PDA

View Full Version : Will my November-born baby need a coat or will I use more of a one-piece...

stella
10-12-2002, 04:35 PM
She is due at the end of November and it will get cold here (in Texas), but I can't decide if I should get a jacket or if that will be a total waste of money.

I like all of the snowsuit/bundler one pieces that I see in Hanna Andersson and somehow thing that may be more practical.

For car trips, she will mostly keep warm with blankets, right?
For outdoor strolls, a jacket makes sense, but if it's cold enoughto cover her chest well, wouldn't an extra layer on her legs be helpful as well?

And I just can't see her with a fleece jacket on in the Bjorn - seems so bulky.

Most of her wardrobe to date includes sleepers and long-legged onesie-rompers. UNtil she's 4 or 5 months old, keeping warm will be an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions from parents of winter newborns!

Shirale
10-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Hi! My dd was a dec baby and we live in NYC where it gets quite cold and we spend a lot of time walking b/c that's what city people do! So- I had a 1 piece snowsuit that was very warm, which I put on her with a hat when she went in the stroller (which has a boot- great invention!) and if it was really cold- I tucked a blanket around her.
If you don't want to only get a 1 piece- you could try 2 piece snowsuits (I think Baby Gap has now, maybe Lands End too). I don't know hold cold Texas gets but babies get cold really easily. That said- they also overheat easily! I got her a great lined sweatshirt/jacket and on days that it wasn't too cold I put her in that and a hat over a nice warm onesie and tucked a blanket around her and that was great. But some babies a active and don't like that. I fit my DD just great into my baby bjorn with her snowsuit, BTW. Anyhow- sorry for the rambling- main point- layers! Then you can add or remove at different times. Good Luck!

mspacman
10-14-2002, 10:06 PM
My daughter was born last November. I got several fleece snowsuits as gifts, but I used one only a couple of times and never even touched the rest. For the car seat, I got the Baby Bundle (aka Bundle Me) which was great. Underneath it, she wore just a long sleeved bodysuit and pants and socks, and maybe a receiving blanket if it was really cold. When we went out for walks, I just bundled her up in blankets. I didn't have a Bjorn till she was several months old and spring had arrived, but I would think a snowsuit would be too bulky and make the legs hard to fit. You can always wrap the Bjorn with a blanket or your own coat instead. I'd say forget the snowsuit (winter babies usually get at least one as a gift anyway) and stock up on blankets of various materials instead for layering.

Fiasco
10-15-2002, 09:37 AM
I'm due in 6 days (yikes!) and I've had the same dilemma. The other poster was right- I've received several snowsuits or fleece suits as gifts, so I didnt have to buy any.

That said, we are planning on using the Wrap N' Ride from One Step Ahead. it's like the Bundle Me bunting, but has slight differences in how it's installed in the seat. the Bundle Me has openings for the straps, so you have to unlace them and put them through. the Wrap N' Ride has a velcro slit that you undo and then refasten under the straps. Much easier! this can stay in your car seat for the car, stroller, etc. If we're going outside without the car seat, i'll have the snowsuits that we received as gifts. I'm guessing that this will do!

many people like the Bundle Me or Wrap N Ride because if you're going in and out of stores, you dont have to pull a snowsuit on and off the baby. You just unzip the bunting and the baby doesnt have to get moved around.

hope this helps!
kerry

lmintzer
10-15-2002, 06:34 PM
DS was 7 months last Nov., so he had already just grown out of his infant car seat (so no Bundle Me, etc.). We chose to buy a fleece bunting (with feet) from LL Kids. It worked out really well--so easy to get on and off, and very soft and cozy. It had a hood which was great if we were just making a quick car trip. Also could easily throw on a fleece hat with a velcro strap (from Baby Gap) for stroller rides. I liked the buntings from LL Kids and from Lands End. Pretty reaonsably priced for the quality. You can also buy Patagonia, Columbia Sportsware, but frankly, it's probably not worth the extra money for those brands.

Best of luck with your new arrival!

Lisa
& Jack, 18 months

newbelly2002
10-16-2002, 03:28 AM
Since my baby was due in early August in VA I hadn't given winter stuff a second thought. But then we moved to Berlin, Germany and it SNOWED on Sunday--not just flurries, but actual accumulation!

My MIL had bought us a Carter's one piece which we use with the Baby Bjorn (and now affectionately refer to as the Tundra Suit). It keeps him quite cozy--based on skin temperature when we take him out--and doesn't ride up and bunch as much a jacket would. It also keeps his legs toasty warm where normal pants again bunch up in the middle and expose his ankles. He's a little guy (11 lbs at 10 weeks), but he still fits nicely. And Texas will certainly be warmer than here so you shouldn't need anything more heavy duty than that.

Just be sure whatever you choose has zippers down the front. It's a necessity.