PDA

View Full Version : Dresses for special occasions?

Rachels
09-30-2002, 08:24 AM
We are having a dedication ceremony for our daughter in a few weeks, and I'm having trouble finding a dress for her. Most of what I've seen is either too casual or is clearly a christening gown. We're an interfaith family, so I need something that isn't so obviously intended for a particular religion. I don't need something outrageously frilly, just nice. Does anyone know a good online site for pretty, dressy, but not-over-the-top girls' clothes? Thanks!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
09-30-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't know of any online stores, but we were able to find a beautiful velvet and taffeta dress for my neice last year at Babies R Us for my wedding. She was two months old and my sister was a bridesmaid, so we wanted a similar color dress and dressy enough for family pictures. They had quite a nice selection last year and it was right around this time of year that we found it. Otherwise, I did see a couple dressier jumpers in velvet online at Gap, but those may still be too casual. Good luck!

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

Shirale
09-30-2002, 04:42 PM
I actually posted a similar question a couple months ago and got great responces, depending on how much you are interested in spending there are different options. I found that at Lord and Taylor they had some beautiful things at pretty good prices. Also, Off saks (if you are near one) has beautiful girls things at amazing proces, sometimes Marshalls or in NY Daffy's, Century 21 have the Italian/French stuff for wonderful prices. Macy's stuff is usually better for older babies...where do you live, maybe I can help more if I know what kinds of stores are around!

Rachels
09-30-2002, 04:53 PM
I live in Boston. I've checked out major department stores, although not the ones in the city. I looked up your old post. What's wooden soldier? I saw the link, but couldn't figure out how to find a current catalog.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

thorsmom
10-01-2002, 12:36 AM
You may want to check out this online store: http://www.rainbee.com
They have some lovely dresses. Under their special offers section they have designer dresses from past seasons at discounted prices.

Shirale
10-01-2002, 09:23 AM
I am not sure about the Wooden Soldier but here are 3 options in MA:
Saturday’s Child: 1762 Mass. Av.,Cambridge.617-661 6402
Calliope: 33 Brattle St., Cambridge. 617-876 4149
Sophie‘s Closet: Mill Village, Sudbury. 978-443 4838
I know that we received baby gifts from Sophie's closet (my parents live in MA)
These stores may have more unique things...I also know that my sister in law bought us some beauitful (not frilly or overdone) dresses and things at Tartine et Chocolat, but these are all on the more expensive side. (I think Sophie's closet has sales). HtH,

mspacman
10-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Have you tried Baby Depot/BCF, JC Penney, a Carter's outlet or Children's Place? I've seen very pretty "picture dresses" for babies at all of them.

egoldber
10-01-2002, 12:14 PM
I have had the best luck at Lord&Taylor and baby specialty stores. The prices are generally better at Lord&Taylor. If you have a BuyBuyBaby nearby, they carry some really beautiful things.

HTH,