PDA

View Full Version : diaper rash solution

NancyB
10-24-2002, 08:58 AM
any solutions for diaper rash I have tried the traditional

Rachels
10-24-2002, 09:16 AM
I like the Burt's Bees Baby Bee stuff, both the diaper rash cream and the regular skin cream. Also, try to give your baby's bottom as much exposure to air as possible, and try to keep an eye on your diet if you're nusing. Sometimes food sensitivities present in the form of diaper rash. You might also try Lansinoh for the rash. Breastmilk also works. HTH!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

NancyB
10-24-2002, 09:21 AM
where do you get it burt bees?

Rachels
10-24-2002, 09:39 AM
You can order online at www.burtsbees.com. Also, a lot of health food stires carry it. Just look for the "Baby Bee" products.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
10-24-2002, 01:08 PM
When my DD had a bout of diarrhea accompanied by severe diaper rash (that lasted almost 2 weeks), the ped said to stop using all baby wipes and just rinse her off underneath the faucet. Then to apply basically any diaper rash cream but apply it THICK, like cream cheese on a bagel. If she was just wet, he said not to wipe, because that takes the protective covering off. If she was dirty, then rinse. I found it easiest to do this using an inflatable infant tub and cup to rinse with.

A friend of mine recommended using Aquaphor (from any pharmacy) underneath the diaper rash cream and that seemed to help also.

HTH,

egoldber
10-24-2002, 01:10 PM
If you have a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods/Fresh Fields or a Wild Oats nearby, these stores carry it. I've never tried it though.

HTH,

KathyO
10-24-2002, 10:16 PM
My DD isn't given to diaper rash, but while we were travelling she picked up this angry red rash that wouldn't respond to ANYTHING I tried. Finally we got it diagnosed as candida/yeast-caused, and used a 1% clotrimazole cream which cleared it up like magic.

If the rash is a deep, angry red, and has formed into a solid area with small, round "satellite" dots near it, it may be yeast. Your doctor could tell you for sure.

My neighbour is a nurse at the province's Hospital for Sick Children. She says that when the regular kind of diaper rash won't respond to the usual medications, the nurses use a whipped-up mixture of egg whites and a bit of brandy (kept in the fridge between applications). She swears it works, and they even use it on the newborns.

For less dire cases they use Desitin - the funny smell it has is cod liver oil.

Good luck,

KathyO

ecarley
11-05-2002, 03:37 PM
You can also try oatmeal in the bathtub. Grind up some plain oatmeal in a food processor or blender, and then funnel it into an adult sock. Tie off the sock, and run the bathwater over it. Let the baby sit in an inch or two of water, just to soak for a while. It's supposed to be very soothing.

And also, you could try using a little powder with zinc oxide at every diaper change. Gold bond makes an expensive baby powder, which is 3.99 for 4 ounces here. Johnson and Johnson medicated (with the yellow colored labeling) is 2.99 for 14 ounces.

DeborahM
11-12-2002, 03:01 PM
I want to add to the diet & breastfeeding comment. My baby had bad diaper rash as a newborn -- until I gave up all dairy products, which was giving him painful gas, as well. I was surprised when the diaper rash cleared up as well -- I had tried Destin & a couple other creams.

Rachels
11-12-2002, 05:06 PM
We havealso recently discovered the wonders of Weleda Calendula Cream! It's great stuff.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
11-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Ds gets one whenever he is on antibiotics that bug his stomach. I bought Pampers Rash Care diapers (now I found some at Big Lots), did Aveeno Oatmeal baths in cool water for 10 min. daily, put on Lotrimin (when they are yeasty), then Triple Paste Diaper Ointment, Then vaseline. We use soft cloth wipes from Target and they felt a touch better to him (I made the mistake of buying another brand soft cloth wipes that had alcohol in them at first!!) The poor guy would scream in agony with each change, and they had to be more often due to the rash. It was like a Catch-22.

Mommy to Jonah