PDA

View Full Version : How Many Clothes at the Beginning?

kclm
10-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Hi,

Clueless first-time Mom-to-be here :)...how many of each clothing item (gowns, t-shirts, onesies, sleepers, etc.) do I really need for the first few months? Help! Thank you!

KL

due 11/12/02

mamahill
10-08-2002, 11:39 PM
I think we had 6-8 onesies and 2 undershirts that snapped at the side (for the cord). We have 5 nightgowns that dd still fits into (she swam in them the first couple months, but she weighed 5-14 to begin with). We had about 6 sleepers and they were great, though she stayed in her nightgowns for the first month or so, unless we were going out. I had a sleeper from BabyGap someone gave us in a set and it was our favorite - it didn't have feet, but it was SO cute! The sleepers with feet are nice because the socks don't fall off as easily. Plus, the socks help the sleepers to fit better in the beginning, keeping the feet from being pulled up into the body (does that make sense?:))

Other things I recommend: A package of cloth diapers (usually 12) to serve as burp cloths or any other all-purpose-baby-wipe. The pretty ones are nice looking and I'd take one when we went out and about, but at home and as a back-up, I always had my white diapers. Instead of wipes, we used a package of washcloths that we could rinse out a couple times before throwing in the dirty clothes hamper (was paranoid about a skin reaction of some type). Good socks for baby - there've been a few discussions about socks - I have found that the cuter sock, the worse they fit. So we stick with the traditional solid color fold-down ones (I can't recall what brand - BRU). I found some nice thinner white ones at BRU (I think the package said bobbie socks).

It's nice to have a supply of things, but you'll be doing a ton of laundry so you'll cycle through pretty fast. While jeans look cute, they don't look/feel that comfortable. Our favorite pants for dd are a couple different kinds of sweats or knit pants from Old Navy or BabyGap. With winter coming, I'd say to get some long-sleeved onesies.

ok, enough for now (are you still reading?! lol). Good luck - it's amazing how you learn as you go.

ps - oh - lap pads! we only have two crib sheets but put a lap pad (we have 5) under dd's head when she sleeps so if she spits up, we just throw that in the wash. i think we've changed her sheets once since she was born...

egoldber
10-09-2002, 08:36 AM
What Sarah said sounds about like what I had. My DD lived mostly in sleepers and onesies for her first several months. I tend to "underdress" my baby compared to most people, didn't layer too much, etc. It never even occured to me to put socks on her inside the sleeper, LOL!

Since you're having a winter baby, I would invest mostly in sleepers for your baby's wardrobe. BRU has some absolutely adorable striped ones now, 2 for $16. BuyBuyBaby has very nice thick cotton ones with feet for $9.99, if one of their stores is near you. Some people really like the gowns, but I always found that they didn't stay "down". I would find DD in her crib with the whole gown bunched up around her neck. I would only buy a few of each type thing initially, and then buy more of whatever works best for you and your baby.

HTH,

jra
10-09-2002, 09:55 AM
I never put socks on my son's feet if his sleeper had feet. My sitter did that occassionally and his feet would actually feel colder when he had socks on under the feeted sleeper. I think his feet got too hot and would sweat and then get cold.

Jennifer

m2tandk
10-09-2002, 10:21 AM
This was what I received as gifts. We had 6-8 onesies and 4-6 either snap side or over the head tshirts. I also had 4 gowns too and both my kids loved the gowns. About 6 sleepers, and probably 10 pairs of booties or socks. I bought a few extra within the first week with both my kids, especially sleepers. I didn't want to have to do a bunch of laundry every day. So, I probably ended up with about 8-10 of each(onesies and sleepers). Hope that helps!

Kelly

luvbeinmama
10-09-2002, 06:22 PM
I loved the gowns, but yes, they do tend to ride up. Although I never had that problem while DS was sleeping, it was when we picked him up.

Oh, and Carter's Outlet has the CUTEST sleepers right now that are terrycloth outer and fleeced on the inside!!! Only $7. Great for winter.

I, also, never doubled up the footwear. If there were feet on the outfit, I did not use socks. Of course So. Calif. never really gets THAT cold! Someone mentioned the feet being colder when doubled up. That actually makes a LOT of sense considering some experiences I've had. It's better to have air insulation than wet-from-sweating insulation. Once it's wet, it gets cold. I've experienced the one layer is warmer than 2 layers phenomenon with gloves and glove liners in the snow.

I never used the snap shirts. Just gowns, onesies, & sleepers (besides other special outfits).

I really don't remember exactly how many I had of each, but probably about 5-6 gowns, 6+ onesies, 4 sleepers and a few cute outfits for going out. I've been going through some of DS's old clothes in preparation for DD. Some of the stuff is too boyish, and some are stained beyond recognition! LOL!

If you have an abundance of one type of thing I would leave some in the packaging so you can return it if it turns out that you don't use them or don't need so many.

nohomama
10-10-2002, 03:36 AM
Like Beth said, I would only buy a few of each thing to see what works best for you and your baby. My daughter was born on September 4th and for the first few weeks while the weather was still warm she wore t-shirts, onesies, or lightweight Gap/Old Navy sleepers during the day. I found gowns invaluable a night. They made diaper changes quick and uncomplicated especially as we were getting the hang of dressing and undressing a newborn. As the weather got cooler (we live in the Northeast) we layered onesies, t-shirts, and knit pants.

Too start, I'd tell you to get mostly onesies (at least a half dozen) and only 2 or 3 of eveything else. The rest will be dicatated by what you like and what works for you, your climate, and how many times a week you want to do laundry.

Sarah