PDA

View Full Version : Size issue with winter coats for small(er) toddler

lmintzer
10-15-2002, 06:30 PM
DS is almost 18 months and is relatively small (25% for weight and height). I was searching for a winter coat and matching bib overalls for him, and the problem I keep running into is that most companies (Lands End, LL Kids, Columbia Sportsware, for ex.) make coats in 12-18 months and then jump to 2T. Although the 12-18 might fit him now, I am doubtful it would in Jan. or Feb. (in Chicago, we'll definitely still need our winter coats then). The 2T sizes I've tried on him are ridiculously big (Nordstoms is having a sale on their Columbias, btw). What he really needs is a 18-24 month size--it would be just a tad big now but should make it through the winter.

Does anyone know of other good outdoorware that comes in 18-24 months? I know Baby Gap has a down coat in that size that fits him pretty well. I hear they will have snowpants/bibs as well coming in. My one concern with this item is that since it is down, will it not be as good for snow play? It's also probably bulkier than the Polertec items which isn't so safe for carseats.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Did anyone decide to go with the Baby Gap coat this year? Right now, it's on sale for $48 and you get a free pair of fleece mittens with it.

One other question: has anyone seen a nice zip-up fleece with a hood for more moderate fall days or for layering?

Thanks,
Lisa
& Jack, 18 months

emmiem
10-16-2002, 07:47 AM
Talbots Kids has Columbia Coats and matching bibs for infants in the size you need. I have a 20 month small baby who has the same size problems as yours. I ordered the 18 month size and it is wonderful. Also, Gymboree has 4 in 1 coats which have that fleece layer that you can take out. Lands End also makes good fleece jackets.

lmintzer
10-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the information. Unfotunately, I believe what we need is a 24 month size (18-24). The 18 (12-18) will probably not get us through the winter (though maybe I'm wrong and he won't grow that much). The difference between a 24 month size and a 2T is substantial. It is frustrataing that Columbia Coats doesn't make a 24 months size. I'll check out Gymboree. Thanks!

Lisa
& Jack

emmiem
10-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Recheck Talbots Kids. I bought the 18 month size which is 18-24 months.

APG
10-19-2002, 07:30 AM
also have a small toddler. Although she is 23 months, she is in the 10-15% weight range. DO NOT buy for size. TRY EVERYTHING ON!!!! Last year i bought her a sm=nowsuit in a 12-18 month size because that is what everyone said i had to buy. well it was ridiculously huge and she will be able to comfortably wear it this year. Try the 12-18 month snowsuit on. If it is big (but not huge) he will probable get the winter out of it. if, on the other hand, it fits just right now, then go bigger

lmintzer
10-21-2002, 11:16 AM
Hmm, how strange. I called the store back, and they told me 18 months was 12-18. They gave me the weight/height brackets, and ds may be just on the verge of too big anyway (we just went to the doctor's today and he is 24 lbs. 10 oz. and 32 inches). I think he might grow out of this size too quickly.

Oh well--we'll see what else we can find. Maybe we'll stick with our Baby Gap down jacket and get a fleece for car rides where we won't be going outside for long.

Thanks for the info.

Lisa
& Jack, 18 months