DD loves them, and can't pull them off! Plus, they are (of course) amazing quality!

maddav
10-09-2002, 11:36 AM
I just got my DD her first pair of bobux. Eureka! She has a sock fetish--taking them off and losing them all around the house. So far, she can't get them off. BTW, they are much better priced on the website than in the store, even with shipping.

Melanie
10-09-2002, 05:10 PM
They are so cute! We got cream puppy...anyway, my little sock-puller can't get these off! He wore them for about an hour today and when I took them off his feet were pretty hot, so they're a touch warm for us right now (low 80's here), but it will probably be a while before he's walking alone outside anyhow. He's just in the cruising stage. Also, whomever suggested measuring the feet, was right on. Ds is 11 months, wears size 18 months clothes, but the Robeez are size 12-18 months. It's funny how their little body parts don't grow at the same pace.

Mommy to Jonah