PDA

View Full Version : Buying sneakers for a new walker

sophiesmom
09-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Just wondering what anyone recommends for sneakers. DD (14 mos) is now starting to walk, and needs sneakers now that the weather here in PA is getting cooler. I've been looking a regular low top sneakers (Nike, they are only $19 at Kohls). Also, what about tie vs. velcro. I am assuming velcro is ok for her...
Thanks!

luvbeinmama
09-28-2002, 04:27 PM
I've been buying Stride Rite from the local outlet (about 1/2 price of reg store), and DS has done very well with them. A lot of people like the Robeez-type shoes (more like mocassins... soft soled).

Re: tie vs. velcro... velcro is GREAT!!! However, tie is probably better while the child still crawls around some. It's hard to crawl while velcro shoes are getting stuck on the carpet!! After they are up and walking all the time, get velcro. It's much faster on & off (great for wiggly children). Be aware, though, that they can also operate the velcro and will probably undo the velcro a bunch until the novelty wears off (then the frequency drops off, it doesn't really stop! LOL!). With DS, he would constantly undo the velcro in the car, and I'd just re-fasten it right before taking him out of the car seat. He never bothered with it while walking around. I had velcro sandals for him this summer, and he takes them off when he feels like it (esp. in the car!). So I ended up putting them back on a bit more often than the sneakers. HTH!!! :)

stella
10-05-2002, 09:49 PM
When I bought them I thought they wee canvas and would not have bought the leather because I would have thought that it was unnecessary for a one-year old.

BUT these little shoes have really taken some wear and still look good because they are leather. A pediatrician friend said that the little tennis shoes - not running shoes - are the best to protect their feet when walking outside or on rougher surfaces becasue the soles are flexible and flat - without an excee of cushion like the running shoes.

We are going to the keds/stride rite outlet tomorrow to stock up - because they have worn so well and I am afraid of not being able to find his onen pair of shoes.

We did have a cute little pair of jumping jacks that were Teva lookalikes until our dog ate them. They were so easy to get on and off - and soon my baby learned that as well. He loved taking them off - or just undoing the velcro and walking around with them unfastened.

Good Luck!